PDA

View Full Version : Fish Question

D.J.
06-03-2003, 05:05 PM
I've heard this discussed a few times before, but never really understood the concept. What's the advantage of chopping or not chopping in timed games or raked games? I'm just asking b/c there are a lot of people that do chop and also, lots that don't, I just wanted to know why a person would not want to chop and is that an advantage.

-D.J.

Barry
06-03-2003, 05:32 PM
The advantage in choppping is related to raked games. If the blinds chop, the house doesn't take a rake. When there is a flop, the house normally rakes $2. So between 2 random hands you're 50/50, so playing on is a negative EV play. I always chop unless the table is shorthanded. (5 or less)

The ones that don't chop usually are the ones that come to gamble and are also usually are the ones that like to post straddles as well. I do know of a few folks that, at least think they are good heads up and they don't chop because they think that they can outplay their opponents post flop and make it positive EV for them.

J.A.Sucker
06-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Chopping is best in raked games, and in games where they have no flop, no drop policies. In time collection games or button collection games where they drop it regardless of the action, then chopping/not chopping becomes a decision made by the player. Some people like to chop because it makes for a friendlier game. I personally don't chop for 2 reasons:

1. I play well shorthanded, and get higher EV out of playing the hand out than I do chopping.

2. I have seen too many disputes about some dude who chops when he has garbage, but then he picks up AA and doesn't want to chop.

Thus, I tell everyone that I play with early on that I don't chop. They never seem to mind. In a raked game, then chopping may make more sense.

These are just my opinions, but I'm Just Another Sucker.