PDA

View Full Version : Unforgiven

Rushmore
10-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Every time I see this movie, it gets better.

"I'm Will Munny and I've killed most everything that walks or crawls; and now I'm here to kill you Little Bill for what you done to Ned."

Brrrr.

Will Munny: "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess he had it comin'.
Will Munny: We all got it comin', kid."

And this, at the very end, after he's had his drinks and killed a bunch of guys:

"All right now, I'm comin' out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife. All his friends. Burn his damn house down!"

Freakin GREAT stuff.

astroglide
10-19-2005, 10:13 PM
actin like they was bad men but without any sand or character. not even bad character.

Rushmore
10-19-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
actin like they was bad men but without any sand or character. not even bad character.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should mention that line.

Watching it tonight was the first time (of the five or so times) seeing it that I even noticed how good that line was, and was actually the moment when I said to myself, "Damn, every time I see this movie, I see something else really damned good in it."

Dominic
10-19-2005, 10:28 PM
it's one of the great films of the past 20 years. One of those few that are just about perfect.

mikech
10-19-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We all got it comin', kid

[/ QUOTE ]
later, a similar sentiment: "deserve's got nothing to do with it." both lines refer back to the title. love this movie.

Los Feliz Slim
10-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Little Bill: "You just shot an unarmed man!"

William Munny: "He should've armed himself if he's going to decorate his place with my friend."

shant
10-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks for reminding me to rent this.

astroglide
10-19-2005, 10:53 PM
eh it's probably $15 everywhere. one of the few dvds that's probably worth owning.

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 11:00 PM
I always like dthis one too.

Beauchamp: Who'd you kill first? Was it Little Bill? When confronted by superior numbers, an experienced gunfighter will *always* fire on the best shot first.

Bill Munny: Is that a fact? I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folk.

partygirluk
10-19-2005, 11:03 PM
I didn't enjoy this so much.

pryor15
10-20-2005, 01:28 AM
"I'll see you in hell Will Munny."

"Yup"

Clarkmeister
10-20-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"deserve's got nothing to do with it."

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite line to use at the poker table.

ChipWrecked
10-20-2005, 01:33 AM
"Any man don't want to get killed, better clear out the back."

BobboFitos
10-20-2005, 01:45 AM
this was good, i got lucky and "had to watch it" for a western frontier lit class. then i "got to write a paper on it"

... good movie though

diebitter
10-20-2005, 01:48 AM
Yeah, good movie and highly rewatchable.

Not, IMO, the best western ever made, as some assert. I'd put that to a 3-way between The Good, the Bad..., Once upon a time in the West, and The Searchers.

ChipWrecked
10-20-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Not, IMO, the best western ever made, as some assert. I'd put that to a 3-way between The Good, the Bad..., Once upon a time in the West, and The Searchers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for not including Shane. Never understood what people see in that one.

pryor15
10-20-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i haven't seen it, but i get the impression it fits under that Scarface/Shaft group of films with badass heroes.

diebitter
10-20-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shane is okay, but not even close to the top. I think people rate it highly cos it's sort of from a kid's perspective, and they see it as kids, so it has a deep resonance.

Some class ones often overlooked are the James Stewart ones made with Antony Mann (eg Winchester 73), for the 50's type westerns.

TheBlueMonster
10-20-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's one of the great films of the past 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
without a doubt...
[ QUOTE ]
One of those few that are just about perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]
you mean in the past 20 yrs or ever? Cause if you're talking about ever I'd say "Vertigo" tops that one.....

diebitter
10-20-2005, 02:10 AM
Heh, sometimes 'perfect' isn't the same as 'best'.

True of women, true of films, true of songs, true of cars.

rusellmj
10-20-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Will Munny: "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess he had it comin'.
Will Munny: We all got it comin', kid."

[/ QUOTE ]

To me this is the most poigant part of the film. Somehow I feel as though he's talking to me.
I love the cinematography, looking up at a beat up Clint (an old Clint) against a pale gray sky.

Brrrr is right.

BobboFitos
10-20-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i haven't seen it, but i get the impression it fits under that Scarface/Shaft group of films with badass heroes.

[/ QUOTE ]

thing is; shane isn't that badass.

pryor15
10-20-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thing is; shane isn't that badass.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, i've been wrong before. i'm sure it'll happen again. anyway, that's what someone told me it was like. so it goes.

bernie
10-20-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always like dthis one too.

Beauchamp: Who'd you kill first? Was it Little Bill? When confronted by superior numbers, an experienced gunfighter will *always* fire on the best shot first.

Bill Munny: Is that a fact? I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folk.

[/ QUOTE ]

"So...Who'd you kill first."

"I can tell you who I'm going to kill last..."

Beauchamp scurries away.

though I still think "He should've armed himself" was a the line for me. Love that line.

b

orange
10-20-2005, 03:25 AM
http://www.msstate.edu/Images/Film/Unforgiven.jpg

imported_anacardo
10-20-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whar's High Noon? High Noon > Searchers.

diebitter
10-20-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Whar's High Noon? High Noon > Searchers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree strongly for many reasons, but they'd ulitmately be bs. The deep-down truth is, I can't truly really hold in high esteem a film where the good guy has to beg for help, even though he comes right at the end.

I do, however, respect the view that high noon is a good if not great film.