PDA

View Full Version : Wireless/Router/DSL/Hell

LetYouDown
10-19-2005, 08:04 PM
I bought a wireless card for my PC. It's a Netgear WG311T. I set it up with both the Netgear software and Windows controlling it (separately), and they both have this issue. My connection drops for about 1-2 seconds in intervals of anywhere between 5 minutes and 1 hour.

I was using an 11Mbps router (MR814 or something like that), so I tried to switch it to my 54 Mbps router, thinking this might be the problem. Router can't get the IP address. So I took one of my PCs and connected it directly to my DSL modem (Verizon). It can't get the IP address either. I've tried resetting, power cycling, etc. etc. No luck. Hook it back up with the original 11Mbps router, it works instantly. Yes, router works, direct does not.

So now I'm dropping my connection every once in a while (which is a problem for me) and I can't use my "better" router. What in the hell can I do to fix this?

gusser
10-19-2005, 08:18 PM
You might try cloning the MAC address of the router that works to the router that doesn't. I don't know the specifics of your router(s) but you should be able to find it's MAC address by checking the config utility (usually http://192.168.101.1). If this is over your head or you need more help let me know.

gus

StevieG
10-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I'm with Gusser on this. Sounds like your DSL lease is tied to the MAC address of the poor-performing router.

What make and model is the solid router?

LetYouDown
10-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Yup, I had to spoof the router's MAC address. They are both Netgear routers. Once I set up the "new" router with the spoofed MAC address, it worked with only minor tweaks. Haven't dropped my connection in almost 16 hours ::knocks on wood::.

dogsballs
10-20-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You might try cloning the MAC address of the router that works to the router that doesn't. I don't know the specifics of your router(s) but you should be able to find it's MAC address by checking the config utility (usually http://192.168.101.1). If this is over your head or you need more help let me know.

gus

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a problem I'm having. Losing the conn for a couple seconds regularly. I'm a
total donk with the tech stuff though.

It only started happening mebbe a few weeks ago; was ok before, tho I changed nothing.

Inspiron 9200 with netgrear wireless stuff. Can someone tell em exactly where to start looking to try these MAC address or whatever may be the problem..?

I'd be grateful for any wisdom

StevieG
10-21-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a problem I'm having. Losing the conn for a couple seconds regularly. I'm a
total donk with the tech stuff though.

It only started happening mebbe a few weeks ago; was ok before, tho I changed nothing.

Inspiron 9200 with netgrear wireless stuff. Can someone tell em exactly where to start looking to try these MAC address or whatever may be the problem..?

[/ QUOTE ]

The MAC address stuff was not directly related to his connection dropping. LetYouDown had one router, router A, that could get out onto the Internet via DSL, but was dropping wireless connections. LetYouDown had a second router B that did not drop wireless connections, but could not work with his DSL to get out to the Internet. The MAC spoofing was to get the working wireless router B to look like A to get out on the Internet through DSL.

LetYouDown and gusser never really addressed why Router A did not work.

We can try with you now.

Does the connection drop all over, or in one particular spot? Do you live in an apartment building or other urban environment where there may be other networks? Are you broadcasting your SSID on channel 6?

dogsballs
10-21-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

LetYouDown and gusser never really addressed why Router A did not work.

We can try with you now.

Does the connection drop all over, or in one particular spot? Do you live in an apartment building or other urban environment where there may be other networks? Are you broadcasting your SSID on channel 6?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for responding.

No, I live in a detached house; only a few houses all about 60-100 yds away. There is another network my notebook picks up from somewhere nearby.

I don't know how to find out which channel my SSID is broadcast on. What is SSID?

StevieG
10-21-2005, 03:17 PM
SSID is the network name. If you see other networks nearby it is possible that you see interference. It certainly can't hurt to change channels and see if it makes a difference.

What make and model wireless router are you using?

dogsballs
10-21-2005, 03:24 PM
It's a Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway (read it off the bottom).

StevieG
10-21-2005, 09:56 PM
point your browser to 192.168.0.1

the username is admin and the password is password

In the setup section, go to wireless settings

You will see a box there for channel. Try changing the channel and see if this gives you a more soild connection

dogsballs
10-21-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
point your browser to 192.168.0.1

the username is admin and the password is password

In the setup section, go to wireless settings

You will see a box there for channel. Try changing the channel and see if this gives you a more soild connection

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, earlier today I disabled the wireless thru the control panel and hooked up the hard wire to the modem. But I still got some of the same disconnects happening, suggesting mebbe not the wireless thingy. So it may be a traffic problem with my ISP or summin else?

wonderwes
10-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Always, always upgrade to the latest firmware off the website.

dogsballs
10-23-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Always, always upgrade to the latest firmware off the website.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you guys are beyond my comprehension, I guess.

I see the word firmware mentioned on the site StevieG pointed me to, under Maintenance/Gateway Status on the left hand menu there. but I don't even know what firmware means, never mind how to upgrade it.

might be a google session coming up...

dogsballs
10-23-2005, 07:24 PM
for anyone still paying attention.

Found this brief description of firmware/router speak (http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wifihomenetworking/qt/firmwareupgrade.htm) .

adios
10-24-2005, 11:09 AM
More terms to throw at you. Firmware is software more or less. It's software that runs in an "embedded" environment.

embedded software (http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=embedded+software&i=42552,00.asp)

firmware (http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0%2C2542%2Ct%3Dfirmware&i%3D43223%2C00.asp)

An incomplete definition of firmware but basically it's embedded software that directly interfaces to the hardware to provide the required functionality of the device such as a router. Think of all the functions inherent in your router and the firmware is the software that facilitates those functions more or less.