PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Interested in a HU tournament?

jasonHoldEm
06-03-2003, 08:31 PM
The recent Granny/Potmo battle has given me an idea (with some help from Mike Haven's post), would anyone be interested in participating in a HU tournament?

I'd be willing to organize if there is sufficient interest. I would invision something where I do a random draw of those people involved and then everyone battles down to two players (sort of like a playoff bracket). The winner of the final battle would be crowned HU champ of the zoo.

We could make it limit or no-limit. Stars has HU freezouts for both. NLHE buy-in's range from $5-1000, LHE range from $20-500. I could also contanct them to see about getting special arrangements.

Feel free to throw out some ideas, and let me know if you're interested.

jasonHoldEm
06-03-2003, 09:09 PM
I just sent Stars support an email to see what they can do for us, will report back when I know more. I'm not super interested in playing myself (I really suck at head's up play), but I'd be willing to play on stand-by (to balance the tables so no-one gets a first round bye).

What does everyone think about calling this event "The Zookeeper Tournament"?

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

kdog
06-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Sounds great Jason.I'm in if it flies.

dux
06-03-2003, 10:25 PM
I'm all for it, I say we could get 16 players, maybe even 32, and Stars could organise a heads up tourney. They do the draw automatically. Anyway, if it is after the 16th of June, then I can make it.

Bob L
06-03-2003, 10:48 PM
I would love to play too if there was room.

kdog
06-03-2003, 10:56 PM
My guess is at least 64 with an alternate list.Especially if you open it up to everyone instead of limiting it to Zoo denizons.Of course the title would then be at risk to someone from one of those silly boards where they discuss strategy and stuff. Nah,on second thought,Zoo denizons only sounds good.

dux
06-03-2003, 11:52 PM
I don't think we could get 32 Zoo players, from what I know about some of them, when the game gets short, they pack their bags...I certainly wouldn't mind either option, all boards being allowed in, or just the zoo.

jek187
06-04-2003, 12:01 AM
Count me in. I think MS Sunshine organized something similar ~1.5 years ago. You may want to PM him for some hints.

Glenn
06-04-2003, 12:11 AM
I will definitely play if it is limit, any buyin.

As far as only getting 32 people, the last one MS organized got over 100 I think, but that was a freeroll.

crazy canuck
06-04-2003, 12:17 AM

jasonHoldEm
06-04-2003, 12:37 AM
Ok, got some news from Pstars. They said they can make it happen if we want to do it.

I just got a PM from MS Sunshine, there were a little over 100 players for his, he also said we can just give first round byes if we are short players (I haven't confirmed that with PokerStars, but I assume it is still possible to do so).

I'm thinking about keeping the same scheduled time as the KotZ tournaments (i.e. Thursday at 9pm Eastern), would June 19th be acceptable to everyone?

MS also said the large majority of folks prefered limit for his tournament (and I think this makes the most sense as well). So I'm just going to make an executive decision and say that this tournament will be limit Hold'em.

Buy-in: How does $20 sound (I assume it will be $20+1, but again, have not yet confirmed anything with PokerStars). I would like it to be slightly less than the KotZ tournaments (because some people have complained that KotZ is too much), but would still like to make it large enough the winners get some decent money. If $20 is too high we could make it less. (As I've said before I probably won't be playing, just organizing...so it's really up to you guys).

Summary: "Zookeeper Heads-Up Tournament"
Date: June 19th (Thursday)
Time: 9:00 PM Eastern
Buy-in: $20 (plus rake, TBA)
Game: Limit Hold'em (Head's Up Play)

Please let me know if there are any MAJOR objections to the above, and I will get things set up with poker stars. This tournament will be password protected, and I will make the decisions on who gets in (same requirements as KotZ, you must be a regular poster).

Simon Diamond
06-04-2003, 12:45 AM
Good man /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

For Poker Stars Heads Up tournaments, they just assign byes if there are too many names in the first round bracket - ask lorinda, she was in one where something like 66 entered. She was one of the unlucky four who had to play a first round match - and all the others became restless as they had to wait over half an hour!

Great to hear of another budding tournament organiser amongst the ranks, I will start on some artwork unless you wish to create some? I assume everything can be included on a separate section of the KotZ site?

Simon

dux
06-04-2003, 12:52 AM
This might be the first heads up tourney for alot of people, I know it will be my first. I'm really looking forward to it.

jasonHoldEm
06-04-2003, 01:02 AM
Simon,

If you would be wililng to host the info on the KotZ site that would be great...LOL...I have no artistic skills (and you have done some great work for KotZ), so I would be greatly indebted to you if you care to make some graphics.

This should be fun, I hope we can get enough people involved (who knows, maybe I'll even play...)

onlinechamp
06-04-2003, 01:41 AM
This will be my first heads up tourney also I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

dr_mabuse
06-04-2003, 03:36 AM
hi jason,

i am interested if i am allowed to play and the buy-in is not at the higher-side of 5-1000$.

thanks and bye
olaf

crazy canuck
06-04-2003, 04:31 AM
Good job Jason. Did you ask stars if they would contribute to the prize pool?

Hung
06-04-2003, 07:25 AM
That could be fun. We played at UB for "play chips" at the headsup. We started with 1000. But UB took away that table, but I heard it's back. so our little HU tourny will go on.
Results: http://64.37.127.157/headsuptournament.htm

I wanted to make groups of 6 players. If you have 60 players you can make 10 groups. If you win, you get 1 point. the two big winners move up and the two losers go down. After awhile group 1 will be the strongest group. And they can be called the elitegroup. The last group will be the losers. I couldn't create groups because we don't have enough players here in Belgium. But this could work for the zoo.

BBill
06-04-2003, 08:59 AM
HU Tournament, Yesss, I'm there !!!!

RollaJ
06-04-2003, 09:05 AM
can we play somewhere besides that god damn awful PokerStars? I am so sick ouf the suckouts........
Last night 3 $50 heads up NLHE:
I have AK, all-in vs AQ pre-flop, flop A-Q-10...I lose
I have AJ all in vs K3o pre-flop, River King I lose
I have 10-7, flop top 2 money all goes in on the flop, lose to runner runner str8

I hate that F*cking Site..... I know Im the kook....

Simon Diamond
06-04-2003, 09:25 AM
What other poker site could organise a Heads Up tournament to a more professional level than Poker Stars?

I suck at Heads Up (and at poker in general it must be said), but I would compile the stats for you Jason if you wanted. I would most probably be on the rail, and with it being Limit Holdem that would give me time to write down all the matchups - which at the end could be turned into a bracket for everyone to see the full results.

Looking forward to it!

Simon

Stagemusic
06-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Sounds like a great idea. I suck at heads up (ok, poker in general) too but I would buy into a PL with a smaller buy in (10-20). Limit HU might take a little too long to make it fun.

David
06-04-2003, 10:29 AM
OK, I'll play. All you people who say you suck at headsup.......LOL.......wait until you see me! I am the headsup suckmeister! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-04-2003, 11:11 AM
OK. After some thought, what better way to work on my HU game. I'm in.

jek187
06-04-2003, 11:14 AM
The answer is simple rollaj. Just get all your $$ in the pot w/the worst of it. You're bound to win right?

Inthacup
06-04-2003, 11:25 AM
I'm willing to pay $20 to enter but I would much rather have it be a $10 tourney. I know that's low but for most of us it's a first time thing. I'd like to get my feet wet with a lower buy-in, just to "give it a try" and see if I like it. Also, how does the payout scheme work? Do you get payed if you make a certain round, or is there a losers bracket and people play for specific spots? The second option sounds more fun, but it would also take longer. Thanks for doing this Jason.

Simon Diamond
06-04-2003, 11:35 AM
They pay by the bracket. Check this page (http://www.pokerstars.com/tourney-hut.html) for more information.

Simon

Hung
06-04-2003, 11:56 AM
I hate that F*cking Site..... I know Im the kook....

I know how you feel. I feel the same. But I'll have to try and stop annoy people with it. nobody believes in ghosts and bad luck. That site is bad luck for me.
Yesterday similar thing happenened to me. A9 vs A5. he flops a 5. Anywya, don't want to think about it.

For the HU tourny. UB is free. But I suppose you guys want to play for real $$$
I like empire too for sit and go's. Because they send you the complete hand history after the game. It's pretty cool.
stars is fine for me. But I'm gonna cash out and just leave the bonusmoney. If the tourny is gonna take place before I lose all my moneyn, I'm in.

jasonHoldEm
06-04-2003, 01:00 PM
Hmm...for $10 I'd probably be willing to take a shot myself (and lose in the first round).

Anyone care if we make it $10 instead of $20...probably will be a lower payout, but more people playing.

I haven't heard anyone complain about the date (yet), I'm going to email stars and set up the preliminary stuff.

Also, what do you guys think about opening this up to non-zoo members? I know that the KotZ has primarily zoo people, but I've seen threads about it in other forums, and I think some non-zoo members played in the first one.

Let me know.

Simon Diamond
06-04-2003, 01:25 PM
I think $10 might please some of those who feel King of the Zoo is a bit pricey, but I think it is totally up to you. Ditto with allowing non zoo members in - I open up King of the Zoo to all regular 2+2 posters, most of whom pop in here at some point anyway. Trying to align certain people to certain boards can be difficult in some cases, as they post on multiple boards frequently.

Simon

GrannyMae
06-04-2003, 01:51 PM
can we play somewhere besides that god damn awful PokerStars?

i feel your pain mr jeremy.

however, the reality is that stars' superior software, coupled with unequalled help and cooperation from support makes it the only logical place.

unless truepoker would like to host these (KOTZ at stars, and HU-KOTZ at true), i can't think of any other site that does not loathe us. being willing to host it, and actually being helpful to our organizers as well as having the software that can handle it makes these 2 sites the only viable options imho.

http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/comp/CompKill2.gif

GrannyMae
06-04-2003, 02:08 PM
But I suppose you guys want to play for real $$$

i don't think i will be available the night of this first proposed HU tourney, but i beg of you guys to NOT make this a freebie. bragging rights are cool, but i think there will be much more interest if there is money involved.

again, i can't play that thursday, but would look forward to future ones if they had a buy-in. i prefer $20, but if everyone agrees with cup, i would play with the $10 buy-in.
(reluctantly)

http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/fish4.gif

eMarkM
06-04-2003, 02:41 PM
Great idea. I have to admit I've become quite addicted to the 4 player $21 matches on Stars. Action, action, action. I haven't read all the responses, but maybe Simon should make it part of his monthly rotation. NL, PL, Limit and HU/NL. The only draw back is there'd be a lot of waiting around for matches to finish, but I still think it's a good idea.

Simon Diamond
06-04-2003, 02:45 PM
I can't speak for Jason, but I would prefer to keep the KotZ separate to other events - although I have offered to host info on the HU event on the KotZ site.

Simon

jasonHoldEm
06-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Simon's been very helpful in showing me the ropes, but I think we both want to keep this seperate from the KotZ tournaments.

I'd love to make this a monthly or bi-monthly event; however, we might hit a bump or two over the next couple months...as I write my roommate is doing a phone interview with a company in Las Vegas...if he scores the job, were moving to Vegas (VEGAS, BABY! VEGAS!). That means a lot of packing, driving across the country, unpacking, finding a new job (for me), and finding a new ISP before I'm back online and I can orgainze the next one.

If the first one is successful we'll see where it goes from there (making it a regular event would certainly help those who want to improve our HU games).

I'm waiting to hear back from Stars, I requested rake prices for $10, 15, & 20 tournaments, and I also asked if they'd be willing to add some extra cash to the prize pool. Depending on the rake I think we should make it $15. This should be a happy medium for everyone as it will be exactly half of what the KotZ tournaments cost.

I'll post another message when I get the details.

bentlyman
06-04-2003, 03:21 PM
as I write my roommate is doing a phone interview with a company in Las Vegas...if he scores the job, were moving to Vegas (VEGAS, BABY! VEGAS!).

I've been reading your update posts and the've been pretty interesting. And you have been asking for advice so here's my 2Cts...

Just be careful with this. Playing small stakes poker on the internet at home while enjoying a few Iron City Lights or Rum and Cokes is one thing. Going to live in the big Sin is another thing. To make it there and be successful I would think you would need the whole package. Especially the item you've been talking about in your recent post - discipline. I;ve never lived there myself, but been to town about 20 times. Its another world with different rules. Remember, Rounders and Swingers are just movies(I like them too).

I'm not saying don't go. Just use caution. Maybe its the collar talking. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Anyway good luck in the future J.

On another note, I would be interested in a $10 HU NL tourny at stars if its going to happen. I agree with an earlier post that says Limit will be really time consuming.

BBill
06-04-2003, 06:27 PM
If I remember right the HU tourney that MS put together which included 100 entrants or so was played over 2 or 3 days. If we have that many playing this tourney we should plan on that. If we want it to be a one-nighter than we should limit the entry to 32 or so. Just an idea.

lorinda
06-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Some quick points.

1) Jason, Yes, I wanna play.

2) Rollaj, you should realise that stars would be totally mad to leave the rigged software in during a 2+2 tourney, even if it was rigged to start with.

3) Simon, I agree, $11 is a good idea to give those who find $33 for zoo to be too much.

4) BBill, I think that stars hu tourney software has improved somewhat in the last year, and 2 days shouldn't be neccessary if it is limited to 128

5) Jason, you might wish to mention this on the heads up/shorthanded forum, but it's your call.

Lori