PDA

View Full Version : dull ache around the kidney area.

whiskeytown
10-19-2005, 11:33 PM
I've had this happen a couple times - and it's happening now, so I wanted toss this out there.

Every once in a while I'll get a dull ache where my left or right kidney is - it's bad enough to keep me from walking upright but not crippling - If I lie down it's better but if I stand it aches just enough to cause discomfort.

it's in the lower back area off to the left side - so it's not a bad back - it's like my kidney is trying to tell me something -

anyone ever have this happen?

RB

Dynasty
10-19-2005, 11:39 PM
That could be a kidney infection. I had one four years ago. It wasn't a big deal the first day. The pain went away after an hour.

On the second day, it hurt so bad an hour after waking up that I eventually went to the doctor.

DrSavage
10-19-2005, 11:45 PM
Most likely kidney stones. The sooner you go and see urologist the better.

whiskeytown
10-19-2005, 11:46 PM
my pain has temporarily subsided but had it gotten worse I'd have just kept laying down -

I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Hell to get old.

RB

Dynasty
10-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Lying down helped me as well.

But, it finally started hurting really bad. I was in agony by the time I was in the waiting room. I can't remember feeling pain that bad before (never broke a bone).

Costanza
10-19-2005, 11:54 PM
Always in the same place? Unlikely to be an infection if it recurs and you don't have fever. Stones are a possibility, but the pain from kidney stones is rarely described as a dull ache -- more along the lines of "somebody cut this [censored]ing thing out of me before I go insane" kind of pain.

Lots of other possibilities. Most are completely benign but worth investigating, especially if you're in the 35+ crowd and haven't had a recent exam. Go see your doctor.

whiskeytown
10-19-2005, 11:58 PM
reoccurs is errornous -

I'd say every few months - I've heard speculation that my high blood pressure +caffinee can cause this - so I'm leaning towards that since I've had one glass of water and 30 cans of coke in 3 days.

RB

DrSavage
10-19-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stones are a possibility, but the pain from kidney stones is rarely described as a dull ache -- more along the lines of "somebody cut this [censored]ing thing out of me before I go insane" kind of pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stones always start out as dull pain in the kidney. Sharp unbearable pain comes when they get stuck between kidney and bladder. I strongly suggest not letting it come to that.

Ray Zee
10-20-2005, 12:02 AM
rb, most of my old poker friends that treated their bodies terribly are now dead by age 60. how many more years you got till then?

dizong
10-20-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Always in the same place? Unlikely to be an infection if it recurs and you don't have fever. Stones are a possibility, but the pain from kidney stones is rarely described as a dull ache -- more along the lines of "somebody cut this [censored]ing thing out of me before I go insane" kind of pain.

Lots of other possibilities. Most are completely benign but worth investigating, especially if you're in the 35+ crowd and haven't had a recent exam. Go see your doctor.

[/ QUOTE ]

... and get a urinalysis (in addition to a routine history and physical)

dizong

whiskeytown
10-20-2005, 12:11 AM
my lease sort of expired 3 years ago - (no, I will not explain that comment) - everything else afterwards is just special time I get to have till they find out I'm still connected and disconnect me, like cable in a new apt. If what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, then I'm strong enough to outlive everyone on the board - but I think that saying's BS anyways.

in any case, I no longer drink booze - that was my biggest health hazard. It never caused this though -

I'm almost never sick and haven't been to a hospital for an emergency in 14 years - (at least not for myself) - suppose I'm a bit due for a checkup.

RB

DcifrThs
10-20-2005, 12:21 AM
you haven't had a medicinal checkup in AGES. you may be the sickest human being on the face of the earth, suffering from:

juvenile diabetes
lumberlung
hysterical pregnancy (a little bit)

nothing wrong w/ going to the ER though...i used to have a weekly routine--> wake up saturday/sunday, play 3 hrs of hockey, get stitches at friendly neighborhood ER.

i was there so often i dated one of the nurses for a month...

Barron

mccreadj
10-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Do you have lower back problems? I had a dull ache for over a month exactly where my right kidney is. I could have sworn the problem would be with my kidney, it was so localized. The doctors found nothing wrong with my kidneys, but said it was nerve pain associated with back pain.

ChipWrecked
10-20-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wake up saturday/sunday, play 3 hrs of hockey, sit around ER waiting room bleeding for five hours, get stitches at friendly neighborhood ER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't help myself. I've logged too much ER time the past year.

DarkForceRising
10-20-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most likely kidney stones. The sooner you go and see urologist the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope to Christ for your sake this isn't the case. Somebody made a poll last year asking if one would prefer to pass a kidney stone or drink one ounce of another dudes semen. Some pretty tough guys who had passed kidney stones said that they would take the semen.

Randy_Refeld
10-20-2005, 01:41 AM
I have frequent kidney stones and sometimes they are dull.

diebitter
10-20-2005, 01:50 AM
Drink lots of water, see if that helps.

However, I'd recommend docs, especially if you get any racing heartbeat or bad headaches.

chuddo
10-20-2005, 02:05 AM
sound familiar? (http://tinyurl.com/d3lp3)
enjoy!

i recommend cranberry juice and tons of percocet + finegren (sp?)

chuddo
10-20-2005, 02:12 AM
also in that original i said regarding the possibility of a kidney stone:
"thankfully it has turned out to be unfounded.".

that was a premature conclusion and i went through hell like 2 days later when it finally moved. so awful.

10-20-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had one glass of water and 30 cans of coke in 3 days.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cmon man, this thread wasn't necessary. You know this is the cause.

handsome
10-20-2005, 02:51 AM
That doesn't sound like the pain of a kidney stone, which is usually very sharp. As long as you've been hydrated and urinated when you had to, you shouldn't have a kidney stone. In any case, get it checked out.

wacki
10-20-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
rb, most of my old poker friends that treated their bodies terribly are now dead by age 60. how many more years you got till then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain by "terribly"?

That is kind of vague. To the ultra religious, this could be thinking about beer. To others it's crack.

whiskeytown
10-20-2005, 03:32 AM
The interesting thing is that that Ray Zee used to play poker with my Grandpa in Whitefish, but he did a little better then 60 - probably wasn't on that list.

RB

Vish
10-20-2005, 06:13 AM
Read Montaigne's essay "On Experience." He talks at great length about dealing with kidney stones. It's both amusing and stimulating, and you can read it online. It probably won't help with your problem at all, but it's a damn good read.