PDA

View Full Version : Small Stack Strategy from GSIHE online?

Mike J
10-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Hey all,

Forgive me if this has been discussed. I tried to search and didn't come up with exactly what I wanted.

I have read on this site that people have a favorable view of Getting Started in Hold Em as the new must read for beginners. But has anyone with more experience tried playing the Short Stack Strategy from his book while online multitabling?

I have had great (albeit short term)success with it, playing 4 tables, super tight just as he suggests, with 20-25 times the big blind. Whenever I get above 50bb in my stack, I leave the table and go to another (preferably loose) one with the short stack again. It seems with loose competition, it is pretty easy to get people to call your all in when you are the short stack. Almost like they figure, "he can't hurt me, what the heck??" Plus you have less money to lose in one hand, which is helpful for me, because I have a hard time making good reads on players when playing more than 2 tables. Ed Miller seems pretty highly regarded around here, so I wanted to know what do you all think?

Thanks,
MJ

BluffTHIS!
10-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Search the Poker Theory forum for this as there were a couple long threads on it, and maybe 1 in the books forum. They were a few months back, so they might be on the archive server now.

10-20-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Search the Poker Theory forum for this as there were a couple long threads on it, and maybe 1 in the books forum. They were a few months back, so they might be on the archive server now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also like to add that many players built their bankrolls using this short buy strategy. It is very easy to maintain close to perfect strategy when playing short, but when playing deep, play becomes much more complex, where there may be more than one "correct" play in any given situation.

Kyriefurro
10-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I have not personally used the short stack strategy. However, last week met a lady who was using it on four tables. I ran into her several times over the afternoon and she never failed to inflict a great deal of damage on the table. She started out with about 20 BB, usually took 3-4 smallish pots and then stacked one of the looser players. She'd repeat that once or twice until her stack was near full buy-in level and then left.

I have also, on one occassion used short stack strategy against a very deep stacked maniac. I was seated immediately on his left with my full buy-in. He had almost 6 buy-ins (about 570 BB). His standard preflop raise was 50BB and he was raising something like 50% of his hands. He loved to pull this after a raise and a couple of callers. His other favorite trick was to limp and then go all-in on any flop so he could steal the pre-flop bets. With a lunatic like him, the short-stack method seemed the only way to safely play him.