PDA

View Full Version : southern style sides

StevieG
10-19-2005, 11:04 AM
My plan is to slow cook ribs for dinner tonight. I am planning to make cornbread as a side dish.

Any other suggestions for easy to make southern style side dishes?

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Garlic Cheese Grits

gcoutu
10-19-2005, 11:16 AM
fried okra, creamed corn

StevieG
10-19-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Garlic Cheese Grits

[/ QUOTE ]

that sounds interesting - recipe?

samjjones
10-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Maybe baked beans with bacon/brown sugar?

vulturesrow
10-19-2005, 11:18 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
My plan is to slow cook ribs for dinner tonight. I am planning to make cornbread as a side dish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Green beans cooked with fatback and onions
Greens, take your choice of mustard, collard, etc. Make sure you have a good pepper sauce to go with them.
Fried okra (I despise this stuff, but its an authentic southern side dish)
Black eyed peas maybe, but thats more of a fried chicken side in my opinion.
If you are feeling really adventurous, chitlins, again, not so good with ribs.

SL__72
10-19-2005, 11:18 AM
BBQ baked beans. Corn on the cob.

vulturesrow
10-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Maybe baked beans with bacon/brown sugar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that definitely shouldve been on my list. My wife has an awesome recipe for those. Im still waiting for Blarg to visit Virginia Beach so he can have that southern style meal I promised him. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Garlic Cheese Grits

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Garlic Cheese Grits

6 cups cold water
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 1/2 cups hominy grits
1 tablespoon chopped yellow onion
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated or cut into small cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Bring water to a boil. Add grits and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes. Remove from heat,add all other ingredients, and put into oiled casserole pan. Bake covered for about 45 minutes, stirring midway.

Reqtech
10-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Pinto beans. If you're havin corn bread (and I hope it's baked in an iron skillet, otherwise it's just an imposter), it's a no brainer.

bozlax
10-19-2005, 11:22 AM
cole slaw
boston baked beans
hoppin' john (black-eyed peas and rice...better with ham than ribs, tho)

vulturesrow
10-19-2005, 11:23 AM
If you're havin corn bread (and I hope it's baked in an iron skillet, otherwise it's just an imposter)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

samjjones
10-19-2005, 11:37 AM
While we are on the topic of ribs, its a given that "smoking" is the best technique for preparing ribs. But does anybody else slow cook them in the oven, and then finish them off on the grill? I've been using this technique for about a year, and it is excellent. The night before, I cut a rack in half, put on the dry rub, and a little bit of BBQ sauce, and then place into a foil packet to marinade overnight (5 minutes to do). Next day, put the foil packet in a low oven (250 tops) for 2 1/2 hours. When time is up, remove ribs from packet and place on grill for 10-15 minutes, applying BBQ sauce liberally, and allow to carmelize. The resulting meat is so tender it falls off the bone. Really excellent, incredibly easy, and foolproof.

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
While we are on the topic of ribs, its a given that "smoking" is the only technique for preparing ribs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rest of this was all so blasphemous i refuse to quote it. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

StevieG
10-19-2005, 11:40 AM
OOT is teh great help

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

also sounds really good. Can I use a hamhock? Instructions?

4_2_it
10-19-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm hungry just thinking about this. Go with with either black-eyed peas or baked beans. Pass on corn on the cob if you are already serving corn bread.

Okra or collard greens are true Southern delicacies that are great if done right (Yes, I know many consider them an 'acquired' taste.)

For dessert, how about a change of pace with a Kentucky Derby Pie.

Benholio
10-19-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OOT is teh great help

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes a hamhock would work well.

Has anyone mentioned mac 'n' cheese yet?

StevieG
10-19-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cool. How does this recipe (http://horseracing.about.com/od/triplecrown2000/r/kdpie.htm) look?

vulturesrow
10-19-2005, 11:57 AM
OOT is teh great help

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A hamhock is an acceptable substitute. I can get you a recipe when I get home if you can wait. In the meantime, why dont you google "southern style green beans" or something to that effect? I will say that if you are doing ribs the baked beans are damn near required.

Shajen
10-19-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While we are on the topic of ribs, its a given that "smoking" is the best technique for preparing ribs. But does anybody else slow cook them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, yeah I do.

Don't have a smoker. And obviously, this is the way to go if you don't have a smoker. They turn out pretty damned good.

M2d
10-19-2005, 12:47 PM
last thanksgiving I made a bacon jalapeno cornbread that would have been great with some ribs.

Boris
10-19-2005, 12:51 PM
a couple green beans and a stick of butter.

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a couple green beans and a stick of butter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Add some thyme and a pinch of brown sugar to that and you're in business...and I don't even like green beans.

peachy
10-19-2005, 01:45 PM
mashed potatoes with gravy
cheese grits
do sweet cornbread instead
baked beans
creamed corn or corn on the cob
cole slaw
turnip greens
green beans with sweet ham
sweet potatoe caserole with sweetner (various ways)

if i think of more ill let u know...

vulturesrow
10-19-2005, 01:50 PM
sweet potatoe [sic] caserole[sic] with sweetner[sic] (various ways)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good one peachy. I have a good recipe for this as well if the OP is interested.

10-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Whatever it is, make sure it's not fried chicken or collard greens.

samjjones
10-19-2005, 02:06 PM
vn

kyro
10-19-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good one peachy. I have a good recipe for this as well if the OP is interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you subtlely insulted her while giving her a compliment.

CollinEstes
10-19-2005, 02:15 PM
THE ULTIMATE SOUTHERN SIDE:

BBQ NACHOS

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_27732,00.html

Doubt you have time for those but damn they are good.

Check this out

http://images.scrippsweb.com/FOOD/2004/07/09/bq1a07_bbq_nachos3_e.jpg

4_2_it
10-19-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cool. How does this recipe (http://horseracing.about.com/od/triplecrown2000/r/kdpie.htm) look?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go with it.

10-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Smoking ribs is pointless - they should be braised in the oven with some kind of acidic solution. No amount of dry heat (ie smoking) will break down the massive amounts of connective tissue that are in ribs. As far as sides - coleslaw (and not that silly creamy stuff).. sweet potato salad.

dry rub over night
braised low and slow in tinfoil with a solution of orange juice/margarita mix
use the leftover juices to make your bbq sauce
broil in your oven with the bbq sauce to get that perfect mahogany glaze

I use Alton Brown's recipe. Oh, and he's southern.

No-Backyard Baby Back Ribs - by Alton Brown

Software:
1 full rack/slab baby back ribs
kosher salt
shake number 9 (listed below)
1/2 cup orange juice (not fresh squeezed)
1/2 cup prepared Margarita mix
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp espresso powder or instant coffee (freeze dried)
1/8 tsp ground cayenne
Hardware:
paper towels
extra wide, heavy-duty aluminum foil
shallow roasting pan
saucier
kitchen shears (eh.. not really needed in my opinion)
broiler pan

ok.. the dish on the shake:
for 1 rack of ribs - a total of 1/2 to 3/4 cup will suffice - I think
we used 1/4 cup for each 'part'.
5 parts brown sugar
3 parts chile powder
1 part garlic powder
1/2 part ground thyme
1/4 part cayenne
1/4 part allspice

rince the ribs and pat dry with paper towels. Place on a sheet of
extra-wide, heavy duty sluminum foil. Season liberally on both sides
with salt and shake no. 9. Turn the ribs mead-side-down and tightly
seal. Place hte packet in the roastintg pan and refrigerate for 6-12
hours (overnight) turning the packet over once. Preheat oven to 350
degrees. Remove the packet from the fridge and unroll one end, pour
the orange juice and Margarita mix into the packet. see-saw it back
n' forth to evenly distribute liquid.
return the packet to the pan and place in the middle of the oven.
After 1 hour, reduce to 250 degrees and cook for another 2 hours.
[ed. oh god, the smells that come will make you want to pull your hair
out until you get your teeth into them.]

remove the pan from the oven, unroll one end and pour out all the
juices into a saucepan. add the honey, ketchup, worcestershire sauce,
espresso powder, and cayenne.. [ed. there's a LOT of liquid.. so crank
up the heat and keep stirring] Bring mixture to a boil, whisking
until reduced toa glaze that coats a spoon. Remove the pan from heat.
Move oven rack to the next-to-the-top position and turn on the broiler.
Remove the slab from the foil packet and put them on the broiling
pan, meat side up, brush with the glaze... broil about 2-3 minutes...
until the glaze dries up, essentially.. repeat a couple more times
until the ribs are a dark mahogany... one last time on the other side,
and you're set to go. Let the ribs rest a couple minutes at room
temp...

imported_anacardo
10-19-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OOT is teh great help

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes a hamhock would work well.

Has anyone mentioned mac 'n' cheese yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I demand that macaroni and cheese enter this conversation.

(Flour-and-butter roux. Don't forget the dry mustard.)

Jeebus
10-19-2005, 02:26 PM
I like your idea, but I like to fniish them on a fire. Use a small pan and make a layer of ribs over a grill full of coals. Let the ribs sit and biol in the fat that collects.

10-19-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like your idea, but I like to fniish them on a fire. Use a small pan and make a layer of ribs over a grill full of coals. Let the ribs sit and biol in the fat that collects.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd imagine you could finish 'em off on a hot grill - douse 'em in the bbq sauce over coals. That would be alright.

but.. I'm not sure what the point would be to cook them in their own fat - in a pan. I mean, charcoal adds flavor - so I think the pan defeats the purpose.

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Smoking ribs is pointless

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you're beyond help.

10-19-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Smoking ribs is pointless

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you're beyond help.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha.. smoking adds a tiny amount of flavor - but does not deal with the connective tissue issue.

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha.. smoking adds a tiny amount of flavor - but does not deal with the connective tissue issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what you're talking about. I grew up in the BBQ bidness. If you can't get ribs tender by smoking them, you're completely clueless. Also, smoking adds more than "a tiny bit of flavor". If that's what it adds when you do it, then again, you're cluless.

Dominic
10-19-2005, 03:27 PM
fried okra is awesome!

10-19-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what you're talking about. I grew up in the BBQ bidness. If you can't get ribs tender by smoking them, you're completely clueless. Also, smoking adds more than "a tiny bit of flavor". If that's what it adds when you do it, then again, you're cluless.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, you can get ribs 'tender' by smoking them.. but you can't get them to fall off the bone... and I prefer my connective tissue to not be solid when I'm eating it.

Unless you're doing some other prep to the ribs - like using a brine or smoking them in some kind of sauce - then there's no way you can break down that connective tissue. Literally, when I'm done cooking ribs - they fall apart - I have a serious problem taking them from the oven to a plate - because it just falls apart.

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sure, you can get ribs 'tender' by smoking them.. but you can't get them to fall off the bone... and I prefer my connective tissue to not be solid when I'm eating it.

Unless you're doing some other prep to the ribs - like using a brine or smoking them in some kind of sauce - then there's no way you can break down that connective tissue. Literally, when I'm done cooking ribs - they fall apart - I have a serious problem taking them from the oven to a plate - because it just falls apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong, sir.

beernutz
10-19-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thirty seven posts and no one has mentioned fried green tomatoes? Serve them with some homemade remoulade sauce.

On the other hand, check out the 'On the Side' section of the menu at one of the best rib restaurants in the country.
http://www.hogsfly.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=25

imported_anacardo
10-19-2005, 03:37 PM
There's a real macho thing about BBQ places having next to nothing in the way of side dishes, for whatever reason. I say, if you're gonna serve friggin' nachos, I think you can go out on a limb and throw a corn cob on the grill.

Shajen
10-19-2005, 03:38 PM
corn bread

corn on the cob

collared greens

Brunswick Stew

Mac-n-cheese

Those are pretty much the staples of "southern" cooking that I've seen down here in Atlanta.

10-19-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

why am I wrong?

peachy
10-19-2005, 03:41 PM
oooo i cant BELIEVE i forgot brunswick stew!!!!!

and yes mac n cheese BUT only homemade...none of that box crap

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

why am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because what you said is not true. What part didn't you understand. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

10-19-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

why am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because what you said is not true. What part didn't you understand. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ah jake.. I understand that you're an expert in every field.. or at least have some nonsensical thing to say about everything. That's cool. I understand that there's some traditional, macho thing involved in smoking meat, to while away in front of a fire - outside. I understand that.

...and if you want to justify your macho-ness by saying that I'm wrong, and not pointing out any particular flaw in my logic - that's cool, too.

...but you won't be making better ribs than me.

Shajen
10-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Ok, there's only one way to settle this.

Jake, cook me some ribs.

G-Cheese, cook me some ribs.

After I've eaten both, I'll tell you which ones are better.

It's win win baby. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ah jake.. I understand that you're an expert in every field.. or at least have some nonsensical thing to say about everything. That's cool. I understand that there's some traditional, macho thing involved in smoking meat, to while away in front of a fire - outside. I understand that.

...and if you want to justify your macho-ness by saying that I'm wrong, and not pointing out any particular flaw in my logic - that's cool, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'm not an expert in every field. I AM an expert in THIS field. As I said, I grew up in the BBQ bidness. I did point out the flaw prior to your post. The flaw is that if you can't get ribs tender by smoking them then you have no idea what you're doing.

10-19-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'm not an expert in every field. I AM an expert in THIS field. As I said, I grew up in the BBQ bidness. I did point out the flaw prior to your post. The flaw is that if you can't get ribs tender by smoking them then you have no idea what you're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

...but most people don't have a nice, big smoker that can fit a slab of ribs in it, do they? My way, not only makes the meat incredibly tender, and deals with connective tissue - which I'm still not convinced that smoking does... but it's also something that anyone with an oven can do in their own homes. I'm not saying that you can't make good ribs by smoking them, I'm saying that *anyone* can make great ribs by following my simple advice.

10-19-2005, 03:54 PM
come over some time..

I live in Madison, Wisconsin.

Shajen
10-19-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
come over some time..

I live in Madison, Wisconsin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be right there.

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...but most people don't have a nice, big smoker that can fit a slab of ribs in it, do they? My way, not only makes the meat incredibly tender, and deals with connective tissue - which I'm still not convinced that smoking does... but it's also something that anyone with an oven can do in their own homes. I'm not saying that you can't make good ribs by smoking them, I'm saying that *anyone* can make great ribs by following my simple advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're backpedaling...and you should be because you're wrong. Anyone that cares about good ribs has a smoker. They're not expensive and you can get them anywhere. Ribs should taste like they were smoked. Period. You can't get that from adding some crappy fake smoke [censored] to your crappy ketchup-based sauce. And you can't get it from 5 minutes on the grill. If you want good ribs, you have to smoke them.

Shajen
10-19-2005, 03:59 PM
No.

If you want "good" ribs, you can get that on the grill.

If you want "exceptional" ribs, you go with smoke.

that's the difference.

Blarg
10-19-2005, 04:08 PM
I think they should both smoke something right away.

10-19-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're backpedaling...and you should be because you're wrong. Anyone that cares about good ribs has a smoker. They're not expensive and you can get them anywhere. Ribs should taste like they were smoked. Period. You can't get that from adding some crappy fake smoke [censored] to your crappy ketchup-based sauce. And you can't get it from 5 minutes on the grill. If you want good ribs, you have to smoke them.

[/ QUOTE ]

now that's crazy talk. I'm differentiating between good and great. Ribs don't have to taste like they're smoked. period.
..and crappy ketchup based sauce - that's crazy talk as well. The wonderful thing about that sauce that you make with the recipe I provided is all the juices from the ribs are preserved. I don't know much about smoking - but I'd imagine that some of that flavor is going up in smoke. Plus - smoke, really? you like that flavor you get from the resins from wood (or whatever you smoke it in)? Why not just braise it in terpentine?

Why don't you provide your recipe for ribs? You can start a new thread, and see which recipe people like better.

Edge34
10-19-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the OP, but I am. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

StevieG
10-19-2005, 04:17 PM
again, OOT rocks

The Kentucky Derby pie is out of the oven and cooling.

The cheese and garlic grits are in the oven baking.

The green beans are cut, I'll start boiling the ham hock soon for it.

Ironically, I have not made the corn bread yet. But that's fast.

10-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Lawdy, lawdy, lawdy miz Clawdy.

Gentlemen, and ladies, I can not tell you how suh-prized ah ayam!

Not only at the number of you beer-swillin', wimmin'-chasin' neer'do wells who cook, but the amount of interest in Suth-run dee-lites!

I cook, but I do not claim to be A Cook. Southern food is A True Love of my life. Greek and Italian are immediately behind.

I've got a few links some of you may or may not be interested in.

http://www.chefrick.com/

http://www.georgiagrits.net/

http://www.angelfire.com/on/VideoPhotoAlbum/Recipes.html

http://www.southernfoodabout.com/library/weekly/aa102800a.html

http://www.bama.ua.edu/~bgray/recipes.htm

http://www.culinary.chef2chef.net/Cooking/World_Cuisines/North_American/Southern/

http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/southern_cooking

http://www.goldpills.net/southern-cooking-recipes/southern-cooking-recipes.html

http://www.southernfood.about.com/

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/mainstreet/beans/

http://www.catfishinstitute.com/

And then there’s always….

Google Search: southern cooking recipes

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

imported_anacardo
10-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Any time I can make the least contribution to a journey this epic, I feel satisfied.

StevieG
10-19-2005, 07:32 PM
So I made the ribs, cornbread (impostor version, no iron skillet), green beans cooked with ham hock, garlic cheese grits, and Kentucky Derby pie.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2783/southerndishes20zt.jpg

Everything was a big hit with Mrs.StevieG and the in-laws. Thanks to jakethebake, vulturesrow, 4_2_it, and everyone else that made suggestions. The mac and cheese will just have to wait for another time.

vulturesrow
10-19-2005, 10:24 PM
So I made the ribs, cornbread (impostor version, no iron skillet), green beans cooked with ham hock, garlic cheese grits, and Kentucky Derby pie.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2783/southerndishes20zt.jpg

Everything was a big hit with Mrs.StevieG and the in-laws. Thanks to jakethebake, vulturesrow, 4_2_it, and everyone else that made suggestions. The mac and cheese will just have to wait for another time.

[/ QUOTE ]

StevieG,

Glad I could help you score some brownie points with the missus and her family /images/graemlins/smile.gif The whole thread got me craving some good Southern cooking so I was pleasantly surprised to find that my wife was making fried chicken, baked beans, and green beans tonight.

PS Please tell me you served sweet iced tea with dinner...

Talk2BigSteve
10-19-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Garlic Cheese Grits

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Garlic Cheese Grits

6 cups cold water
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 1/2 cups hominy grits
1 tablespoon chopped yellow onion
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated or cut into small cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Bring water to a boil. Add grits and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes. Remove from heat,add all other ingredients, and put into oiled casserole pan. Bake covered for about 45 minutes, stirring midway.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG I make them that exact way!

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

imported_anacardo
10-19-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS Please tell me you served sweet iced tea with dinner..

[/ QUOTE ]

In Texas, we do not recognize this as necessary, or even particularly desirable.

vulturesrow
10-19-2005, 11:43 PM
PS Please tell me you served sweet iced tea with dinner..

[/ QUOTE ]

In Texas, we do not recognize this as necessary, or even particularly desirable.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

imported_anacardo
10-19-2005, 11:47 PM
The sweetness, I mean. Me and mine frown on sugared tea. I'm not really sure what the majority Texas position is; probably depends on region.

StevieG
10-19-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to disappoint - sweet tea would have been a good call. That's Yuengling lager on the table.

vulturesrow
10-20-2005, 01:37 AM
The sweetness, I mean. Me and mine frown on sugared tea. I'm not really sure what the majority Texas position is; probably depends on region.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, well sweet tea is pretty standard Southern fare.

vulturesrow
10-20-2005, 01:38 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to disappoint - sweet tea would have been a good call. That's Yuengling lager on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuengling is a pretty good pairing with the ribs I think.