PDA

View Full Version : QQ in EP facing a reraiser

10-19-2005, 08:28 PM
My image is tight and aggressive. I have taken 2 horrific beats thus far at this table, so it may look as though I'd be primed to tilt.

Villian is semi-tight--25% VPIP--and extremely aggro--15% PFR, AF 2.9.

Some reads and commentary would be helpful.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (13.66 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (9.83 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (11.83 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 13.83 BB

flawless_victory
10-19-2005, 08:50 PM
YAAAAAAAAAWN.
i think PP 15/30 should be posted in small stakes.

10-19-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
YAAAAAAAAAWN.
i think PP 15/30 should be posted in small stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not yawn when you find out what he has. That's why I posted it.

Stop being a stakes snob, as well. It makes you look small and petty.

flawless_victory
10-19-2005, 09:11 PM
actually i think his most likely hand is KK, but i still belive your play is correct in the party 15...
BTW/ why do you think we have split forums? would i be a jerk if i said i dont think 5/10 belongs here? PP15 is a small stakes game...

10-19-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
actually i think his most likely hand is KK, but i still belive your play is correct in the party 15...
BTW/ why do you think we have split forums? would i be a jerk if i said i dont think 5/10 belongs here? PP15 is a small stakes game...

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I play 15-30 to 50-100, with much of my play, if not my posts, at 30-60. So to be frank, I don't want the advice of the small stakes forum when I post a hand. That forum is often wrong, too argumentative, and lacks technical sophistication in the responses. Once in a while a decent thread starts, but I rarely, if ever, read it anymore.

Next, 15-30 is a mid stakes game. Denigrating it as a small stakes game to look, I don't know, tougher or like more of a poker badass I guess, seems pretty petty to me. And please don't tell me that you weren't denigrating it and that you were just innocently pointing me in the right direction. It's clear that the point of your response was to essentially insult the 15-30 as beneath the notice of this board. Why I don't know, but it's childish and you're a better poster than that.

All that having been said, I'd appreciate some comments on the hand if there are any to give. If you all think it was totally straightfoward, then that's fine too. I didn't think it was. I think I should have called the flop raise and raised the turn. As the hand played out, I think I should have check called the river because I don't beat a damn thing on it.

Jeffage
10-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Seems standard to me. When you don't get raised on the turn, I'd assume I was good and bet the river accordingly. If he had KK and slowed bc he thought u had bullets, good for you. You saved money.

Jeff

10-19-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems standard to me. When you don't get raised on the turn, I'd assume I was good and bet the river accordingly. If he had KK and slowed bc he thought u had bullets, good for you. You saved money.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

True enough, but he had AA. What a weird way to play it.

DcifrThs
10-19-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I play 15-30 to 50-100, with much of my play, if not my posts, at 30-60. So to be frank, I don't want the advice of the small stakes forum when I post a hand. That forum is often wrong, too argumentative, and lacks technical sophistication in the responses. Once in a while a decent thread starts, but I rarely, if ever, read it anymore.

Next, 15-30 is a mid stakes game. Denigrating it as a small stakes game to look, I don't know, tougher or like more of a poker badass I guess, seems pretty petty to me. And please don't tell me that you weren't denigrating it and that you were just innocently pointing me in the right direction. It's clear that the point of your response was to essentially insult the 15-30 as beneath the notice of this board. Why I don't know, but it's childish and you're a better poster than that.

All that having been said, I'd appreciate some comments on the hand if there are any to give. If you all think it was totally straightfoward, then that's fine too. I didn't think it was. I think I should have called the flop raise and raised the turn. As the hand played out, I think I should have check called the river because I don't beat a damn thing on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this hand is so standard it might as well be $1.00/$2.00

Barron

10-19-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this hand is so standard it might as well be $1.00/$2.00

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

So you expected him to show me AA then? What exactly was he scared of on the flop. I practically told him I had KK/QQ/AK ...

And if I knew he had AA/KK, why did I bet the river? In hindsight, as I said, it seems awfully stupid, as I don't beat anything but AK/AQ, and he's not calling with those.

Anyways, sorry to post such obvious tripe. Next time I guess I'll post one where I raise with a shitty ace, flop second pair, and have to figure out what to do with it on the flop when I get raised. Because those types of hands are the ones we really should be concentrating on I guess.

Smarty
10-19-2005, 11:33 PM
The hand would only get interesting if he raises the turn...barring that, this seems extremely standard.

10-19-2005, 11:44 PM
15/30 has always been in mid high. A lot of people play 15/30 and 20/40.

As far as I know SS is for 2/4 upwards which is hugely different from 15/30.

So either complain about the lack of forums or STFU.

spoohunter
10-20-2005, 02:33 PM
You've read too many books and not played enough poker if you think
A)
he won't call with AK / AQ
B) he knows your hand range
C) He can't have AJ, QJ, 10-10, 22 here.

mikeyKay
10-20-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And if I knew he had AA/KK, why did I bet the river? In hindsight, as I said, it seems awfully stupid, as I don't beat anything but AK/AQ, and he's not calling with those.

[/ QUOTE ]

he calls the river bet with plenty of hands that you can beat...TT AJ A8 flush/straight draw that picked up a pair. like others have said, the hand is much more interesting if he raises the turn.

-mike

arod15
10-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Looks perfect....

mrkilla
10-20-2005, 05:53 PM
I think there whole argument was "this is so standard it might as well be SS"
and to answer what hes scared of, set or straight. Should he be? probably not since you capped it , however he is though and goes into c/c mode.

10-20-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You've read too many books and not played enough poker if you think
A)
he won't call with AK / AQ
B) he knows your hand range
C) He can't have AJ, QJ, 10-10, 22 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not 3 betting me preflop with any of those except maybe 1010. Maybe. He wasn't a dopey lag.

As for the river bet, if you compare the number of times he calls with a hand I can beat to the times he folds, calls and beats me, or raises and beats me, the river bet is pretty -EV. I would have thought that would be the very first comment on this hand. Guess not.

Nigel
10-20-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As for the river bet, if you compare the number of times he calls with a hand I can beat to the times he folds, calls and beats me, or raises and beats me, the river bet is pretty -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gerry,

River bet is only -EV if you plan on check-folding, or you think he will check through a hand that beats you (which isn't going to happen). If you plan on check-calling, betting is much, much better (+EV) in this spot.

Nigel

JacksonTens
10-20-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So to be frank, I don't want the advice of the small stakes forum when I post a hand. That forum is often wrong, too argumentative, and lacks technical sophistication in the responses. Once in a while a decent thread starts, but I rarely, if ever, read it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... Thats not very Gentle, Jerry?

Go SSers!

JT /images/graemlins/spade.gif

10-20-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As for the river bet, if you compare the number of times he calls with a hand I can beat to the times he folds, calls and beats me, or raises and beats me, the river bet is pretty -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gerry,

River bet is only -EV if you plan on check-folding, or you think he will check through a hand that beats you (which isn't going to happen). If you plan on check-calling, betting is much, much better (+EV) in this spot.

Nigel

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps. I have to think about this.

10-20-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So to be frank, I don't want the advice of the small stakes forum when I post a hand. That forum is often wrong, too argumentative, and lacks technical sophistication in the responses. Once in a while a decent thread starts, but I rarely, if ever, read it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... Thats not very Gentle, Jerry?

Go SSers!

JT /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha sorry brother, but it's true. There are some good posters in SS though, for sure. Some.