PDA

View Full Version : What if you fell 30 ft?

WackityWhiz
10-19-2005, 04:05 PM
If you were ever to fall out of the third story of a building, how would you want to land in order to cause the least injury to yourself?

I don't really know why, but I think about this question from time to time and I was wondering what you guys thought. If I had my choice, I would want to land on my side with my arms protecting my head from slamming directly into the ground.

how about you? (let's say you are falling onto grass)

FouTight
10-19-2005, 04:07 PM
feet first

I figure, if I'm falling out of this height, I must really be running from something, may as well hit the ground running.

jaydub
[ QUOTE ]
If you were ever to fall out of the third story of a building, how would you want to land in order to cause the least injury to yourself?

I don't really know why, but I think about this question from time to time and I was wondering what you guys thought. If I had my choice, I would want to land on my side with my arms protecting my head from slamming directly into the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

On your feet? Broken legs are better than punctured organs.

peachy
my back...even though thats not the best way...id be afraid of landing on my side and sending my ribs into some organ i need

Freakin
I think I'd probably want to land flat on my back, with my arms crossed behind my head to protect my head and neck. On your side sounds like it would cause serious back/neck injury, and I'm sure it would at least break your collarbone.

swede123
10-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Thirty feet is enough to break legs but not much more if you land on your feet, trying to roll down to your side to slow the fall some. Trying to land on your back or side would be a good way to break your back I'd think.

Swede

asofel
10-19-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thirty feet is enough to break legs but not much more if you land on your feet, trying to roll down to your side to slow the fall some. Trying to land on your back or side would be a good way to break your back I'd think.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i would think....that a well timed ballup/roll might be able to deflect some of the force...but who knows....blarg? jake?

Shajen
10-19-2005, 04:11 PM
definitely on my head.

Seriously, though, how could it be anything other than feet first?

MonkeeMan
10-19-2005, 04:12 PM
"In a good tight body position."

That's what they told us in jump school. Basically on your feet, but with every joint slightly bent, and then do a controlled collapse while rolling to the side.

Either that or head first.

Richard Tanner
10-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Exactly, the body is one big shock absorber, land with your limps slightly bend to absorb the force and you could wake away from it.

Cody

Blarg
10-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Haven't you seen the Parkour guys? They land on their feet from three story jumps. Incredible stuff. Wish I still had the link of one of their videos I saw. Maybe I can dig it up. It's from a French movie released this year.

imported_anacardo
10-19-2005, 04:15 PM
This is clearly 3d6 points of damage no matter how you slice it.

10-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Grab some roller blades or a skateboard and make a rad landing and roll away.

WackityWhiz
10-19-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm glad I asked this question. I guess if I landed on my side I would be lucky to escape serious injury. The feet is clearly the right response.

At least now I'll have a chance to survive if this ever happens /images/graemlins/cool.gif

HopeydaFish
10-19-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i would think....that a well timed ballup/roll might be able to deflect some of the force...but who knows....blarg? jake?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've known two people who have fallen off the roof of 2 storey-homes. One guy was a black-belt in jiujitsu and knew how to fall properly (I'm not entirely sure what he did, but it involved a roll), and wasn't injured at all when he got up and brushed himself off.

The other guy was a big guy who landed on his stomach. His stomach hurt a bit after he fell, but didn't break any bones, so he considered himself lucky. A few days later his stomach started to bother him, but he was going through a stressful period, and thought it was just indigestion. The pain persisted, but he refused to go to a doctor. His breath then started to get really bad...it smelled like something had literally died inside him. Actually, something *literally* had -- his stomach had moved and twisted when he'd hit the ground, and had become gangrenous over time. He finally collapsed one day with a massive fever and was rushed to the hospital. They ended up having to remove a good chunk of his stomach to save his life.

So, to answer your question, I wouldn't land on my stomach. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RunDownHouse
10-19-2005, 04:23 PM
I'd do whatever PLF was correct for my body orientation at the time. Might still snap an ankle or a leg or something, but shouldn't be too bad.

theghost
10-19-2005, 04:24 PM
pillows

DMBFan23
10-19-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what this means /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Crimson
10-19-2005, 04:29 PM
The best way is to land and roll, but if thats not possible based on your trajectory, this is the correct position to land in.

One leg bent, one arm over your head, and the other at your side.
http://www.travelphoto.net/photos/pictures/aikido/i2.jpg

His left arm should be straight here though.

private joker
10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Semi-NSFW (http://img344.imageshack.us/img344/6308/splat3bc.jpg)

That might happen if you do it wrong.

Crimson
10-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Also, as a random bit of information, a human can survive a fall from an infinite # of feet, if he lands on snow on a mountain or something. A human reaches a terminal velocity of about 200mp/h very quickly, and in my physics corse we discussed cases of men falling out of airplaines, landing on snow, getting up bruised and walking away.

Blarg
10-19-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I crashed into a truck on my bike at about 30 MPH or so, flipped up over the top, and did a standard jiu jitsu front roll, guiding myself with my hand, tucking in and then rolling. I rolled up onto one foot and was standing on my feet when it was done. But the force of the quick spin plus the speed it was started at was tremendous, and the foot I came up on coming out of the roll hit the ground pretty hard, and the outside of my knee was really sore too. My bike was snapped completely in half, though, so I did better than it did.

I don't really know what the best way to do it would be, but I think it would take a great deal of training not to get seriously hurt, or just some kind of great luck and innate athleticism and strong bones and joints. Apparently, from seeing the Parkour videos, you can jump from some staggering heights if you're trained well and be fine, landing on your feet. I think if I had forward momentum, I'd go into a roll, and if I didn't, I'd try landing on my feet. I've often thought it would be better to land on my back, because I can fall extraordinarily well on my back. But the thing is, having a feel for where your body should be when your back is only a few feet from the ground is much different than when it's 30 feet from the ground. And the way you would fall would be different too. I think landing on your back instead of accidentally on your shoulder, head, or neck would be pretty tricky, and catastrophic if it goes wrong. I think I'd rather have my legs shattered than have my head knocked off my neck.

dtbog
10-19-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what this means /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I do too, and I never even actually played.

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 04:40 PM
My inclination would be to say tuck & roll, but i'd be afraid the ground would be coming up too fast and my attempted roll would just land me head first into the dirt. So I'd probably say soft legs and roll backward using a slapping motion at the ground as your roll back. It's another pretty common martial arts fall.

I think paratroopers roll sideways or something, but I don't know how to do it.

Blarg
10-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Here's a link to some of the Parkour guys video.

http://www.le-parkour.com/leparkour.avi

They have other ones there too.

The movie I was talking about was Banlieue 13, and I'm hoping Netflix gets it. If not, I may buy it. Anyway, I saw a video in which a guy was doing all kinds of crazy stuff. The video here that I linked to is not quite that wild, but still shows a guy running up the side of a house, doing a very cool jump onto a narrow handrail, and some cool acrobatics. Lots of talk in it, but worth the download.

10-19-2005, 04:53 PM
I've fallen close to thirty feet before. I was rock climbing without ropes and got to a a point on the rock face where I couldn't climbed anymore in any direction, and I couldn't climb back down the way I came up. I just sttod there clinging to the rock face until my muscles couldn't hold me there anymore. I probably fell 25-30 feet and landed on my feet. The ground was uneven and most of the force of the fall was transfered to my left leg and ankle. The force of landing threw me to my back and I skidded along the ground for a little bit. Luckily I was climbing with a friend and she helped my to our vehicle and to the emergency room. I only ended up with a severe ankle sprain and the cuts on my back. Ever since then I have had a fear of heights that I had never had before.

samjjones
10-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Falling will do that to you.

When I was a kid, a bunch of us would routinely climb up to our grammar school's roof to retrieve footballs and jump back down onto the grass. That was at least 25 feet high. Luckily never got hurt. I drive by the school now, and feel lucky I didn't break my neck back then.

asofel
10-19-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I crashed into a truck on my bike at about 30 MPH or so, flipped up over the top, and did a standard jiu jitsu front roll, guiding myself with my hand, tucking in and then rolling. I rolled up onto one foot and was standing on my feet when it was done. But the force of the quick spin plus the speed it was started at was tremendous, and the foot I came up on coming out of the roll hit the ground pretty hard, and the outside of my knee was really sore too. My bike was snapped completely in half, though, so I did better than it did.

I don't really know what the best way to do it would be, but I think it would take a great deal of training not to get seriously hurt, or just some kind of great luck and innate athleticism and strong bones and joints. Apparently, from seeing the Parkour videos, you can jump from some staggering heights if you're trained well and be fine, landing on your feet. I think if I had forward momentum, I'd go into a roll, and if I didn't, I'd try landing on my feet. I've often thought it would be better to land on my back, because I can fall extraordinarily well on my back. But the thing is, having a feel for where your body should be when your back is only a few feet from the ground is much different than when it's 30 feet from the ground. And the way you would fall would be different too. I think landing on your back instead of accidentally on your shoulder, head, or neck would be pretty tricky, and catastrophic if it goes wrong. I think I'd rather have my legs shattered than have my head knocked off my neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok whatever Ong-Bak /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MonkeeMan
10-19-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, you align your body vertical, bend you joints slightly, but keep muscles fairly tight, and when you hit the ground you collapse to either side, letting the ground hit first your feet, then calf, thigh, butt, etc.

BTW, I've seen 2 people jump from 1250', chutes fail to open (but streamers), and walk away using this method.

SossMan
10-19-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The other guy was a big guy who landed on his stomach. His stomach hurt a bit after he fell, but didn't break any bones, so he considered himself lucky. A few days later his stomach started to bother him, but he was going through a stressful period, and thought it was just indigestion. The pain persisted, but he refused to go to a doctor. His breath then started to get really bad...it smelled like something had literally died inside him. Actually, something *literally* had -- his stomach had moved and twisted when he'd hit the ground, and had become gangrenous over time. He finally collapsed one day with a massive fever and was rushed to the hospital. They ended up having to remove a good chunk of his stomach to save his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

let me get this straight. the guy jumped off a two story house, landed on his stomach, had stomach issues a few days later, and thought it was stress??

RunDownHouse
10-19-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'd do whatever PLF was correct for my body orientation at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
PLF = parachute landing fall.

I'm not in the military, but I've talked with friends/seen/read about it. It'd be a shot in the dark for me to try it, but better than just flailing around.

10-19-2005, 06:00 PM
That would be something to impress your old classmates with on a reunion.

And I would land on my feet. Not ever would I land on my back as some said since I wouldn't be able to breathe for about 1 hour afterwards.

Sponger15SB
10-19-2005, 06:06 PM
One of my friends from high school goes to UCLA, and over a year ago before finals he was trying to take a shortcut in between houses to get to another street to find a party. Anyways, he jumps over this wall and he thinks its like 10 feet down, turns out its over 20 feet, and he breaks both his feet and was in a wheel chair for almost all of summer.

Blarg
10-19-2005, 06:09 PM
I always try not to laugh at other people's misery. This time, I failed.

Isura
10-19-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The movie I was talking about was Banlieue 13, and I'm hoping Netflix gets it. If not, I may buy it. Anyway, I saw a video in which a guy was doing all kinds of crazy stuff. The video here that I linked to is not quite that wild, but still shows a guy running up the side of a house, doing a very cool jump onto a narrow handrail, and some cool acrobatics. Lots of talk in it, but worth the download.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is pretty cool.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/29618/run_escape_jump/

Sponger15SB
10-19-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We used to mess with him a little bit, doing stuff like pushing his wheelchair into a corner or something, or just leaving him in the car at a friends house and walking away for a minute.

It was hilarious, until I broke my elbow and was in a full arm cast. We were a bunch of cripples who couldn't drive, so a friend would pick us up and we'd go to the mall or something and people would give us the stragest looks. Imagine a guy with 1 arm pushing a guy in a wheel chair, a few times we told people that we were the victims of a drunk driver and they'd get this horrible look on their faces before we busted up laughing.

WackityWhiz
10-19-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

We used to mess with him a little bit, doing stuff like pushing his wheelchair into a corner or something, or just leaving him in the car at a friends house and walking away for a minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, that is some funny [censored], since it was a temporary injury...

swede123
10-19-2005, 06:26 PM
This one is pretty cool.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/29618/run_escape_jump/

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a cool sequence. Thanks.

Swede

spamuell
10-19-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a few times we told people that we were the victims of a drunk driver and they'd get this horrible look on their faces before we busted up laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol nice

Browny
10-19-2005, 06:31 PM
I was playing hide and seek with some schoolmates when I was about 7 or 8. There was a cliff behind the school that was about 50 feet in height. There was a small ledge about five feet from the top of the cliff that looked like an unbeatable hiding spot. I walked up the hill until I was above the ledge. I slowly lowered my left leg over the edge until I reached the shelf. In this position my weight was completely centered on my left leg with my right leg still on top well above my hip. As I attempted to move my right leg down I lost my balance and pitched forward. There was a remarkably limbless pine tree about ten feet out from the cliff. My last desperate thought as I peeled from the cliff like a flying squirrel was to push off in an attempt to catch the tree. Unfortunately, when I got to the tree I had already fallen about ten feet and was moving way to fast to hold on. I gave it my best bear hug but mostly just slid/bounced off slowly rotating backwards. The ground beneath the cliff was fairly soft grassless soil covered in pine needles. I landed flat on my back and the air in my lungs exited violently leaving me gasping like a fish on the bank of a river. I was absolutely unhurt. I believe the tree, although removing a large portion of the skin on my arms, actually slowed me down enough that in combination with the relatively soft ground and the sheer stupid luck and flexibility of a young boy landing perfectly flat on my back, arms out to my side, saved me from injury. Unfortunately, I was expelled from that school the next day.

swede123
10-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Damn, that's the kind of story that might happen in a dream of mine. Amazing you came out OK.

Swede

TimM
10-19-2005, 06:37 PM
This clip was sent to me by a customer of my former employer. It was captured on one of our video recorders. Here are his comments:

"If you'd like to see some interesting video captured by your software go to

link (http://www.talkchess.com/timm/jumper.html)

seems that a boyfriend of one of our tenants thought he could jump from the 3rd floor of the building - he was correct however not without apparently painful consequences."

I shortened the video which originally was about 13 minutes long. The rest shows the guy writhing on the ground for a while until the paramedics arrive.

bernie
10-19-2005, 06:43 PM
That was bad ass.

I rather enjoyed watching the guy go down the middle of the stairwell. Hitting the handrails on his way down.haha

b

HopeydaFish
10-19-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

let me get this straight. the guy jumped off a two story house, landed on his stomach, had stomach issues a few days later, and thought it was stress??

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. When I asked him about it once he got out of the hospital, he told me that he'd "forgotten that he'd fallen off the roof" when his stomach issues began.

The Truth
10-19-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing hide and seek with some schoolmates when I was about 7 or 8. There was a cliff behind the school that was about 50 feet in height. There was a small ledge about five feet from the top of the cliff that looked like an unbeatable hiding spot. I walked up the hill until I was above the ledge. I slowly lowered my left leg over the edge until I reached the shelf. In this position my weight was completely centered on my left leg with my right leg still on top well above my hip. As I attempted to move my right leg down I lost my balance and pitched forward. There was a remarkably limbless pine tree about ten feet out from the cliff. My last desperate thought as I peeled from the cliff like a flying squirrel was to push off in an attempt to catch the tree. Unfortunately, when I got to the tree I had already fallen about ten feet and was moving way to fast to hold on. I gave it my best bear hug but mostly just slid/bounced off slowly rotating backwards. The ground beneath the cliff was fairly soft grassless soil covered in pine needles. I landed flat on my back and the air in my lungs exited violently leaving me gasping like a fish on the bank of a river. I was absolutely unhurt. I believe the tree, although removing a large portion of the skin on my arms, actually slowed me down enough that in combination with the relatively soft ground and the sheer stupid luck and flexibility of a young boy landing perfectly flat on my back, arms out to my side, saved me from injury. Unfortunately, I was expelled from that school the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get expelled for the fall?

-blake

The Truth
10-19-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This clip was sent to me by a customer of my former employer. It was captured on one of our video recorders. Here are his comments:

seems that a boyfriend of one of our tenants thought he could jump from the 3rd floor of the building - he was correct however not without apparently painful consequences."

I shortened the video which originally was about 13 minutes long. The rest shows the guy writhing on the ground for a while until the paramedics arrive.

[/ QUOTE ]

The girlfriend should have went to check on him.

-blake

The Truth
10-19-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Haven't you seen the Parkour guys? They land on their feet from three story jumps. Incredible stuff. Wish I still had the link of one of their videos I saw. Maybe I can dig it up. It's from a French movie released this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those guys are amazing, I think im gonna go practice this skill.

-blake

TimM
10-19-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She does. Did you watch it all?

HopeydaFish
10-19-2005, 06:59 PM
So this cliff was in the schoolyard? And it wasn't fenced? And they expelled you for acting like a kid and screwing around on it?

These days the school would be kissing the kid's ass, and the kid's parents' asses, for fear of getting sued.

The Truth
10-19-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same as you at first. I took jiu jitsu and judo which relate. landing on your back with palms down helps increase surface area and spreads the blow out.
I think this is more for when you can't land on your feet, and I agree that it would be hard to time this falling as quickly as you would be.

To assist in the discussion a bit.

30ft is about 9meters.

Which means you would be traveling about 13m/s on at impact.

Which is about 29 miles per hour.

You would fall for about 1.3 seconds.

-blake

The Truth
10-19-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She does. Did you watch it all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was some kid or random passerby.

-blake

Browny
10-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Yes, they told my parents I was uncontrollable.

Well…there were a few other…incidents /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The Truth
10-19-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they told my parents I was uncontrollable.

Well…there were a few other…incidents /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you still uncontrollable?

If the answer is yes, wanna go bar hopping and get completely belligerent drunk?

If the answer is yes, what city do you live in and we'll pencil it in on our world tour starting in jan.

-blake

Browny
10-19-2005, 07:34 PM
The school was very small. Just sort of a schoolhouse in a large wooded area. Acres of forest and hills to explore. We were allowed to just go out at recess and play all over the place. The teachers were outside with us, but couldn’t really keep track of every kid.

You are right though. I guess back then people didn’t think of suing for things like that. My parents by then were used to me being a dumbass, and other than being expelled there weren’t really any other consequences.

I have my own young boys now and I can tell you if I ever found out they fell off a friggin cliff at school there would be hell to pay.

NLSoldier
10-19-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this just DLed as an audio file for me, no video /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Freakin
10-19-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was hilarious, until I broke my elbow and was in a full arm cast. We were a bunch of cripples who couldn't drive, so a friend would pick us up and we'd go to the mall or something and people would give us the stragest looks. Imagine a guy with 1 arm pushing a guy in a wheel chair, a few times we told people that we were the victims of a drunk driver and they'd get this horrible look on their faces before we busted up laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao... you've told this before, but it's just as funny the second time.

CORed
10-19-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would want to land on a haystack.

man
10-19-2005, 08:31 PM
me and one of my friends used to have "ninja practice" on campus at night. it involved climbing into buildings through open windows and screwing around with janitors. we used to jump some pretty high hieghts in order to avoid detection. I'm guessing the farthest I ever fell was about 20 feet onto very padded ground. I haven't really been trained in it, but my instinct says you have to gather some forward momentum and roll onto your shoulder when you hit the ground. I've jumped off of second floor porches this way and haven't broken anything, so I'm guessing it is something close to correct.

by the way, wouldn't the 3rd story be closer to 20-25 feet? 1st floor: 0-5 feet, 2nd floor: +10, 3rd floor: +another 10...

cwsiggy
10-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Those vids are amazing. That is definitely the same guy in the second "movie" sequence. Same building at the end.