PDA

View Full Version : My whole say on all this "drop of of school stuff"

FatalError
10-19-2005, 07:48 PM
I'll preface this with my short history, i just graduated college in august with a 3.7 GPA, i played poker almost non stop my senior year and spent very little of the money, i did'nt have much of a social life, i went on a few trips but they were all to play poker, my girlfriend broke up with me in january and i never bothered to find another one, why did she leave? obviously poker! (she lost, we'll find out why later)

So what amazing point is my pompous ass about to make, well guess what stay in school you donkeys. I did'nt drop out even though it was financially viable because i'll probably never use my computer science degree. I graduated because it was +EV for life, it made my family happy because i'm the first ever college graduate in a family of immigrants. So i've got 18k in college loans because i had a scholarship big deal and here is why.

I sacrificed my social life my senior year because i had a plan. Most of you want to drop out to still have a social life, but if you just perform well at school AND play poker with all the rest of your free time you can save a serious amount of money. in 9 months i put away almost 50,000$ to work as a playing bankroll and to spend. I graduated and hit the ground running.

If you had met me in august you would'nt have known i had a dime to my name, that changed quick because i saved all that cash. I bought the car, the diamond watch, the apartment in downtown boston, the tv, the artwork, everything... if you dreamed about having it during your college years i got it. And now i live with my college buddies, and now my life at 21 years old and 2 months out of college is great. It won't last forever, neither will poker but for now i have a bankroll to play at the levels necessary to maintain an awesome standard of living and i did'nt have to give up college and my future to do it.

I've seen poker players my age complain that it's hard to get parents or family or girls to understand what you do, but if you handled it a little more like a business with a little more responsibility then you might succeed a little better. All this depressed talk pisses me off, we're living lives our peers dream of, i'm posting this here because i know alot of STT'ers and the average player is closer to my age than anywhere else.

You guys need to get your heads out of your asses, finish school and ride out this poker rollercoaster and make the best of it because i gaurentee you when you're 40 and sitting around with your friends talking about what you were doing when you were 21, you're going to blow them all out of the water

MegaBet
10-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Do we really need 17 threads on this?

axeshigh
10-19-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we're living lives our peers dream of

[/ QUOTE ]

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Some people make a lot of money really quick at poker while having no life, others get laid by a different girl every weekend, etc.

Nick M
10-19-2005, 08:53 PM
My friend Morgan, whose father invented the cubicle and nerf, puts a hurt locker on your dream come true. Take it easy and just be happy dude. There's always going to be someone way better off than either you or I.

bigt439
10-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Girls and university memories > diamond watch and artwork.

Oluwafemi
10-19-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll preface this with my short history, i just graduated college in august with a 3.7 GPA, i played poker almost non stop my senior year and spent very little of the money, i did'nt have much of a social life, i went on a few trips but they were all to play poker, my girlfriend broke up with me in january and i never bothered to find another one, why did she leave? obviously poker! (she lost, we'll find out why later)

So what amazing point is my pompous ass about to make, well guess what stay in school you donkeys. I did'nt drop out even though it was financially viable because i'll probably never use my computer science degree. I graduated because it was +EV for life, it made my family happy because i'm the first ever college graduate in a family of immigrants. So i've got 18k in college loans because i had a scholarship big deal and here is why.

I sacrificed my social life my senior year because i had a plan. Most of you want to drop out to still have a social life, but if you just perform well at school AND play poker with all the rest of your free time you can save a serious amount of money. in 9 months i put away almost 50,000$ to work as a playing bankroll and to spend. I graduated and hit the ground running.

If you had met me in august you would'nt have known i had a dime to my name, that changed quick because i saved all that cash. I bought the car, the diamond watch, the apartment in downtown boston, the tv, the artwork, everything... if you dreamed about having it during your college years i got it. And now i live with my college buddies, and now my life at 21 years old and 2 months out of college is great. It won't last forever, neither will poker but for now i have a bankroll to play at the levels necessary to maintain an awesome standard of living and i did'nt have to give up college and my future to do it.

I've seen poker players my age complain that it's hard to get parents or family or girls to understand what you do, but if you handled it a little more like a business with a little more responsibility then you might succeed a little better. All this depressed talk pisses me off, we're living lives our peers dream of, i'm posting this here because i know alot of STT'ers and the average player is closer to my age than anywhere else.

You guys need to get your heads out of your asses, finish school and ride out this poker rollercoaster and make the best of it because i gaurentee you when you're 40 and sitting around with your friends talking about what you were doing when you were 21, you're going to blow them all out of the water

[/ QUOTE ]

nicely put, Fa-T-L. i hope tha' youngstaz listen to you. keep killin' those $109s bro!

runner4life7
10-19-2005, 09:35 PM
As a 20 year old college student this was nice to read. thanks

FatalError
10-19-2005, 09:46 PM
I was hoping at least one person would get something out of this, i have 2 roomates that are well on there way but i'm trying to get them to just focus on getting school done and putting away a bankroll, they've got more time than i had too. i had 9 months till graduation to build up the cash.

FatalError
10-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Ever since the end of the world i've been playing HU 2-4, 3-6, and 5-10 NL on a site i will not name. I feel like i can move to the 2000 NL heads up matches soon. I may never go back to SnG's.

KKbluff
10-19-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Girls and university memories > diamond watch and artwork.

[/ QUOTE ]

Side note: Good job and good luck with your future endeavors.

axeshigh
10-19-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
build up the cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is building up cash really validating your existence so much? I do it too cause the alternative is wasting time one way or the other but it's not the key to happiness or anything. Also, if you're intelligent enough to make a nice living playing poker you would be enough to make enough doing something else. If making friends and actually having fun is of any value to you, the choice between that and playing poker is really well, not a choice at all.

bigt439
10-19-2005, 11:21 PM
I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not, but it doesn't really matter for what I want to say. What is this sentiment that's been dominating the board that you have to make all this money while you can to save for the future? People saying this are 19 and 20 for god's sake. I mean if you have more fun rocking out playing some poker that's awesome, but this foregoing a social life to save money is just ridiculous. Live a little and enjoy it while you have so much freedom. $50 000 will be a drop in the bucket in 10 years, the experiences you have at university and how they shape who you are in the future are invaluable. Again, if you'd rather play poker then do it, or if you're trying to pay your way through school on a tight budget then cool, but I wouldn't be foregoing the awesomeness that is university so I can improve my lifestyle a little for the first few years after school.

axeshigh
10-19-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$50 000 will be $500,000 in 10 years,

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

But yes, I agree with most of your points.

FatalError
10-19-2005, 11:37 PM
no it was the only way i could not get a job and still be bankrolled safely and still get health insurance ect.

bigt439
10-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Not if you spend it like is being suggested. And I want to speak with whoever handles your money.

FatalError
10-19-2005, 11:39 PM
I saved up 50, spent 25 leaving me 25 to be bankrolled properly for the games i play. it was preety well planned out... and i have a personal accountant

10-20-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i played poker almost non stop my senior year and spent very little of the money, i did'nt have much of a social life

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
we're living lives our peers dream of

[/ QUOTE ]
Um.... I beg to differ. Even though I personally enjoy playing poker alot doesn't mean an average person our age would dream of sitting in your room all day during college.

[ QUOTE ]
You guys need to get your heads out of your asses, finish school

[/ QUOTE ]
Doing this, thanks.
[ QUOTE ]
because i gaurentee you when you're 40 and sitting around with your friends talking about what you were doing when you were 21, you're going to blow them all out of the water

[/ QUOTE ]
Friends: Yeah man when I was 21 it was the best years of my life.
You: Yeah man me too!
Friends: I used to just go out all the time, drink, get laid, and just enjoy the college experience! How about you man?
You: Well I didn't have a social life because I played online poker every day.
Friends: ....
You: :/

curtains
10-20-2005, 04:08 AM
I left school and I have zero regrets. It was probably stupid of me to be in school for two years, as the only thing I really learned was that I didn't want to be there. However this was also probably a good thing, as if I didn't go to begin with, I may have been unsure as to whether or not I should have finished college at some point.

But for all those who try to give advice such as "stay in school" or "don't stay in school", it's really stupid IMO. You should do whatever is best for you, and it should be pretty freaking obvious that what's best for you isn't going to be what was best for someone else. Anyone who doesn't understand that is pretty ignorant, yet somehow it seems that a lot of 2+2 posters have a strong opinion on how others should live their lives.

curtains
10-20-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not, but it doesn't really matter for what I want to say. What is this sentiment that's been dominating the board that you have to make all this money while you can to save for the future? People saying this are 19 and 20 for god's sake. I mean if you have more fun rocking out playing some poker that's awesome, but this foregoing a social life to save money is just ridiculous. Live a little and enjoy it while you have so much freedom. $50 000 will be a drop in the bucket in 10 years, the experiences you have at university and how they shape who you are in the future are invaluable. Again, if you'd rather play poker then do it, or if you're trying to pay your way through school on a tight budget then cool, but I wouldn't be foregoing the awesomeness that is university so I can improve my lifestyle a little for the first few years after school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus so ridiculous. Just because university was awesome for you, doesnt mean it will be for someone else. Believe it or not, some people may actually learn to have an active and exciting social life outside of college.

Mr_J
10-20-2005, 04:39 AM
"i played poker almost non stop my senior year"
"i did'nt have much of a social life,"

No offense but that's just you. I'd never average more than 28hrs a week. While this may have been the right decision for you, it may not be for other people. I dropped out of high school having no idea what I wanted to do in life (apart from not needing to go to uni). I think this has been the best decision I've ever made, and has lead me to a path that I'm really happy with (which includes poker for 2-4 more months).

Exitonly
10-20-2005, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I left school and I have zero regrets. It was probably stupid of me to be in school for two years, as the only thing I really learned was that I didn't want to be there. However this was also probably a good thing, as if I didn't go to begin with, I may have been unsure as to whether or not I should have finished college at some point.

But for all those who try to give advice such as "stay in school" or "don't stay in school", it's really stupid IMO. You should do whatever is best for you, and it should be pretty freaking obvious that what's best for you isn't going to be what was best for someone else. Anyone who doesn't understand that is pretty ignorant, yet somehow it seems that a lot of 2+2 posters have a strong opinion on how others should live their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this sounnds a lot like me, and you're one of the few people that i respect, that have told me this.

If you dont mind sharing, i'd really like to hear your story, if there is one, about what you did after dropping out of school. If you dont want to post it, could PM me, i think it would be really helpful to me.

10-20-2005, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

on point.

10-20-2005, 06:20 AM
I agree Curtains. I was going to write a whole story about how I think school sucks and stuff, but I decided not to. To summarize: I’m 18, and if I’d quit school my parents would literally kill me.

I think most people just don't get ‘it’. Of course this is very arrogant and all to think I know things better than most people, but I think I have a good point. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If you asked people what their goal in life is, they would give answers like: ‘I would like to be rich’, ‘I want to be famous’, ‘I want to get married and raise some kids’. What many don’t see is that everybody’s goal in life is just to be happy. They associate pleasure to something, like money, and then spend their life trying to get it. Many people for example, want to get rich because they think that would make them happy, and then work >>60 hours a week, live a miserable life with making money as their main goal. They forgot about their real goal (happiness) somewhere along the way. Would you rather be rich and unhappy or poor and happy? (easiest question ever /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I think you should just do what you want to do. It seems to me that everybody wants you to live an average life. To do everything just because that's the right thing to do. That makes no sense to me...

brimstone1
10-20-2005, 08:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

...I bought the car, the diamond watch, the apartment in downtown boston, the tv, the artwork, everything...

[/ QUOTE ]

One giant "LOL" after another, my friend.

Diamond watch? really? Hahaha, does a giant "$" logo spin on it too?

bigt439
10-20-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus so ridiculous. Just because university was awesome for you, doesnt mean it will be for someone else. Believe it or not, some people may actually learn to have an active and exciting social life outside of college.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're missing what I'm saying. I specifically said that if you'd rather be playing poker than having a social life that is totally cool. People should do what makes them happy; of course I can't tell someone what is best for them to be doing, especially when I barely know them. The OP clearly values a social life and references it several times. I'm addressing the OP's idea that you should be accumulating all this money while you can, and saying leave that for later when you will still have the opportuntity to (through poker or some other medium) and accumulate all of the unique univeristy experiences while you can, because you won't be able to later on in life (and anyone who's gone to university will tell you they never have really had an experience like it again). If he doesn't want to experience that type of social life, it's his call, but I think he is saying that he values that. There are obviously tons of unique variables one has to consider when making these decisions and I can't, nor am I trying, to address them all. I'm just saying that if you value both money and social experiences significantly, and the two are mutually exclusive at this point in your life, in general, get the social experiences while you can, because there will always be the chance for you to earn that money (unless, for you, there won't be). This isn't what I'm telling the OP he should do, it's my perspective on his comments, which he obviously wanted if he posted in the first place.

bigt439
10-20-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to spar with you specifically, but this comment seems pretty out of place given the threads you are describing. People do not think they know how other people should live their lives, they are offering their opinions, in threads that have been started solely to ask for these opinions. Obviously what is best for one person isn't best for another, but this idea that people know what will make them happy is ridiculous. Human instinct is incredibly flawed and that's why people seek advice in the first place. I don't think people are seeking definitive answers, and they're not going to do exactly what Cyber_Friend726 says to do, but they will take that into consideration when making their decision because they clealry value the opinions of the board (or else these posts wouldn't exist).

Hornacek
10-20-2005, 12:26 PM
h0llatchaboston... were you course VI?

FatalError
10-20-2005, 01:03 PM
my whole point was that i gave up my senior year of college so i would'nt have to get a job after i graduated, as it was i would'nt have accumulated a reasonable playing bankroll if i hadn't done that

FatalError
10-20-2005, 01:07 PM
no but it spells out ship it on the face, i thought that was a fun little touch

FatalError
10-20-2005, 01:13 PM
I did'nt focus on making that money just for the sake of it, or to put it away for retirement, i judged how much i needed to live a certain lifestyle after college but moreso to have a bankroll that provided me with a risk of ruin i felt safe with. I did'nt want to get a job after college because i knew i'd be miserable, the only option was to raise a responsible bankroll and the only way to do it was to sacrifice a few months of my college life.

raptor517
10-20-2005, 01:34 PM
i quit school for a year. i played poker more than most people could even think about. i made a lot of money. i wasnt happy. at all. this was me. im not telling anyone what to do, to do so would be an exercise in futility. (where did i steal that line from..). so yea, for me, i hated school before i quit. i hated poker when i did quit. i hated life all the while. then i came back with a new attitude and was like, hah, i do what i want bit**. i actually get to live now.. kinda nice. poker is gonna have to sit on the sidelines for a bit.. holla

pooh74
10-20-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to spar with you specifically, but this comment seems pretty out of place given the threads you are describing. People do not think they know how other people should live their lives, they are offering their opinions, in threads that have been started solely to ask for these opinions. Obviously what is best for one person isn't best for another, but this idea that people know what will make them happy is ridiculous. Human instinct is incredibly flawed and that's why people seek advice in the first place. I don't think people are seeking definitive answers, and they're not going to do exactly what Cyber_Friend726 says to do, but they will take that into consideration when making their decision because they clealry value the opinions of the board (or else these posts wouldn't exist).

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...what the hell are we posting about this stuff at all for then. (not that you, Curtains, have ever posted a question regarding school etc...but you get what I mean).

Anyone who makes a life decision based on what they read on a poker forum needs something more than school anyway, IMO...but at the same time, when I was 18, I had no idea what school would mean for my life if I went or not...Yes, at that age, I felt like I had come into my own, bla bla bla and that I knew what was best for myself...you know what? I had no clue...doesnt mean guys on here don't have a clue, but when I read that kind of stuff it makes me think they are looking for others' opinions. So I don't see what the big deal is.

I'm 31 and I STILL don't know what I want for my life exactly...school is almost NEVER a waste of time though (in my opinion). But hey, I still have no clue.