PDA

View Full Version : Reviews of online poker sites, lemme know what you think.

eugeneel
06-04-2003, 12:40 AM
I just made an informational website with reviews of the poker rooms I have played at. I currently play 10-20 and 25-50 on poker room. Please let me know if the info sounds good,

www.onlinepokerinfo.com (http://www.onlinepokerinfo.com)

-eugene

jasonHoldEm
06-04-2003, 12:43 AM
Post deleted by jasonHoldEm

eugeneel
06-04-2003, 12:53 AM
not at all, I don't know why you would think so either...

I play on poker room for high stakes... Ask someone like pink bunny, she knows me.

rusty JEDI
06-04-2003, 12:59 AM
I have to list this under the realm of semi-spam. I believe the users intentions are good and dont believe it is for profit.

Take down the pokerroom affiliate banner and it is all good.

Simon Diamond
06-04-2003, 01:02 AM
I play on poker room for high stakes... Ask someone like pink bunny, she knows me.

Is that you OC?

Simon

eugeneel
06-04-2003, 01:06 AM
what's oc?

jasonHoldEm
06-04-2003, 01:08 AM
OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but you've posted the same (themed) message at UPF as well....

http://www.unitedpokerforum.com/forum.asp?m=11515

Just looks pretty questionable...proove it by sticking around and making some posts with content.

Peace,
jHE

Simon Diamond
06-04-2003, 01:13 AM
Apologies. Welcome to the zoo - if you stick around long enough, you will soon learn who OC is.

Simon

eugeneel
06-04-2003, 01:55 AM
heh, thanks for believing in me. I posted it on the other forum so pple can give me advice that's all.

Mason Malmuth
06-04-2003, 03:05 AM
Hi Everyone:

It's my policy not to link to sites that do these online reviews. When I look at the sites, the reviews never look independent to me. There is always a banner, probably an affiliate ad, next to their review. Since I never know who is doing the review and what the level of integrity is, I'm very reluctant to assume that anything these reviews say is accurate.

My guess is that in most cases their incentive will be to make the site (being reviewed) sound great. But I also guess if the site in question has some friction with them, that could change. Of course if I knew the reviewer, and knew that he was a person of integrity, that would be different. And in this case, I don't know anyone involved. So my advice is to look at these sites with extreme caution.

Best wishes,
Mason

eugeneel
06-04-2003, 04:21 AM
why is my post being warned against? I just put my review page up here because this is the only place I know where I can get some constructive feedback about my webpage. I am sorry that everyone is getting so offended.

lefty rosen
06-04-2003, 04:24 AM
I know nobody knows me beyond my posts, but this kid is on the up and up, I can vouch for him because I have played against him at pokerroom at the 2/4 short table level and he says it like it is about that site. As for the others I can't say for sure but I do know that most posters here have a general idea of the easier sites to beat, and the rock garden sites,errr paradise poker........

Mike Haven
06-04-2003, 05:01 AM
in my opinion this is so obviously a blatant spam post that i can hardly believe it is still up

if you click on the tiger, party or true logos you go to pages

http://www.goldentigerpoker.com/splash3/gtp_splash3.asp?aff_id=aff1****

http://www.partypoker.com/index20100.htm?wm=200****

http://www.truepoker.com/index.asp?code=c9bOP****

(i have taken out a couple of numbers in each of the above addresses and replaced them with asterisks)

i may be wrong but i would say that if someone joins via a click on those logos then our friend eugene gets paid a commission by those sites (no harm in that, if that's his business, but i don't think that he should be allowed effectively to post his adverts in the twoplustwo forum for free when others cannot - if this post is allowed to stay then one of the reasons that makes this forum such a great place to be has started to be eroded)

maybe the relevant site bosses could confirm whether i am right or not?

lefty rosen
06-04-2003, 05:21 AM
Okay if you want to be a technocrat, yeah it's true there, but it's a legit review of pokerroom. I know that site myself I will fax anybody that want's it my ledger there I was plus 6,000+ playing 1-2 and some 2/4 shorttable from August 1/2002 to January 7/2003? Not sure I lost a bit of my roll in early January and lost my desire to grind at the 1/2 level again(plus the bad fish died of lack oxygen in the lake). He is bang on at that site. That's my point.

Mike Haven
06-04-2003, 05:34 AM
he may be bang on, lefty, but i have seen far better reviews written here, in this forum, without any hidden agenda

in fact, the review is so basic that it almost reads like a site's front page - if eugene wanted to give us his opinion on a site he should have written it here, and asked for comments - not referred us to his site in the hope that we would click on his money-making links

probably you or i could ask for our own reference codes from these sites so that we could receive commission - i am sure that if i included a reference code in my posts they would be deleted instantly

that's my point

lefty rosen
06-04-2003, 05:44 AM
okay buddy you got a point, there end of topic from me.

bentlyman
06-04-2003, 05:55 AM
Hard to disagree with what Mike is saying. How is this any less annoying than a pop-up add???

Pop-ups get under my skin like a splinter and so does this. Like a plastic splinter.

This is supposed to work like a free bulletin board, not a opportunity knocks zone. I could see if the guy had made a few decent posts before this, but no. Why would he make up a site like this?? For fun?? Sense of accomplishment?? I doubt it.

If you're legit Eugeneel, my appologies. But in a world where Sosa is using a flippin' <font color="orange"> corked bat /forums/images/icons/confused.gif </font color> you've got to be on guard.

Simon Diamond
06-04-2003, 06:51 AM
why is my post being warned against?

If you read Mason's post it is quite simple. But incase you don't understand I will put it in plain terms - this is his board, he doesn't know you or have any idea about your credibility, you come here and put a link to your so called review site, but in fact it there are some thin reviews plastered with affiliate banners.

This is the official line from our moderator Mat Sklansky -

Posts which contain blatant advertisements, personal insults, and/or profanity will be deleted.

So be glad the whole thread hasn't come down. Yet.

Simon

Hung
06-04-2003, 08:35 AM
I'm doing the same.
I'm making reviews of every site where I played at.
But I don't care if I get a bonus or not. If the site is not good I'll say it's no good. UB has the worst affiliate program, but I still like it there and I still promote it to all my friends. I'm getting huge bonuses for some sites, but if I don't like to play there I don't promote it.

eugeneel
06-04-2003, 03:06 PM
I just review the ones I played at. UB was not one of them.

clovenhoof
06-04-2003, 09:17 PM
Maybe you're sincere, maybe you're not. But the potential for abuse for this sort of thing is pretty high, and -- if you're for real -- you just can't accept people who are playing for serious money to just accept your word that it's not a promo site for the four places you review.

As for me, you'll never convince me it isn't bought and paid for by at least some of the places you've reviewed. There are so many obvious large &amp; popular sites that are not reviewed that I just don't see how you can think you are making any kind of legitimate contribution.

'hoof

Mason Malmuth
06-04-2003, 10:59 PM
Part of the reason is that I've been contacted by as many as 20 people who have web pages like yours and who want us to link to it. When I tell them no, they get very unhappy with us.

best wishes,
Mason

GrannyMae
06-04-2003, 11:05 PM
I just review the ones I played at

this fact alone gives your site ZERO credibility.

your incentive is the affiliate deals you have, not doing a comprehensive review of online poker sites.

by your non-all inclusive coverage, and the flashing banners, your marketing of your site violates the spam policy.

i guarantee the only reason mason let this thread stand is because he is using it as a way to announce that we should be wary of sites like yours.

that was *not* permission you had to spam us.

i object to you jumping into the party poker referral thread offering to rebate half the sign up bonus. several people, including me, are happy to return 100% of the referral bonus to our fellow posters.

don't be such a crackwhore and we will get along fine.

your site is inferior to tommy's onlinepokerreview.com, and he has NEVER come on here begging for scraps.

you are offering to split the referral bonus, HOW NICE. what about the <font color="red">LIFETIME </font color> cut you get from his play? you going to split that??

i thought not

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/i0/monkeypissr.gifhttp://216.40.249.192/s/contrib/ruinkai/spam1.gif

Mason Malmuth
06-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Hi clovenhoof:

Actually, I don't think these review sites are bought and paid for by the sites being reviewed. I think it's probably a little the opposite. By putting up very favorable reviews of a particular Internet poker room, the review site is hoping to curry favor from the Internet poker room in some way. Thus their review may be biased towards the site.

However, if the favor doesn't come. The review site may get mad at the Internet poker room and some time in the future adjust the review negatively. So the bias will change.

Best wishes,
Mason

lefty rosen
06-05-2003, 12:06 AM
Granny I have never seen you so feisty in my life? Did they take away your subscription to the Travel channel? I will get a guy over to your neighbourhood with a free hookup. Granny needs her world pokertour...........

Simon Diamond
06-05-2003, 12:28 AM
your site is inferior to tommy's onlinepokerreview.com, and he has NEVER come on here begging for scraps.

Have to agree, though I haven't seen Tommy around here for ages. His site is as good a place for online poker info as any IMHO.

OT - love the spam getting pissed on, another classic short Granny /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Simon

Ralle
06-05-2003, 08:13 AM
So you don't think that PokerStars have the best tournaments?

eugeneel
06-05-2003, 05:44 PM
actually we agreed to slit the share of rakes that I get 50-50 for lifetime. He decided to trust me cause we play on pokerroom together.

ThePinkBunny
06-05-2003, 09:00 PM
I have played with eugeneel at pokerroom and he's a pretty solid player and seems like a nice guy.

But, yeah his post is rather spammy. Hopefully it won't post it here once a week like he has at theunitedpokerforum.

Eugeneel, your site isn't very informational. Most of the information can be found at the sites themselves.

I'm really surprised at how lacking your pokerroom review is considering how often you play there.

You don't mention in the Cons, that there's the occassional disappearing card problem using the java version. Playing in the tournaments, if you're disconnected, you have to manually reopen your table, and sitting is doesn't take effect until your next hand. So you could come back, have AA with the action not yet to you, and you're going to be folded no matter what.

AND furthermore, you don't even mention the many pros... the $1 buying $2500 added tourny every saturday, or the soon to be eliminated $777 daily promotion.

If you're going to have an honest review site you had better include paradise and pokerstars.

Please enjoy my review of the most popular and most respected online poker rooms

How respected is Goldentigerpoker?

You should instead say.

Please enjoy my halfassed review of one of the most popular and other online pokerrooms that i've happened to play at.

D

eugeneel
06-06-2003, 05:20 AM
lol

Gonna make a lot of changes to the site soon. my webmaster was away.
U must be pritty upset about the 777 going away, I've only won it once but u win it every other day.
Is poker room the only one you play at? do you play for a living?
Too bad I don't see u much, ur always at the low stakes tables, maybe u should move up.

Collusive
06-07-2003, 03:30 PM
.10/.20 and .25/.50 that what you mean?

ThePinkBunny
06-07-2003, 04:15 PM
well I haven't held a regular job in a year in a half, so I guess you could say I play for a living, but I have projects i'm also working on (which don't pay much).

I used to play the higher limits at poker room, but once they added poker4, you can play more tables to win the points, I dropped down. The higher limits are rather tough to play when you have multiple tables going.

And yeah, I'm going to miss the 777.

D

eugeneel
06-07-2003, 04:50 PM
no I don't mean .10/.20. u guys have the worst, most basic sense of humor.

Collusive
06-07-2003, 06:41 PM
you know your playing them .10/.20 let the truth be told!

lorinda
06-07-2003, 07:07 PM
no I don't mean .10/.20. u guys have the worst, most basic sense of humor

You noticed that so soon?

Perhaps you are a genius afterall.

Lori