PDA

View Full Version : continuing to get a master's degree

meleader2
10-19-2005, 05:21 PM
i'm due to graduate this spring, when i received an email from the department of architecture - paraphrased (i'm a computer science undergrad):

"Get a master's in architecture, students in your field have done very well in our program and make xx dollars a year!"

now i don't understand how i, a comp sci major, can get a master's in ARCHITECTURE without tons of work, not the standard 4 semester programs that i know about. is this type of thing common? does anyone have a BS that went on for a masters in a completely unrelated field?

also, what are your master's degrees...i'd like to get some ideas what i can do with this BS of mine.

asofel
10-19-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
now i don't understand how i, a comp sci major, can get a master's in ARCHITECTURE without tons of work

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you could think of a way...if you only had some inspiration...

meleader2
10-19-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
now i don't understand how i, a comp sci major, can get a master's in ARCHITECTURE without tons of work

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you could think of a way...if you only had some inspiration...

[/ QUOTE ]

hey now, don't get me wrong, i'm a hard worker and i don't slack but i just don't see how people in my major have done well in this area except for the designing by computer aspect

Lazymeatball
10-19-2005, 05:33 PM
lots of people pursue graduate degrees in fields unrelated to their bachelor's degree. Some common examples include doctors and lawyers and such.

xadrez
10-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Officially, my major was in Romance Language. Unofficially however, my Major was in Pharmacology and Ethnopharmacology.

meleader2
10-19-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lots of people pursue graduate degrees in fields unrelated to their bachelor's degree. Some common examples include doctors and lawyers and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but i think with doctors/lawyers there can be a common trend about what their undergrad diplomas were...poly sci/business/classics/theraputics not oddball/focused degrees like comp sci or dance..

peterchi
10-19-2005, 05:40 PM
I have a friend who is doing a Masters in Architecture at Yale. He loves it, but he sounds like the busiest person on the planet.

He says that they have less free time than the Med students. They get up at 7, go to class, then work in their studios until like midnight.

I wouldn't do it unless your heart is completely into it. Or unless your program is much more relaxed. But in that case, you probably wouldn't get as much out of it.

As for your 2nd question, if you have any interest in health sciences, you may want to look into Schools of Public Health. There's a ton of interesting programs there. I am currently finishing my Masters in Epidemiology.

Lazymeatball
10-19-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but i think with doctors/lawyers there can be a common trend about what their undergrad diplomas were...poly sci/business/classics/theraputics not oddball/focused degrees like comp sci or dance..

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two freinds who both graduated with computer engineering degrees. One is getting a masters in electrical engineering, the other is in law school. My orthopedic surgeon got his undergrad degree in MechE. The relationship between some of these fields kind of makes sense. The logic used in engineering can be similar to the logic used in law or medicine. It seems to me the logic used in CompSci could also be applied towards architecture, but it's probably best applied to slashing your neighbors tires.

peterchi
10-19-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not exactly true... in fact, as a group, music majors have the highest acceptance rate into Medical School (of course there's a reason for that -- probably self-selection, but that's not the point).

I think it's more that with Medical School and Law School, it's like, you can come from any background; they'll teach you what you need to know THERE, as long as you have learned the ability to use your brain (and have taken some requisite courses in the case of Medical School, but not necessarily have a major in like Molecular Biology).

mslif
10-19-2005, 05:47 PM
My master's is in Cellular Biology. I would not advise anyone who does not have a strong background in mathematics to get into that type of program. My bachelor was in microbiology with a minor in virology, you would think that helps, well not really /images/graemlins/frown.gif

belloc
10-19-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you guys run all of the servers at your campus? Clickety clickety...instant masters. Sounds like a job for the BOFH.

[ QUOTE ]
also, what are your master's degrees...i'd like to get some ideas what i can do with this BS of mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a masters. I got mine in civil engineering, and I never would have gotten my first job without it. I would have been able to get *a* job, just not the one I ended up getting; they didn't even consider BS grads. And I certainly wouldn't have the job I have now without an advanced degree.

I'm sure it's totally dependent on the field and/or job market, but in many cases it really can make a great deal of difference in how you're perceived as a potential hire.

meleader2
10-19-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two freinds who both graduated with computer engineering degrees. One is getting a masters in electrical engineering, the other is in law school. My orthopedic surgeon got his undergrad degree in MechE. The relationship between some of these fields kind of makes sense. The logic used in engineering can be similar to the logic used in law or medicine. It seems to me the logic used in CompSci could also be applied towards architecture, but it's probably best applied to slashing your neighbors tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

here we go...

i take it i'm going to have to leave my personal exploits out of OOT to avoid sarcastic responses. well, your's wasn't truly sarcastic, just a well placed jab i might say..

offTopic
10-19-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
now i don't understand how i, a comp sci major, can get a master's in ARCHITECTURE without tons of work, not the standard 4 semester programs that i know about. is this type of thing common? does anyone have a BS that went on for a masters in a completely unrelated field?

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure it isn't software architecture? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and an MS in Computer Science. Pretty unrelated. I thought there would be a reasonable amount of correlation between the undergrad requirements for both. There weren't. /images/graemlins/frown.gif