PDA

View Full Version : dye my hair or not?

whiskeytown
10-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Here's the dillio - I am 75% grey haired - still have most of it but it looks like it's slightly thinning on top (or else grey hair has less body - I think a combo of both) -

and I'm only 33 years old -

NOW, I can color it and look younger and try to meet younger girls, or I can leave it frosted looking (which some people actually do to their hair on purpose, I'm told) - and just see if I can meet the hot 21 year old that likes dating older men.

I can do a Just for Men - quick coverup that's good for about 2 or 3 months - takes 10 min. - or else I can go au natural -

I'm leaning towards au natural - opinions? At this point, it's mostly vanity because I'm single - if I met a nice girl who liked it salt and peppered, I'd leave it in a heartbeat - cause it's a pain to color every two months - but I am starting to get old and vain at 33

RB

10-20-2005, 12:08 AM
I kind of prefer the natural look and you have a good face so I think you won't have any problem

RacersEdge
10-20-2005, 12:08 AM
I hope I didn't push you off the deep end with my comments in the grey hair on women thread.

peachy
10-20-2005, 12:10 AM
i like guys with some grey hair...at times i find it very attractive

whiskeytown
10-20-2005, 12:15 AM
not really - but you brought up an interesting point for me to think about.

I got a haircut two weeks ago and it was short enough to cut all dye from the previous cut - so now I'm half and half - I'm REALLY tired of coloring it - I'm starting to get old enough where vanity doesn't suit me as well as it once did, even if I'm still not getting laid. - my barber told me she thought I should just leave it natural - it was a good color, she said and some people pay to have it colored like this.

and esp. since I don't barhop anymore, the logic behind putting in a ton of effort merely to LOOK younger (as opposed to feel younger) is sorta lost on me -

I think women are 50/50 on it - as long as I still have most of it - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've also got a few now on the chin - and a few on the chest - I draw the line at checking the pubes - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

man
10-20-2005, 12:16 AM
dude whatever makes you feel comfortable. physical traits are so secondary to personality and whatnot. if you can act yourself with grey hair, do that man. however if you feel that a dyed rendition of yourself would improve your personality, then that path is for you. know yourself.

whiskeytown
10-20-2005, 12:18 AM
honestly -

you know what they say - it's not the years, it's the miles -

I'm only 33 but it was a hell of a lot of miles - this is probably stress related grey hair -

what I need are a couple good lays and and compliments from girls and then I'll never go back - like when that girl told me she liked my sideburns once - then I had sideburns for 5 years afterwards - LOL

RB

StevieG
10-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Women's taste vary as much as men's. Ask about contact lenses, you'll find some like glasses on a guy. You're going to find women who like grey hair.

The only thing that matters is how you feel. If eyeglasses or grey hair make you feel awkward, you'll act awkwardly. And if you find putting in lenses or dying your hair to be a chore, you'll resent doing it.

If you're comfortable with how you look, don't change because you anticipate what others will want. That never works.

Exitonly
10-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Gray is not bad at all.. Infact, i've thought about trtying to find hair dye to go silver/gray.

man
10-20-2005, 12:30 AM
well, if your miles are wearing down your ability to act like yourself, then [censored] it. renew yourself. but I sort of feel like learning to deal with yourself and your own shortcomings is part of what is gonna make you happy in the long run. remember, it's easier to lower your standards than it is to find someone who meets your standards.

man, what a pessimistic outlook. do what feels natural, I guess. and make sure to take the rest of your life into consideration.

whiskeytown
10-20-2005, 12:31 AM
I already knew when I created the poll I was gonna leave it grey for awhile, I guess - I was just curious what others thought and if they would do it in my spot.

RB

man
10-20-2005, 12:35 AM
what a brilliant use of server space. haha. hope things work out for you mano.

whiskeytown
10-20-2005, 12:40 AM
yes, SIIHP is so much less a waste of space - LOL

RB

10-20-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yes, SIIHP is so much less a waste of space - LOL

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

SIIYP

Brainwalter
10-20-2005, 04:59 AM
Dying hair is for chicks, imo. I told my best friend this the other day.

samjjones
10-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Buzz it.

Bluffoon
10-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Im 42 and Im trying to age gracefully. I also recommend trying to attract women slightly older than you may be used to. You may be surprised how attractive a little experience and maturity can be.

Pyromaniac
10-20-2005, 10:18 AM
chicks dig Anderson Cooper, FWIW...

really, in most cases something like this is totally irrelevant, I think. If a girl is into you, she'll have a "what cool hair color he's got" attitude...if she's not, she might be in the "he's got grey hair--YUCK" category. But in either case, it doesn't really have anything to do with your hair. With people we like, we tend to find the details about them attractive. With people we don't, the opposite.

Coloring your hair isn't really about the hair, tho, que no? It seems to send the message "I'm insecure about my hair"...and that's what could make things worse, not better. Chicks prefer grey hair to insecurity most times, I think.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Women seem to either hate or love grey hair, but a ton of them seem to love it. At least, that's what I've heard them say about a billion times, and not when my hair was grey, so it wasn't in reference to me or to make me feel good or anything.

I think the main thing is to make it look natural. Some people choose flashy, fake looking hair colors and it just looks bizarre, especially on a weathered face. The next step is mascara, and then rouge. So, make the choice that doesn't make people say, Is that for real?

I think the main thing is to do what makes you feel good. If you feel more dynamic or whatever, or attractive, when your hair is colored, that will bring a positive effect to the rest of your life. This might be for you, since you raised the subject in the first place. If you want to not dye your hair, fine, but don't either dye or not dye because of a feeling of what you "should" do, but because of how it makes you feel or if it authentically makes you look better.

And remember that if you dye, you have to keep it up, or it looks like crap. I don't know if other guys feel this way about women who dye their hair, but so many women have roots that don't match their hair, and to me it looks both awful and ridiculous. And cheap, street ho style. Either do it right or don't do it at all, because when it's done wrong, it looks REALLY really bad. Keep up the maintenance.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im 42 and Im trying to age gracefully. I also recommend trying to attract women slightly older than you may be used to. You may be surprised how attractive a little experience and maturity can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

A whole lot of women, even very young ones, are often attracted to older men, at least if the rest of you looks vigorous. If the rest of you looks decayed, grey hair isn't going to be a selling point. But that's not the only selling point about a man being older, anyway.

Blarg
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
LOL, I've get a grey pube and chest hair once in a while, and my moustache definitely gets frequently stray greys. I tell ya, getting your first grey pubic hair can sure scramble your brain for a minute.

Bluffoon
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A whole lot of women, even very young ones, are often attracted to older men, at least if the rest of you looks vigorous. If the rest of you looks decayed, grey hair isn't going to be a selling point. But that's not the only selling point about a man being older, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh I was talking about the women but I agree...

Blarg
10-20-2005, 11:02 AM
The glasses point is a good one. Many people look better with glasses; the thing is, to get the kind of glasses that fit and complement your face, not the shape or style that's in fashion. It doesn't do you an ounce of good to be in fashion and look bad. Your bone structure doesn't change to keep up with fads.

PokerGoblin
10-20-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's the dillio

[/ QUOTE ]

I quit reading after I saw this.

And I thought you were one of the cool ones here.

astroglide
10-20-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Buzz it.

[/ QUOTE ]

4_2_it
10-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Halloween is coming up. You have the perfect excuse to dye it and see how you like it. If it looks bad or you get some negative comments you can always use the Halloween costume excuse.

shant
10-20-2005, 12:35 PM
When I was 19 I tried to get a lady at a salon to dye my hair grey. She looked at me like I was a retard and so I left.

whiskeytown
10-20-2005, 09:22 PM
the occasional channeling of Ned Flanders is cool - have you seen him without his shirt on? growl.....<sly look>

RB

Maulik
10-20-2005, 09:59 PM
post pictures, 'nuff said.

whiskeytown
10-20-2005, 10:04 PM
you must think I'm a naked woman or something -

oh dear. Maybe I shouldn't have put my admiration of Ned Flanders in print.

RB

partygirluk
10-20-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i like guys with some grey hair...at times i find it very attractive

[/ QUOTE ]

Dye your hair.

Maulik
10-20-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you must think I'm a naked woman or something -

oh dear. Maybe I shouldn't have put my admiration of Ned Flanders in print.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

we can have an idea of how it looks, if its looks good, forget about it.

whiskeytown
10-20-2005, 10:33 PM
let me see what I can do - photos forthcoming -

RB