View Full Version : Flat-calling middle set

10-19-2005, 09:12 PM
--
--
MP ($117.50)
Hero ($215)
--
SB ($202.80)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $3, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($14) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $21</font>, SB calls $21, MP folds.

Turn: ($63) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($63) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $33</font>, Hero calls $33.

Final Pot: $129

SB was 26/6/1.3
MP was 34/9/3.5

okay so my flop raise was probably a bit too small, I didn't realize at the time that it was only a half pot raise

SB's cold call screamed monster to me, the only problem was I too had a monster. So on the turn I ponder the chances of him having a 5 (without it being a straight already), and I think they are small, so I'm not too worried about a draw. I would hate to get check-raised on the turn by 75 and miss my chance to fill up for free, so I check. (weak-tight much?)

Then on the river I don't know whether to raise or call, I think the only hands I beat that he calls my river raise is with 2 pair or 33

33 is just as likely as 66, so I guess that cancels out, but 75/52 feels more likely than two pair. I would expect a flopped straight more likely to be slowplayed then two pair.

So, does anyone like my justification of my weak-tightness?

orange
10-19-2005, 09:18 PM
I think its good. Raising the river is pointless..worse hands fold and better hands call. SB seems to like his hand alot...hope it worked out for you.

RED FACE
10-19-2005, 09:20 PM
okay so my flop raise was probably a bit too small, I didn't realize at the time that it was only a half pot raise
too small for what? I don't like this seeming auto-potting esp. in this situation.
SB's cold call screamed monster to me, the only problem was I too had a monster. So on the turn I ponder the chances of him having a 5 (without it being a straight already), and I think they are small, so I'm not too worried about a draw. I would hate to get check-raised on the turn by 75 and miss my chance to fill up for free, so I check. (weak-tight much?)
when you flop a set on that board against a pfr you should be praying to get all your chips in at any point. I do however like the check behind on the turn because it often gets your river bet paid off vs his op.
Then on the river I don't know whether to raise or call, I think the only hands I beat that he calls my river raise is with 2 pair or 33
yeah, his river bet is tough, I fear JJ. A decent player shouldn't be betting AA here so I reckon the call is best.
33 is just as likely as 66, so I guess that cancels out, but 75/52 feels more likely than two pair. I would expect a flopped straight more likely to be slowplayed then two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Note, I don't play 6max.

Riposte
10-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Wow uhm, I'm betting the turn hard here every single time.

10-19-2005, 09:23 PM
You calling a check-raise?

Riposte
10-19-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm pushing a check-raise.

RED FACE
10-19-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You calling a check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am. Gleefully. 88, 66(both very unlikely imo) or he's a donk.

10-19-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pushing a check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that's what I meant

what hand range do you have him on when he checkraises?

Riposte
10-19-2005, 09:34 PM
33, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, TT, JJ, QQ, 34, 67... with 26% VPIP he won't have much, and I'm highly doubting a guy with these stats will call a raise OOP with 57 or 52.

Morrek
10-19-2005, 09:34 PM
I like your line, although I would probably bet this turn if it was me. Quite a scary board though but you are ahead of quite a few hands here. Keep in mind check-calling can often be a draw, 65s comes to mind(54s not so likely since we see 3 4's already).
Sucks if you're behind, but you don't have to go allin on river if you miss and he push. And I would hate it if I let 5x complete his straight for free here.

10-19-2005, 09:38 PM
well, it was only a min-raise preflop, but yeah 52 might be a stretch

The reason I don't put him on 77-QQ is flat-calling preflop and flat-calling a reraise on the flop is a weird way to play a hand like this I thought

Bukem_
10-19-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How ofen does he cr, and how does he play his drawing hands and monsters?

Seems like you are just checking this so you get an easy decision on the river, and not for any other reasons, except he cold called the flop. Plenty of donks cold call that with 55 or a naked 5. Or much much worse.

Riposte
10-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Oh I didn't know it was a preflop minraise... I thought you were at $100NL. I'll still play it the same though.

10-19-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How ofen does he cr, and how does he play his drawing hands and monsters?

[/ QUOTE ]

dunno, I'm multi-tabling and do not pay attention to players unless I'm in a hand with them, because surfing the net and have other bad habits

[ QUOTE ]
Plenty of donks cold call that with 55 or a naked 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I had no evidence he was a donk, if he was a superdonk I would have at least known that by now. The thing is, the preflop-raiser is representing and overpair/top pair so I figured he wouldn't call with a draw, since he might be facing another raise.

However I'm willing to trust you guys more than my lazy self, so if you guys think it's common an random player (who's only info I have are his stats, and the fact he's not a superdonk at least) will call here with a 5 then I will believe you

BobboFitos
10-20-2005, 01:42 AM
Id like to see a turn bet here, please.

dont fear 75

given way hand was played id consider value raising the river ,you've severly underepped your hand

10-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Yah just confirming that I played this hand really badly, villian had 33

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

savman
10-21-2005, 03:42 PM
bet turn for value.

AgentBishop
10-21-2005, 04:20 PM
If you would have said you checked the turn to mix up your play and try to induce a bluff on the river then your play was fine. Your flop raise was big enough to do its job, IMO. You gave a draw incorrect odds to call. So he would have made a mistake to call unless he was really sure you would go all in if he hit if you didnt have it already. But being that you checked for other reasons, you missed about 50 or so on the turn.

10-21-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But being that you checked for other reasons, you missed about 50 or so on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked for both reasons.