PDA

View Full Version : Confess your poker sins

popesc
10-19-2005, 11:59 PM
I did something really stupid at the poker table (online) today. I was rude to a fish and scared him away from the table. This is probably the worst thing I've ever done (poker-wise). Please berate me.

If you feel like it, confess your poker sins here.

mikeyworm
10-20-2005, 12:48 AM
i paly party blackjack too much. /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I'm ahead, but I know it won't last.

mosquito
10-20-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did something really stupid at the poker table (online) today. I was rude to a fish and scared him away from the table. This is probably the worst thing I've ever done (poker-wise). Please berate me.

If you feel like it, confess your poker sins here.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is not enough room to post all my sins, nor time to write them. Just thinking about it makes me squeamish.

10-20-2005, 02:05 AM
Yeah, one time after I got all in on the flop with a monster draw and hit, this guy was whining about my play, and I explained to him how I was a coinflip to win it, he was never actually ahead

angst
10-20-2005, 02:22 AM
I tilt.

4_2_it
10-20-2005, 08:53 AM
I watched every episode of TILT.

Bosox
10-20-2005, 08:59 AM
betting unborn children on the special olympics results.

10-20-2005, 09:04 AM
I call my opponents dumb butt though I know I should not.

I bluff too much.

I use stop and go too much.

I think I am better than my opponents.

I don't dance enough.

vexvelour
10-20-2005, 09:17 AM
I sometimes hit and run cash games /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Justin A
10-20-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i paly party blackjack too much. /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I'm ahead, but I know it won't last.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no such thing as playing Party Blackjack too much. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Justin A
10-20-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes hit and run cash games /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a poker sin. A poker sin would be getting mad at someone who does this.

BlindingLaser
10-20-2005, 09:29 AM
It's a poker sin if he's a winner in the game and he "should" be playing...he's relaxed, well-rested, and feeling like playing poker.

Jeffage
10-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Delete the blackjack feature. Then you won't have to worry about it.

Jeff

arod15
10-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Too aggressive....

10-20-2005, 12:34 PM
I don't give weak/loose players credit for having decent hands.

dtbog
10-20-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I watched every episode of TILT.

[/ QUOTE ]

dtbog
10-20-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is probably the worst thing I've ever done (poker-wise).

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.panik-design.com/acatalog/b-blomus-t-box.jpg

10-20-2005, 12:52 PM
I play the badbeat tables sometimes...shhh, dont tell anyone...

I call a raise and a reraise set farming...

I play too many tables at once and make stupid mistakes occasionally due to this...

revots33
10-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Chasing flush draws even when I know I shouldn't.

10-20-2005, 01:05 PM
I make too many crying calls on the river.
I have borderline weak-tight syndrome.
I should have moved up in limits a long time ago.
It's too late to move up in limits now because I made the poker sin of letting my spouse know that I had "extra" money sitting in my poker accounts.

ClockWyze
10-20-2005, 01:37 PM
I kick my dog when I get rivered.

.. Sometimes my wife too!

10-20-2005, 01:48 PM
I once played a tournament with $0 in my bankroll.

gildwulf
10-20-2005, 04:07 PM
I play when I'm tired a lot.

Deamon2
10-20-2005, 04:50 PM
I occasionally play "tackle-out"

Lash
10-20-2005, 05:20 PM
LOL, everybody makes mistakes, hopefully some of us learn from them. My personal favorite "sin" was this:

I'm getting crushed in a game and am almost broke (on-line). I'm just livid, and beyond any emotional state I ever thought I could attain. I'm randomly typing profanities and being rude to other players. I had become what I absolutely despise with all my heart and soul.

Down to my case money in EP and raise w/ KJo...I flop top pair and play it as aggressively as possible HU w/ blind... I think I get all my money in on the flop, and in the process I type something to the effect of "IT DOESN'T MATTER, WHATEVER YOU NEED BUDDY, IT'S COMMING!"

Of course he cathes some unlikely runner runner and busts me. Then as if I hadn't already acted foolishly enough I type in something to the effect of: "F U YOU F'ING LOW LIFE SCUM... I HATE YOU ALL"

I proceeded to try to put my broke ass to sleep.

In my mind, that is about as low as I can imagine going, and I will hopefully never return to a spot even remotely close to that.

ZenMusician
10-20-2005, 05:45 PM
(2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif)

4 players in a raised pot

Flop: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Bet, Raise, I call (!), Re-raise, fold, call, I call

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Bet, Raise, I call (Jesus!!!), call

River: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Bet, Raise, I Re-Raise, call, call

#1 A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif
#2 A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

ZenMusician wins a million tilted donk dollars. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

-ZEN

Lash
10-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Nice...

That is classic, and I swear man, in some of my altered states of being...inebriated... I could sit there after your 22 hand and actually come up with a reason based in logic as to why and how I played the hand profitably in the long run...

Saying to myself: "Those fish never would have got the value out of that boat on the river like I did!"

Lord help me... for I have sins upon sins!!!!

10-20-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, everybody makes mistakes, hopefully some of us learn from them. My personal favorite "sin" was this:

I'm getting crushed in a game and am almost broke (on-line). I'm just livid, and beyond any emotional state I ever thought I could attain. I'm randomly typing profanities and being rude to other players. I had become what I absolutely despise with all my heart and soul.

Down to my case money in EP and raise w/ KJo...I flop top pair and play it as aggressively as possible HU w/ blind... I think I get all my money in on the flop, and in the process I type something to the effect of "IT DOESN'T MATTER, WHATEVER YOU NEED BUDDY, IT'S COMMING!"

Of course he cathes some unlikely runner runner and busts me. Then as if I hadn't already acted foolishly enough I type in something to the effect of: "F U YOU F'ING LOW LIFE SCUM... I HATE YOU ALL"

I proceeded to try to put my broke ass to sleep.

In my mind, that is about as low as I can imagine going, and I will hopefully never return to a spot even remotely close to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Knish still has the truck.

10-20-2005, 08:19 PM
I hit and run. It's without question my biggest poker sin. I get up a bit and think that it would be nice to go to sleep up, and I just quit. As a result, I don't play nearly enough poker and I am costing myself money. Sigh.

10-20-2005, 09:52 PM
I tilt and I drink, then I drink some more.

I also should have moved up limits a long time ago

10-20-2005, 11:19 PM
I find poker much more enjoyable (although not nearly as profitable) while drunk out of my mind .

SNOWBALL138
10-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Ummmm, I think I have you all beat, but I'm not sure I want to say why and by how much. Instead, I'll just share this story with you:

I come home after school and I am sick with the flu. Instead of taking the day off, which I told myself I would, I proceed to play for maybe twelve hours, losing more than half of my bankroll. It was so much worse than it sounds.

"You have a story worse than that?" you ask. Ohhhhh yes. Yes I do.

The Goober
10-20-2005, 11:40 PM
One time at a live 4-8 game I had just won two nice pots in a row. As I'm raking in a whole bunch of chips (the cardroom uses $1 chips in this game) I look down and see KQo. Its folded to me in EMP, and I fold /images/graemlins/shocked.gif. It was some weird combination of wanting time to stack my chips and getting a "feeling" that I was due to lose a hand and give some money back. I felt like such a fish (especially when a Q flopped on a very non-threatening board - then I got to feel like a results-oriented fish /images/graemlins/frown.gif).

10-20-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"You have a story worse than that?" you ask. Ohhhhh yes. Yes I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, cocktease, we need to hear this

yellowjack
10-21-2005, 12:25 AM
I have one so bad that I'll post after I get results.

For now, it's berating fish at $0.25/$0.50 and lower after getting outdrawn. I never do it in my regular game but I derive so much satisfaction from it.

SNOWBALL138
10-21-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

For now, it's berating fish at $0.25/$0.50 and lower after getting outdrawn. I never do it in my regular game but I derive so much satisfaction from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing online 2/4 the other day, and I went bust on a short buy after getting outdrawn as a small favorite. I started typing "FUK YOU THAT WAS MY RENT MONEY!! OMFG, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?"

I then proceed to load up with something like $1300 on the table. Everyone thought it was pretty funny actually, including the guy who sucked out on me. I never actually berate people.

idrinkcoors
10-21-2005, 02:10 AM
Playing 2/4 CENT on Paradise.

Then getting excited when I had the bankroll to move up to....(get ready to be blown away)...5/10 CENT.

smurfitup
10-21-2005, 02:17 AM
discussing in front of a whole table of 20-40 fish why i raise ak from the blinds... STOOPID

Howard Burroughs
10-21-2005, 02:56 AM
"If you feel like it, confess your poker sins here."

At the Mirage last night, I called a total stranger a Bitch.

She was a sweet looking young thing too.

Forgive me players, for I have sinned.

Howard

jzpiano14
10-21-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing online 2/4 the other day, and I went bust on a short buy after getting outdrawn as a small favorite. I started typing "FUK YOU THAT WAS MY RENT MONEY!! OMFG, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?"

I then proceed to load up with something like $1300 on the table. Everyone thought it was pretty funny actually, including the guy who sucked out on me. I never actually berate people.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I'm going to have to try this

jzpiano14
10-21-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Howard

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ask for her phone # afterwards?

darydarling
10-21-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Howard

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame for shame /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Okay here's mine Howard.

Blaming my passing gas at the Excalibur on Shannon.

Howard Burroughs
10-21-2005, 03:33 AM
"Did you ask for her phone # afterwards?"

LOL!

She WAS a good sport about it (she could of had me tossed from the room I would imagine). She even clapped when I won a big pot a couple of hours later (I check-raised a big pot on the flop, turn and river).

I was way out of line (with my mean "Bitch" talk).

FWIW, Her boyfriend was at the table next to ours.

Happy pokering,

Howard

SittingBull
10-21-2005, 03:40 AM
This is y they do NOT mine losing money to me!However,I did slip up a few times in my career. AND I DO REGRET THOSE TIMES!
SittingBull

Howard Burroughs
10-21-2005, 03:44 AM
Hi Cary (Dary),

I think my crime was much worse.

Say hi to Shannon for me. When I'm not busy being mean to 23 year old Paris Hilton look a-likes, I'll have to buy you two some beer and chicken wings some time.

Happy pokering,

Howard

Howard Burroughs
10-21-2005, 03:53 AM
Greetings Sitting Bull!

I thought the worst poker sin the Sitting Bull ever did was when you used to stiff the cocktail girls :-)

Please tell me you have changed your Cocktail Girl ways good buddy.

Hey, at least you didn't call 'em bitches :-)

Best Wishes

Howard

Guernica4000
10-21-2005, 08:00 AM
I play long sessions when I am down and short ones when I am up.

popesc
10-21-2005, 08:32 AM
I just can't believe this is a sin. I started out with a $15 bankroll after a freeroll win on Absolute. I started at .02/.04 microlimit.

I play 2/4 now and I'm about to move up to 3/6, and it's only been about a year and a half. And I usually play only weekends.

10-21-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm a greedy SOB. I want all the chips, and I want them NOW. This sometimes leads me to do things I shouldn't.

mockingbird
10-21-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(2 2 )

4 players in a raised pot

Flop: K K Q

Bet, Raise, I call (!), Re-raise, fold, call, I call

Turn: 8

Bet, Raise, I call (Jesus!!!), call

River: 2

Bet, Raise, I Re-Raise, call, call

#1 A K
#2 A Q

ZenMusician wins a million tilted donk dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for a good laugh!

popesc
10-21-2005, 12:56 PM
I also make an effort to be polite to people that play poker with me. This time I slipped up and it wasn't even a bad beat.

I lost half a pot when the board made a straight on the river. I had AA vs. his QQ and had read the situation correctly, but made a mistake on the turn by not check raising. I was really more mad at myself for not checkraising the turn.

I felt really bad when he left. He was the perfect loose passive player to have sitting on my left.

AceofSpades
10-21-2005, 02:46 PM
I raised Q5s to 200 when blinds were 30/60, got four callers, and called 1.5x potsize bet with a flush draw on the flop, for my entire stack....then went "what the hell am I doing?"

Sometimes I have this irrational belief that when I raise "the pot belongs to me"

10-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Here's one that happened to me a few days ago. I limp in pot in position with 44. Flop comes A64 with a 2 spade flush draw. Someone bets into me, I just call. Turn comes 7s completing the flush and putting a straight draw out. Same bettor, I call again. River is 5d so I theres 3 spades on the board and a 4 card straight. Its bet into me again.....this time, I PUSH!

The worst part was me thinking(sorta thinking, not sure where I was at this point) 'I hope he caught his straight so I can beat him with my set.' Sure enough he had A8 and rivered the straight. Much to my suprise, they push the pot his way.

I feel like a complete moron at this point. I can't chalk this up to a learning experience, I've been playing poker for 5 years and know what beats what. It's not like I wasn't paying attention either....I just stopped thinking. I got in the mindset of "I flopped a set and he bet, I'm gonna slowplay and raise later." Shortly after that I had to stop playing. I felt burned out and confused at my stupidity.

10-21-2005, 10:05 PM
at a live 3/6 game the board was 4 straighted and i had a ten giving me to best straight. there were raises and reraises after the river and i figured it was going to be a split pot 3 way (which had just happened a few orbits previous) so i said, "i'll save the rake" and just called instead of raising again. both other players had the ass end of it and i won a smaller pot than i could have. i felt like an idiot because i think the rake was maxed at that point anyway.
when i said it i was thinking about how at a pokerstars NL table somebody went all in on with a straight on the board, everyone called and it was split 4 ways so everyone came out behind practically. one of the players said, "geez, save the rake buddy".
i will never do that again.

10-21-2005, 10:10 PM
I went on tilt after continous suck outs and disobeyed Sklansky's preflop rules in Small Stakes Hold' Em and spent every darn penny of my bank roll and wont be able to play for weeks. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

SittingBull
10-22-2005, 04:32 AM
about tipping. I play almost exclusively in cyberspace where I do not have to feel bad about MNOT tipping.
Remember,for me,this is a min part-time job.
I never did see employees tipping their bosses when they go to work.
Nice to see u ,Howard!
Bitting bULL--i MEAN sITTINGbULL /images/graemlins/blush.gif

10-22-2005, 05:40 AM
Oh man, that reminds me...

I was playing 5/10 limit, and had only really played NL before. I had 66 on a flop of 543r, a bet may have gone in on the flop, turn blanked and a bet may or may not have gone in, river 2, no flush draw, board not paired, heads up, I was bet into, and I..... called. He had the ace.

barongreenback
10-22-2005, 06:44 AM
All of them.

When I started poker I'd see people doing really stupid things and I'd think, 'Whatever mistakes I make at least I'm not doing that'. But as time has gone by I've made every one of these mistakes.

I've value called the nuts HU on the river. I even thought it through. I said to myself, 'He's likely got a set of 9s or 8s so I'll just call with my set of aces'. It was a non str8, non flush board. My read was spot on.

Once I was trying to decide whether my set was good on a 4 flush board at NL that I didn't notice that I had filled.

Tip of the iceberg.

All those posts on 2+2 entitled 'Why do fish do this'. I've done them. It's humbling and cathartic really.

James

popniklas
10-22-2005, 09:00 AM
The biggest pot I have ever won was when I played threehanded NLHE well above my bankroll, made a donkified call for my entire stack on the turn and sucked out on the river.

Only reason I sat down in that game was because I was on severe tilt after numerous bad beats. Normally I don't even play NLHE ring games, especially not shorthanded.

Manimal 42
10-22-2005, 11:52 AM
I sometimes drink when I play.

I haven't bought the license for Poker Tracker yet.

I haven't re-read the section on bluffing in Theory of Poker because the first read made me dizzy.

I enter a ring game or STT feeling superior before I get a read on anyone.

I haven't worked on my stud game.

I will still play when I'm tired.

I've taken a rush at lower limits and donked it away at a higher limit table.

So, who hands out the penance and says go and sin no more? ;~)

GoCubsGo
10-22-2005, 01:27 PM
I berate the good players at the table, hoping they'll either think I'm a donk that doesn't understand, or get up and clear a space for a bad player to join.

10-22-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I berate the good players at the table, hoping they'll either think I'm a donk that doesn't understand, or get up and clear a space for a bad player to join.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, that's a darn good idea! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

element00
10-22-2005, 09:13 PM
I built up a $250 stack on a $25 and gambled it all away the same way I got it... *cries about it now* -- wish i woulda just left. I have plenty more unspeakable sins that I won't get into.

FrankLu99
10-22-2005, 10:22 PM
me<---seat 9
the dealer leaves and I let one loose.
Seat 8 smells it and makes a comment
I blamed it on the dealer

Allinlife
10-22-2005, 11:59 PM
I know better

popesc
10-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Since I confessed my sins, I have been winning at a rate of over 8 BB/100 hands.

So I just wanted to add that I sometimes call too much, and occasionally I go on tilt after a bad beat, although I have made a lot of progress on the later.

ackid
10-24-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LSHMCH!!!!

(laughing so hard my chest hurts).

SNOWBALL138
10-24-2005, 04:06 AM
I was playing 4/8 omaha eight or better with a full kill the other night and almost every pot was a kill. I play ok when its a full table and everyone else is playing badly, but then it got down to 3 people b/c everyone else either left or went broke, and I had a foul-mouthed whacko aggressive tilter on my left. Instead of admitting to myself that I had no idea how to make strategic adjustments, and leaving the game, I ended up losing my whole buy-in.

I then decided to quit playing omaha/8 and switch over to some 4/8 hold em action. I ended up losing, but I played really really well. One mistake I made playing that night was to basically call out this guy's tell before I folded when this guy rivered me. I've never done this before, and I'll try to never do it again, even though I found it satisfying at the time.

I probably made another mistake also. I bluff-raised this one guy, who I knew held a small pocket pair, on the river and then I showed it. I'm not sure if it was a big mistake or not, but I broke my rule about showing hands: never show your hand unless you have a specific reason to do it

10-24-2005, 04:10 AM
playing although I'm very tired.

jb9
10-24-2005, 10:54 AM
I too often play when I'm sick, tired, distracted, annoyed, can't sleep, am waiting for someone, or otherwise cannot focus properly on the game.