PDA

View Full Version : ZeeJustin's SnG quest...Sparked an Idea

10-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Long time reader but a first time poster. Wanted to say thank you to all individuals that make this site what it is...a money making database.

I learned about ZeeJustin's Quest for 1000 $200 + 15 SnG's and it sparked an idea for me. I have a BR of about 10K that I have accumulated over the last year. So, obviously I am not going to be able to do $200+15 SnG's but my game is not ready for that either. I find that I am doing very well at the $30+3 SnG's on Party and Skins (before the end of the world). Anyway I am wondering if it would be wise to undertake a quest like ZeeJustin with the $30+3 SnG's. I recently moved from $5/10 limit full ring game to the $15/30 level and have found short term success at that level. I am comfortable playing both SnG's and Limit games but I want the one that has the highest EV for the same period of time.

Question, $30+3 SnG's or $15/30 ring games the right move for my BR and ability level?

MegaBet
10-19-2005, 04:33 PM
FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQ!

How can you be a long time reader if you have not read the FAQ?

citanul
10-19-2005, 04:36 PM
if you can play and win at hte 15/30 game and be comfortable with your bankroll, you should not really be that interested in the 30+3 sngs.

then again, you should also be comfortable with a significantly higher stakes sng (if you feel your game is up to it) as the variance at ring games is far greater than the variance at sngs.

if you are competant at 15/30, there is very little reason to play sngs at any "reasonable" stakes if all you care about is the $ involved.

c

Indiana
10-19-2005, 04:50 PM
What about playin the 30s for the love of the game as well as the $?

Indy

10-19-2005, 05:02 PM
He was asking about $$, not love of the game. I mean, we all love the game, but that love fades when your bankroll gets flushed!

lacky
10-19-2005, 05:10 PM
i have a hard time believing the asker of these questions has the level of knowledge to have long term demonstrated success anywhere yet. he may have the ability, but I don't think he's been in the game long enough to know.

so...i vote $33

Steve

10-19-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you can play and win at hte 15/30 game and be comfortable with your bankroll, you should not really be that interested in the 30+3 sngs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have provided more detail about my playing experience in my initial post. I was just trying to keep it short and sweet for my first post.

I started off by playing $1 / 2 trying to clear bonuses every month on Party/Skins and UB with a BR of $300. I started increasing my bankroll; then I found that I was placing ITM in $5 tourneys and in Freerolls. So, I went through a period where I was playing mostly $5 tourneys, freerolls and trying to qualify for bigger tourneys through SnG’s. I was fairly successful with three second place finishes and one first all n $5 tourneys. Then the well went dry, the down swing was like many describe “very difficult” to take. I even stopped playing for a few weeks. I then went back to playing $1 / 2 and moved up to 2/4 and a little 3/6. At this point I got confident again and started playing tourneys. I played the nightly $30 6-person tourney on UB for a week and won it 2 nights in a row! Unfortunate that was also followed by a period of ego boosted downswings. Played a ton of tourneys and finished poorly in all of them. Once my ego was crushed I went back to ring games and played 5/10 for a brief period of time. At this point I was encouraged by a friend to try 15/30 he said it was weaker than the 5/10 game on Party. So, I watched for a few days and used PT to build some stats and notice that there were plenty of fish at that level. So I began to play about a month ago. I have done well and up a couple grand for 5K hands. I know that 5K hands is no where near enough to say that I can even breathe at that level (This is also why I did not include this info in my initial post). I admire the work all of you have put in at these levels and I am in search of some knowledge as to the next best step for my progression in the game.

I know that one of my goals for this year is to play well and place in some major tourneys. So I thought that doing 1000 $30+3 SnG’s seemed like a great way to improve my tourney ability and prepare me for final table situations.

So there it is….thanks again for your advice.

10-19-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can you be a long time reader if you have not read the FAQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct...I will post better in the future.

Nicholasp27
10-19-2005, 09:19 PM
how many sngs have u played?

raptor517
10-19-2005, 09:26 PM
15-30 is nowhere near the same ballpark as the 33s. its about like the 215s. holla

tom441lbk
10-19-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
15-30 is nowhere near the same ballpark as the 33s. its about like the 215s. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

lets don't get baseball involved now

10-19-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how many sngs have u played?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have played a 100 or so, mostly qualifiers for larger tournaments.

Nicholasp27
10-19-2005, 09:36 PM
100 is not nearly enough to know ANYTHING about your success at sngs...i'd recommend playing many more before committing urself to any sort of 'quest'...u should make sure u are comfortable playing them and are a long-term winner first...90% of these 'quests' on here end poorly

handsome
10-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Move up to the $50+5's at LEAST.. then after that you will have no problem moving up, as the difference in skill level is marginal after the 50+5's..

Newt_Buggs
10-20-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Move up to the $50+5's at LEAST.. then after that you will have no problem moving up, as the difference in skill level is marginal after the 50+5's..

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you're joking.

johnnybeef
10-20-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you're joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

10-20-2005, 09:56 AM
This is my first post on here, but i have read alot on this forum for the two years.

Due to a recent loss of my entire br in the 5/10 nl sh game, i have gone back to how i originally got started, STTs with a few MTTs mixed in. I used to 4 table the $30s, but after reading about ZeeJustins success 8 tabling, i went and bought a 2nd monitor and tried it myself. I have been 8 tabling for about 3 weeks so far in the $30s, playing about 700 tourneys so far (this is just done in my spare time as i am a full time student and have a part time job, and a social life). While my ITM is still consistent as when i was 4 tabling (about 35-36%) my ROI has suffered as i am still adjusting to this (from about 11% to just over 9%). I have made about $2000 in these 700 games, and dont exactly see why you would say that this is not a good game to build a br. This would seem to be the perfect game to do it in. I feel the $50s are a complete waste, as the little extra money is not worth the extra time it takes for these games (due to the 1000 starting chips). I plan on 8 tabling the $30s for a few months and then jumping to the $100s. With the way my schedule works i will be able to play about 2000 $30 tourneys a month, and i am assuming this will drop to closer to 1500 a month when i move up to the $100s and $200s.
While it is true that $30 tourneys are not as profitable as 15/30, it is a very good way to build a br with almost no risk (i am expecting to make well over 5K a month with rakeback)

Exitonly
10-20-2005, 09:59 AM
The 50's may take marginally longer, but you have more chips to exploit your better play, it balancecs out.

Don't think it would be a good idea to jump from 33 to 109.