PDA

View Full Version : Tempoary housing in NYC

teajay
10-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Anyone know of some good places to look for housing at a reasonable price.

I'm going down from Jan-Apr of 2006 for a job with Lehman Brothers. I'll be working at 7th and 49th. I live in Canada now, and just looking at the price of rent for even a studio in NY is just astonishing!! Ideally I will be flying, bringing only clothes and laptop, so something furnished and with amenities would be nice. It's just me, so a 1 bedroom or studio is all I need.

I wouldn't mind living Midtown, east or west but from what I understand deals are hard to find in these areas.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks

xadrez
10-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Craigslist is your friend (http://newyork.craigslist.org/)

10-19-2005, 04:14 PM
You should look into living in Brooklyn or Queens. You can live in a neighborhood that is a 10-15 min subway ride from Midtown and not have to pay Manhattan rents.
Getting a place in Manhattan is rather difficult and time consuming, apartments are simply at a premium.
Also try Craigslist.com or check w/ your employer they may also be able to help you.
Good luck

teajay
10-19-2005, 04:16 PM
I was thinking about this, but I was unsure of how much it would cost to take the subway every day. If its going to run me a couple hundred every month for a subway, I could just rent a place closer with that money.. Or am I way off here? Sorry, I've never even been to NYC /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

IndieMatty
10-19-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about this, but I was unsure of how much it would cost to take the subway every day. If its going to run me a couple hundred every month for a subway, I could just rent a place closer with that money.. Or am I way off here? Sorry, I've never even been to NYC /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You will need to ride the subway almost every day. It's 72 a month. Is Lehman giving you more money? Or is this a one time consulting gig. they should either be supplying room and board or paying you a much higher rate.

samjjones
10-19-2005, 04:18 PM
http://currency.hardlighthost.co.uk/images/big_box.jpg
Definitely check out craigslist. Look at Queens or Brooklyn.

10-19-2005, 04:21 PM
An unlimited pass (Metrocard) is $76 a month. With it you have unlimited access to the subway for an entire month. You will not need a car in NYC, in fact it is a hinderence. Google New york city transit authority, you will have subway maps and fare info. ( too lazy to post a link).

razor
10-19-2005, 04:26 PM
great avatar

10-19-2005, 04:31 PM
The world needs more Gallo

IndieMatty
10-19-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The world needs more Gallo

[/ QUOTE ]

THATS WHERE I HAVE SEEN THAT BEFORE! Cripes.