PDA

View Full Version : Using an FM Tranmitter

DeathbySuckout
10-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Anybody use this in your car for your MP3 player? I bought a Belkin Tunecast 2 FM Transmitter, and it sounds like crap. Is this standard? I've tried all up and down the dial, and it seems that it just doesn't broadcast a strong enough signal.

Anybody have luck with another brand?

swede123
10-19-2005, 03:42 PM
I don't know about the other models, but re. the Belkin model it's not you, the thing sucks ass. Not an acceptable solution, in my opinion, that's how bad it is. I'd consider upgrading to a head-unit with a plug-in on the front.

Swede

The Goober
10-19-2005, 04:01 PM
I tried the monster cable (I think) one in my car and couldn't get it to not sound like crap. People seem to have very mixed experiences with these, even in the same city. I think a lot depends on the setup of your radio and how well it recieves signals from within the cabin (mine sounded better if I could get the transmitter up on my dash by the windshield, but that wasn't a good place to leave it). Either way, if you drive any sort of distance you are doomed to have to keep adjusting the channel as you pass through different areas.

If you have a tape deck, a simple tape adapter thingy sounds better and requires less screwing around. Whenever I get another car (used likely) I hope it has a tape deck and not a CD player for this reason.

flatline
10-19-2005, 04:11 PM
I've found that it totally depends on the car/placement of the antenna. I have a FM transmitter and it sounds like crap in my car, but sounds great in some other cars.

Matt24
10-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Mine sounds fine. Though it takes me a few empty stations to find one that actually sounds good when I would think it should sound good on any station that is complete static.

DeathbySuckout
10-19-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not an acceptable solution, in my opinion, that's how bad it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I feel the same way. It sounds so bad that you can't even listen to it.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd consider upgrading to a head-unit with a plug-in on the front.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to look into this. I didn't know these were out. The only thing I saw before was the adapter, and it looked like it was only for ipod (I have a Micro Zen).
Thanks

captZEEbo1
10-19-2005, 04:52 PM
anyone like the griffin? Or what model are people satisfied with?

10-20-2005, 03:09 AM
I have had the Griffin model, and before that another one called the iRock (which only gives you four station choices! it sucked) to use when driving, and the sound quality can be excellent, but only if you are not in a heavily populated area where all sorts of other FM broadcast signals interfere with yours. Especially on long drives, you will need to occasionally switch around and find an unused station.

So I agree with Goober, if you are using it when driving get a cassette tape adapter instead. Way less hassle and the music will stay good and consistent.

wall_st
10-20-2005, 03:32 AM
I have an older itrip and find that it is pretty good, most of my complaints are very similar to other posters. The new itrips look really slick and have an LCD screen on the top so you don't have to deal with the itrip playlist. I have heard the thing works a lot better than the older ones, but have not confirmed that personally.

Look for a stereo aux output on your deck in your car, I randomly found one the other day on my girlfriends deck , plugged a standard cable in and it sounds great.