PDA

View Full Version : Flush Draw Backs Into Set

ninjaunderwear
10-19-2005, 02:25 PM
SB is loose-passive at 50.0/1.00/0.69 after 100 hands. The one hand I did see him raise was [ Kd, 9d ] UTG+1 after UTG limped, so maybe not so great a grasp on the game.
CO is also loose, but a bit more aggressive at 49.4 / 6.49 / 1.72 after 72 hands.

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>.

Flop: (9.00 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (6.00 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (12.00 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero ???

After SB check-raise on the turn when the 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif hits, I'm not too thrilled about hitting a set on the river. I don't think I will get an overcall from CO as he probably missed his draw.

With 13BB up for grabs, folding is out of the question. Am I ahead here enough to raise? What range of hands do you put SB on?

POKhER
10-19-2005, 02:30 PM
C/c flop,
C/c turn,
call river and cry.

numeri
10-19-2005, 02:37 PM
I just call this river. The turn C/R looks scary enough to mean the other 4, though it could certainly be other hands. I'm a bit curious about pre-flop, though. I'll only raise this if I think CO and Button will fold - I don't want people yet to act with my weak A and flush draw.

TripleH68
10-19-2005, 02:38 PM
You have trips, not a set.

The only reasonable hands that beat you are 55,K4,Q4,54. An overcall from CO seems unlikely, easy river raise. Heck, CO may call anyway.
Surely noone is putting you on a 4 or KK or QQ.

I would consider checking the turn.

RandBriscoe
10-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Betting the flop is fine. Check-call the turn. I don't raise the river. SB raised the turn 4, so pretty decent chance the river filled him up. Let CO overcall with his shite King.

FWIW, I raise pf too.

cold_cash
10-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I like the flop.

I would check/call the turn. It's unlikely your 4's are good and I doubt you're going to get both opponents to fold anywhere near often enough.

I would raise the river.

SoftcoreRevolt
10-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Check the turn, your equity edge isn't big enough here, and raise the river. That check raise is scary since it will be a slowplayed set a good deal of the time which makes a boat on the river, but your trips will be good here more than 55% of the time.

Koss
10-19-2005, 02:50 PM
KQ is a common cold calling hand that fits the bill here. 3-bet.

TripleH68
10-19-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That check raise is scary since it will be a slowplayed set a good deal of the time...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't we come close to ruling out KK/QQ here, which leaves only 55/44?

car ramrod
10-19-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the flop.

I would check/call the turn. It's unlikely your 4's are good and I doubt you're going to get both opponents to fold anywhere near often enough.

I would raise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: you have trips, not a set /images/graemlins/grin.gif

2+2 Junkie
10-19-2005, 03:26 PM
I would call here, I don't think that when he check raises the 4 that it improves you much on the river, but I don't fold trips either. Call here.

kiemo
10-19-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Can't we come close to ruling out KK/QQ here, which leaves only 55/44?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we can 100% rule out 44!

Duerig
10-19-2005, 07:32 PM
I think this is a good place to call the river. If you raise, CO will probably fold unless he has you beat. That means your best case scenario is that CO folds, SB calls and you win 1 extra BB. If you call on the other hand, you encourage CO to call behind you, which nets you the same BB but without the risk of being 3bet.

Shillx
10-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Raise. We have 70% equity against his range if the worst hand he can have is Queens and Fives. It is even greater if he can have AA or AK or whatever.

Brad

aK13
10-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Raise, and I don't think it's close.

CourtJester
10-19-2005, 08:32 PM
Bet, bet, and then raise, and feel good about every street

shadow29
10-19-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the flop.

I would raise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, and it's not close (except for perhaps the turn, depending on reads). But Flop and River aren't close.

Buckmulligan
10-19-2005, 09:06 PM
dont be a vagina. cap this river if given the chance. whats he got, 55? I would go the distance with this one

ninjaunderwear
10-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Pre-flop, anybody else not raise this pre-flop? I think it's too strong to fold, and I don't much like open-limping in MP3.

Bet on the flop is for value, anybody have a strong case for check/call here?

I'm not a big fan of check/call on the turn when flopping/chasing a flush draw after raising pre-flop. But, maybe some would consider that spewing. I feel that I have to bet the turn at least 80% of the time, otherwise my flush draw betting pattern becomes apparent to any mildly observant player. Betting also helps to disguise a made hand in the future on a similar flop situation.

When I SB check-raised the turn after calling the flop, I immediately thought he had flopped a K or Q with a weak kicker and could now spring to life after two-pairing on the turn. Clearly, if that were the case, the river card spells trouble for me, drowning in the river whilst my opponent sails off in his boat.

Perhaps someone could expand a little bit on why it is better to check/call the turn.

Also, I'd always been under the impression that set and trips are to be used interchangeably, but apparently not. If I understand correctly, trips = "three of a kind" and set = "trips made with a pocket pair"?

cold_cash
10-20-2005, 02:47 AM
I think you need to checkraise the turn more often.

[ QUOTE ]
trips = "three of a kind" and set = "trips made with a pocket pair"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

You hold 77 and the board is KJ7. You have a set of 7's.

You hold A7 and the board is K77. You have trip 7's.

ninjaunderwear
10-20-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to checkraise the turn more often.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think CO bets turn if I check. [Maybe that's a good thing?]

cold_cash
10-20-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a big fan of check/call on the turn when flopping/chasing a flush draw after raising pre-flop. But, maybe some would consider that spewing. I feel that I have to bet the turn at least 80% of the time, otherwise my flush draw betting pattern becomes apparent to any mildly observant player. Betting also helps to disguise a made hand in the future on a similar flop situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean in this hand, I mean with your made hands.