PDA

View Full Version : Donking it up at the 215s

meditate89
10-19-2005, 11:44 PM
This is first hand of a 215. First of all I don't really play 215s... is my raise pretty standard pre flop considering it's first hand, I'm UTG, etc.

Anyways I really didn't know what to think here. He could have AA or KK or flopped a set... and be slowplaying me with the calls, but there's a flush draw out there... and I think he wants to know where I'm at, so you'd THINK he would re raise ME if he wasn't drawing. I thought there was a reasonable chance he was chasing a flush draw even though I was trying to make him pay for his draw, maybe he figured he could stack me if he made it(which might be true)... could of been AT hearts... of course I can't put him on such a narrow range obviously. I thought after he didn't hit his heart draw, I would slow down the betting a little, both because I was unsure of myself, and because i figured he might call a little bit to see his missed flush draw but not his whole stack, assuming he had the T or a pair or something.
Anyways, I'm rambling a lot...

Results aren't really important. I won the hand, I'll post it up later.

15/30 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: AAA (1000)
Seat 2: BBB (1000)
Seat 3: CCC (1000)
Seat 4: DDD (1000)
Seat 5: EEE (1000)
Seat 6: FFF (1000)
Seat 7: GGG (1000)
Seat 8: HHH (1000)
Seat 9: DONK (1000)
Seat 10: III (1000)
GGG posts small blind (10)
HHH posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to DONK [ Js, Jh ]
DONK raises (65) to 65
III calls (65)
AAA folds.
BBB folds.
CCC folds.
DDD folds.
EEE folds.
FFF folds.
GGG calls (55)
HHH folds.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 6h, Td, 4h ]
GGG checks.
DONK bets (225)
III calls (225)
HHH folds.
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 8c ]
DONK bets (325)
III calls (325)
** Dealing River ** : [ 7c ]
DONK bets (200)
III calls (200)

Thanks in advance for your replies. edit: thx. i'm obviously DONK

10-19-2005, 11:46 PM
You forgot to hide your handle, we don't know who you are.

Vee Quiva
10-20-2005, 12:27 AM
I think you might be better off checking the river. About the only call you'll get that will not beat you is Ace-10.

It sure smells like a slow played set, but if you won.....good hand!

handsome
10-20-2005, 12:41 AM
IMHO, raising under the gun to T65 with any hand is unacceptable.. I would have limped and hoped to catch a set.

meditate89
10-20-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you might be better off checking the river. About the only call you'll get that will not beat you is Ace-10.

It sure smells like a slow played set, but if you won.....good hand!

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you be more detailed? Should I check the turn? Only bet a little on the turn? Bet less on the river?

If I bet the the flop and turn like I did, and then check the river, am I gonna call if he pushes the river? If I'm gonna call I might as well just bet/ push cause there's like a 3% chance he might fold... I sort of feel pot comitted and dunno if I could fold the river to his poosh

Nick B.
10-20-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, raising under the gun to T65 with any hand is unacceptable.. I would have limped and hoped to catch a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea unacceptable, lol.

meditate89
10-20-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you're implying that 65 is a weak raise... I suppose you're right. I wanted a raise I could get away from... limping seems kind of week too though... how many other people advocate this? If I limp and someone raises to 75... what is your play? I would strongly expect someone to raise after me first hand of the game a lot of the time. The problem is, I feel like I don't really know when I'm at if I call a raise instead of doing the raising myself. If my raise gets re raised I'm quite sure I'm beat and will only call if I'm getting inf good odds to flop a set.
What is your standard raise here UTG first hand w/ QQ KK AA AK (AQ)?

tigerite
10-20-2005, 06:20 AM
I've never played the $215s, but his flat call on the flop would scare the bejeezus out of me. I wouldn't have made it as much as you did either, 2/3rds pot would be just fine, then probably 1/2 on the turn. Check the river seems pretty mandatory too.

Vee Quiva
10-20-2005, 11:49 AM
First off, I think raising utg with the JJ is fine. You don't want a lot of people in this pot.

Second, I don't understand the overbet on the flop. I think 2/3 to full pot bet is fine. It shows you're strong and gives them terrible odds to draw.

The fact that you got a call would scare me.

The turn looks harmless, so if you're aggressive go ahead and bet again. Probably 1/2 the pot is fine. Again, if your opponent is on a draw, you are not giving him the correct odds, but it's small enough to tempt him.

The call on the turn pretty much tells me I'm in trouble. Here's the range of hands I think I'm up against: A-10, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, a set. The flush draw seems a remote possibility now that my opponent has called off half his chips.

I check on the river because I am done spewing chips. If he bet's small enough on the river that I'm getting over 4-1 on the call, I may waste the chips to look him up. Otherwise I am praying he checks it through.

raptor517
10-20-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

probably the most hurtful post on this topic. awful advice. holla

kyro
10-20-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop before you hurt yourself.

handsome
10-21-2005, 02:27 AM
How about making a suggestion when you criticize someone?

Bigwig
10-21-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about making a suggestion when you criticize someone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you could explain your ridiculous 'raising is 65 is unacceptable' comment.