PDA

View Full Version : Bet river?

SlyGuy
10-20-2005, 01:21 AM
I seem to be giving up on the river a lot right now.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP folds, SB folds.

Turn: (3 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (5 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Surfbullet
10-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Hey Slyguy,

You have to bet this river OOP. Your hand is too strong to fold, so you are definitely calling a bet. Since your average 2/4er is a calling station-esque player, it is CRITICAL to value-bet these situations. He will call you with nearly any pair, and sometimes a missed, A-hi flush draw. When you check through all those crappy pairs that he would have called with, and bet Qs and Ks, which leaves you in much worse shap when he does bet.

Punish your opponents for calling too much - relentlessly value-bet. I'd bet AQ here, easy. K7 is an absolute must.

Surf

jph0424
10-20-2005, 01:34 AM
I value bet this every time. Not too many players call down with top pair. Unless you have a read you must bet this as he will call with many hands that you beat.

joker122
10-20-2005, 01:53 AM
you folding to a raise?