PDA

View Full Version : beginer`s question. call here?

10-19-2005, 12:18 PM
hi all,
i am relativly new to poker and i really enjoy playing SNG, but i am not sure how to play in some situations.
for example:

only 3 players are left and the blinds are really high at 500/1000

i am on the BB (5000chips)
UTG is all-in 2700
SB folds

so the pot is 4200
and i can call for 1700 chips

should i call with K 4?

or even call with weaker hands like Q 6 or J/10 ?

if i win i got 8200 chips (big chance to finish first)
and if i lose i would have 2300 chips left (still got the chance to finish better than 3rd)

give me some advice please. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

can i find some guidlines online wich cards to play?
position, chipstack and blinds should be included

pooh74
10-19-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hi all,
i am relativly new to poker and i really enjoy playing SNG, but i am not sure how to play in some situations.
for example:

only 3 players are left and the blinds are really high at 500/1000

i am on the BB (5000chips)
UTG is all-in 2700
SB folds

so the pot is 4200
and i can call for 1700 chips

should i call with K 4?

or even call with weaker hands like Q 6 or J/10 ?

if i win i got 8200 chips (big chance to finish first)
and if i lose i would have 2300 chips left (still got the chance to finish better than 3rd)

give me some advice please. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think he is pushing almost any 2, which he most certainly is, then calling here is fine. With blinds this high there is almost no wrong answer. You are getting such a huge overlay, plus UTG is about lose over a 3rd of his stack on the next hand...these two factors combine to make for a call. with blinds this high you cannot just steal anymore so making +EV calls is huge.

BTW, how much does SB have left? Not that it is a huge factor but it might be (i.e. If he had 1000 in chips I might fold here and push the next hand if he folded)

bluefeet
10-19-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tomcat, welcome.

Today's your lucky day, there IS such a guidline: sng power tools (http://sitngo-analyzer.com/)

Basically, it answers a math question - which is what you're asking. "How will my equity be effected by calling with this hand, when I think UTG is pushing with 'x'?". Unfortunately, you didn't include enough information to run this through...and I suck at math (thus my purchase of the tool). There are "ICM" links in this forum's FAQ that I'm assuming could guide you through the math involved.

For an example, I made some tweaks to your scenario, and some assumptions as well:

-PokerStars $55+5 turbo
-Blinds 400/800 w/50 Ante

BB - t5000 (hero)
SB - t5800
UTG - t2700

Putting UTG on a push range including "22+,A2+,K2+,Q2s+,Q6o+,J7s+,J9o+,T8s+,98s" [though I suspect he's pushing much more]

...it is +EV for you to call with: "22+,A2+,K2+,Q8o+,Q3s+,J9o+,J7s+,T9o,T6s+,96s+,85s+ ,75s+,65s"

Your K4o in this scenario is clearly a +EV call. If we make the blinds 600/1200, you are calling with ANY TWO CARDS.

Instinctively recognizing +EV pushing/calling opportunities is challenging for all of us starting out. Perform 'subject only' searches within this forum for "+ICM", "+bubble", "+call", "+push", etc. Learn the math, or purchase the tool. While neither will assist in live, game time decisions, this information will vastly improve your ability to see the light through repetititive practice/analysis.

10-19-2005, 01:22 PM
thank you for the answeres

the sb had something like 4000

i am not too sure about it

pooh74
10-19-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thank you for the answeres

the sb had something like 4000

i am not too sure about it

[/ QUOTE ]

easy call then...(and in most cases otherwise as well, in fact, there might not be a scenario where SB's stack size would affect my decision THAT MUCH)