PDA

View Full Version : Check-calling in the big blind

onegymrat
10-19-2005, 10:42 PM
20/40 live, seven-handed. Both hands are headsup with the only loose aggressive player at the table. How often is this passive style of play correct?

Hand 1: MP opens. All folded to me in BB with Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I call.

FLOP: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, MP bets, I call.

TURN: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, MP checks.

RIVER: 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, MP bets, I check-raise. MP thinks a bit and calls.

Hand 2 (one orbit later): MP opens, all folded to me in BB with K /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, I call.

FLOP: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

TURN: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

RIVER: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP rechecks his cards real quickly. I check, MP bets, I call.

vmacosta
10-20-2005, 12:32 AM
hand 1 looks good (as long as you're c/r the flop sometimes and the turn sometimes in similar situations). Hand 2 looks weak...I think a river donk gets paid off plenty often, but I dont see him betting A-high type hands given your call down on a ragged board. Again, you should be c/ring the flop and turn sometimes here as well.

andyfox
10-20-2005, 12:45 AM
I don't like hand one because hero's top pair is vulnerable to overcards and an opponent will often check behind twice with unimproved high cards on the turn and river. The river check-raise, though, is very good as villain's likely hand is a pocket pair lower than queens and the check by hero twice is liable to arouse his curiosity/suspicion.

vmacosta
10-20-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like hand one because hero's top pair is vulnerable to overcards and an opponent will often check behind twice with unimproved high cards on the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is true. It should not be a default line...however I bet OP got more free showdowns this session then usual and probably got paid off on the river in this hand too. Its smart to mix things up when HU and the pot's small.

onegymrat
10-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Hi Andy,

I agree on the overcards vulnerability. However, if I am confident that I am way ahead, am I still giving up too much to try to "maximize" my earnings, with a chance that he will draw out on me? He seemed to be observant that I was playing too tight so I figured I should let him tighten his own noose, being that it was headsup.

onegymrat
10-20-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 looks weak...I think a river donk gets paid off plenty often, but I dont see him betting A-high type hands given your call down on a ragged board. Again, you should be c/ring the flop and turn sometimes here as well.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm new to the 20/40 game, and am not used to having my blinds attacked practically every round. He seemed to be the only real blind stealer, and had been very successful at it. Overall, I think you are right though. I think I should have check-raised the turn and ended it right there or bet the river. I just didn't like the way he checked his cards on the end and chickened out on my bet. After my previous check-raise, I was stunned with him betting all the way.

elindauer
10-20-2005, 01:29 AM
He must be very aggressive to justify forgoing a raise that may prevent him from outdrawing you for the whole pot. The pot is not huge, so it's feasible that you are correct to take these risks, but you should recognize that you must be quite confident he will do a lot of bluffing to play this passively.

Since he checked behind on the turn in hand 1, it's doubtful that he actually is aggressive enough. If you have any doubts, you need to bet / raise.

my 2 cents.
Eric