PDA

View Full Version : Flop top pair in blind defense situation.

Fat Nicky
10-19-2005, 11:54 PM
3/6 on Poker Stars

I have no read on the villain, it's 4th hand at the table.

Pre-flop:
Folder to villain who raises in the CO, folded to my BB and I defend with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 10/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Flop: J/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I whif a check/raise attempt.

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/club.gif
I bet, Villain calls.

River: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I bet, Villain raises....

~7 BB in pot...call or fold?

TheHammer24
10-20-2005, 12:07 AM
I'm out of here. What can you beat? w/o specific read I think you are toast.

toss
10-20-2005, 12:13 AM
I call because theres 7BB and I'm curious as hell to see what hand villain plays this way. 79o would be fun.

Redd
10-20-2005, 01:16 AM
I call because Villain is a complete unknown. I can't put him on any reasonable hands that he'd play this way. Since he appears to have misplayed at least one street, I think the chance that the river raise is bogus is enough to justify a call. Especially with the information and metagame value.

Pog0
10-20-2005, 01:37 AM
I'm not folding top pair on a non-threatening board in a blind steal situation. He might have been slow playing a monster though, but his line is very suspicious and worth gaining a read here since it's otherwise close.

@bsolute_luck
10-20-2005, 08:29 AM
umm..why not check/call that river? or are OCs calling this river bet? i think only hands that have you beat are checking this flop or hands that are so bad, they fold on the river (figuring maybe a flush draw on the turn).

thejameser
10-20-2005, 09:40 AM
if i didn't call in this situation i don't think i could live with myself.

Fat Nicky
10-20-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
umm..why not check/call that river? or are OCs calling this river bet? i think only hands that have you beat are checking this flop or hands that are so bad, they fold on the river (figuring maybe a flush draw on the turn).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting.

Any other thoughts on this?

krimson
10-20-2005, 10:40 AM
You miss the c/r on the flop, so now it looks like your trying to steal the pot, or betting ace high or small pp or something. I think he could be raising you with any piece of this board. I would call.

Rico Suave
10-20-2005, 10:51 AM
aboslute luck:

[ QUOTE ]
umm..why not check/call that river? or are OCs calling this river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, I don't think you get more than an occasional call from over cards, but you will get calls from lots of pocket pairs and other single pair hands worse than hero's. And given that preflop raiser opened from the CO, I think we can give him a wide range of hands.

--Rico

Aces McGee
10-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Hey Nicky

What's your argument for folding?

-McGee

Fat Nicky
10-20-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's your argument for folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely the reason I called, because I couldn't find a reason to fold.

Villain showed me AA and MHING.

Aces McGee
10-20-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know better than this...

If you never folded top pair in what you consider a steal situation -- particularly to an unknown -- you'd be fine.

-McGee

Fat Nicky
10-20-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know better than this...

If you never folded top pair in what you consider a steal situation -- particularly to an unknown -- you'd be fine.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Edited my last post, meant to say 'couldn't find a reason to fold', not 'could'.

Anyways, I do agree with you. I guess I posted the hand because I feel like I have been paying off too much at the river lately.