PDA

View Full Version : I like Omaha!

AZnuts
10-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Since the search function doesn't seem to work on this forum, I apologize in advance if this post comes across as redundant.

As probably most players, I've focused solely on Hold'Em for quite some time; you might say obsessively.

I am the studious type, and read probaly 5 books on Hold'Em before even starting for real money, and just as many since. After some burnout, I decided to try Omaha.

I've read just 2 Omaha books, since the selection is FAR less than Hold Em. I must say, the predominance of Hold'Em like thinking transferred to an Omaha table makes for some juicy (profitable) situations.

I literally can't believe the kind of losing call-downs I've witnessed from hands like 2 pair with boards showing a 3 flush, 3 straight, and paired, with 4 players still in the hand.

It seems that a fairly tight preflop Hold'Em player can translate into an easily winning Omaha player. I'm sure some of my early success simply comes from being a more experienced general poker player (from Hold'Em), but the Omaha game seems to magnify the effects of poor starting requirements, and maybe more so, poor reasons to continue past the flop.

How long until Omaha rivals Hold'Em in popularity? (the one downside against it is TV coverage doesn't go over as well - too many cards, too many possibilities for the average viewer, and not as much bluffing)

P.S. It's still a challenge to see a QQTT board and not think my lone Q makes a full house!

joewatch
10-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Omaha will never, ever be as popular as Texas Holdem. But we can dream, can't we?