PDA

View Full Version : Set of 9s on turn - First HH on Mid High

inyaface
10-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Hey guys,
This is my first post on mid high. I started playing lower NL cash games about a year ago and switched over to SNGS for the summer and started getting a bit bored so I moved back to NL cash games.

Anways my read on manosky is he a medicore player, a bit weak and a bit loose. There has been a few times when I have bet the flop and checked the turn and he has followed up with a bet.

RossMD is new to the table and I have no real reads yet. Seems to be Ok.

PokerStars Game #2840996725: Hold'em No Limit ($2/$4) - 2005/10/19 - 12:32:15 (ET)
Table 'Sorga' Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: BirdBoy100 ($586.35 in chips)
Seat 2: manosky ($171.35 in chips)
Seat 3: sanfran1283 ($453.45 in chips)
Seat 5: RossMD ($314.95 in chips)
Seat 6: HERO ($547.90 in chips)
RossMD: posts small blind $2
goleafsgo41: posts big blind $4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [9c 9h]
BirdBoy100: folds
manosky: calls $4
sanfran1283: folds
RossMD: calls $2
HERO: checks
*** FLOP *** [3h Kd 9d]
RossMD: checks
HERO: bets $8
manosky: calls $8
RossMD: calls $8
*** TURN *** [3h Kd 9d] [2h]
RossMD: checks
HERO: checks
manosky: bets $8
RossMD: raises $16 to $24
HERO ?

I appriciate any preflop/flop/turn advice but also wondering about what line is the best after the bet and raise on the turn?

FatalError
10-19-2005, 12:47 PM
raise preflop
bet more on the flop
lead the turn

you're giving away alot of value by making your hand transparent by checkraising a bettor and raiser on the turn

spoohunter
10-19-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop
bet more on the flop
lead the turn

you're giving away alot of value by making your hand transparent by checkraising a bettor and raiser on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop bet is fine. I check here preflop a good % of the time as well.

9cao
10-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Checking is ok pre-flop but so is betting.

I like the flop bet.

I think a case can be made for making a big bet on the turn but the way it was played I think you have to raise. You clearly define that you have a huge hand but there are some draws out there and it looks like RossMD has set/2-pair and you can win a big pot. I say make it $70 to go.

inyaface
10-19-2005, 01:25 PM
A bit more on my thoughts on the hand. I figured that manosky would bet the turn since he had been doing this a few times when checked to. I figured that RossMD was a non-factor with maybe weak TP or MP and maybe a draw. My plans were to check call assuming that RossMD folded and check raise to shut out a draw if he called. Obviously when he reraised this changed my plans a bit.

psuasskicker
10-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I usually bet at least pot size on the flop, but not necessary.

This pot seems pretty small. If you're gonna get involved with anything, I think a PFR is definitely called for. You can't get a big pot going like this unless someone else flops something huge.

But whatever. I think you've gotta raise on the turn, but you should have bet out. A cr on the flop and lead on the turn is better than lead the flop and cr the turn. No one's representing any sort of hand on the flop, and the pot is small so it's a huge stretch to assume that turn will get bet.

The bet and raise is an ideal situation for you. Someone here's representing a big hand. Pound them for it. Unfortunately though you've told everyone by this action you've got a monster. So this may be all you win.

Which is why I like the cr on the flop and lead on turn better.

- C -

bigt439
10-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Preflop can go either way, but if manosky is a calling station on the flop and fires the turn behind you, it could be a little annoying playing this as the original raiser out of position. So rapping is fine.

The flop is fine too, I really think you should bet the whole pot though. I know it's only a difference of $4, but this is amplified through the two other streets, so I think it makes a difference, if not in this hand, then in other similar ones where you're trying to build a pot.

I don't really like the turn on this hand. If you've been check folding to this guy on the turn and then all of a sudden you check-raise him he's really going to smell a rat. If you just keep leading he'll likely call you (these guys have at least something) and he or the other guy may be strong enough to raise you. In my opinion a check raise just looks way too strong, although potentially snaring the sb in the middle is nice for dead money purposes (although it does make it look even scarier). I really think that especially with the draw out (and the risk that the turn gets checked through) combined with your desire to build a pot leading for the pot on the turn is far superior to a check raise.

As it stands, raise pot, but you're not leaving much to the imagination.