PDA

View Full Version : About posting hands that other 2+2ers play

JTG51
06-03-2003, 02:55 PM
Hopefully Wrong Forum Man won't bother me about this post.

Every so often I see a post saying something like, "Fellow 2+2er so and so played this hand..." or "I played this hand with 2+2er so and so...".

Does anyone else think this is a bad idea? I wouldn't have a problem is the posts said, "A 2+2er who's name I'm not going to give...". I'm not sure I like the idea of identifying people by name though. I've only posted a couple of hands that 2+2ers played, and I always left their name out so they could decide if they wanted to join in.

I don't feel especially strongly about this, I'm sure I can be convinced either way with a good argument. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Joe Tall
06-03-2003, 03:05 PM
I think it's common courtesy that the other 2+2er should have to give consent first via PM or email, then, if agreed upon, names revealed. Or posted as just a generic '2+2er', as you have, then if they wanted to reveal, they could. I also believe you could post this in...ahem, excuse me... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

SossMan
06-03-2003, 03:11 PM
If other 2+2ers didn't want anyone to know how they play their hands, why would they post here??

Barry
06-03-2003, 03:18 PM
This is a good question.

My thinking is that if we believed that the 2+2'er played badly, I'd leave the name out as a courtesy to him/her and then let them pipe in to defend themselves. A while back after playing a hand with a 2+2'er; who I thought played it badly, we actually talked about posting the hand. So with "prior consent" it's OK by me.

I did post 1 hand that I played against Homer on line, in which I thought that he played well and I wondered about my play. I thought that that would be OK, but I'd be interested if Homer (or anybody else) is troubled by that.

While no one has every mentioned me by name in a hand post (at least that I can remember), I am thick skinned enough; and know that I still have much to learn that I wouldn't be bothered by it. It would be a nice touch by the other 2+2'er to ask first though.

JTG51
06-03-2003, 03:26 PM
I think that's a silly argument. I welcome any and all discussion of hands that I post, that doesn't mean I want every hand I play to be discussed.

I'm not convinced yet. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

rigoletto
06-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Is it needed to name the 2+2'er in order to post the hand! Well there you go!

Homer
06-03-2003, 04:00 PM
I don't consider it to be in bad taste, unless the other player obviously played the hand poorly. I recently posted a hand I played against fellow 2+2er SunTzu, and I mentioned him by name. I think this was acceptable because he played his hand well, so there is no way he could become embarassed.

I suppose it is unnecessary to mention an opponent by name (we could simply say "fellow 2+2er"), but it makes it more fun for those who are analyzing the hand, because they have knowledge of the playing style of both posters.

-- Homer

Homer
06-03-2003, 04:02 PM
I have no problem with anyone posting a hand he played against me, whether I played poorly or not. Feedback is always good... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-- Homer

dirty_dan
06-03-2003, 04:06 PM
If anyone ever wants to post a hand in which I played well, please forward me a copy. I'll want to get it framed.

JTG51
06-03-2003, 04:07 PM
...but it makes it more fun for those who are analyzing the hand, because they have knowledge of the playing style of both posters.

That's a good point, one that I hadn't though of.

Homer
06-03-2003, 04:31 PM
No way I'm forwarding you a copy....it might be worth good money some day!

-- Homer

dirty_dan
06-03-2003, 05:10 PM
What do you mean some day? My hands are worth money every day... usually to my opponents.

SoBeDude
06-03-2003, 05:55 PM
I think we can use our judgement as to when to mention a name and when not.

Recently I posted a hand that I played with Rigoletto. I mentioned to him about posting it and he told me to go ahead. When I asked about mentioning him by name he said he'd leave it up to me. I choose not to because he played poorly (and out of position).

But he 'fessed up anyway and admitted it was he. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

As far as I'm concerned, please post every hand you all think I played like crap.

I'll post my brilliant ones without your help! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Scott