PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle a crying stranger you unintentionally interrupted?

diebitter
10-19-2005, 05:50 AM
This is bothering me, and I'd like a line on it.

I went to the train station 2 days ago, and walked into a waiting room and interrupted a young lady crying to herself - just me and her.

I did my best here - and I think I helped a little. I sat away from her, and stayed still. I asked if she was okay and asked if I could get anything for her, and she said she was okay.

I said if she'd like to talk to someone, I could be a good listener, and she said no.

I said 'stuff just happens, huh?', and she smiled a bit and said, 'yeah, stuff happens'.

We sat there for about 5 minutes, just quiet, and she stopped crying and composed herself, and her train came, and she left, and she said goodbye.

I said 'take care now', and she smiled, and said 'yeah, you take care too'.

Was I doing okay here? I feel bad about it - sometimes I feel I should have left her alone, sometimes I feel I did fine cos I at least showed concern to someone probably feeling pretty isolated, and sometimes I feel I should have tried harder to get her to open up a bit, and maybe I woulda helped better...

Did I do okay? How would you handle this differently?

NLSoldier
10-19-2005, 05:54 AM
I think you played it perfect.

jason_t
10-19-2005, 05:55 AM
I think you played it perfectly.

Exitonly
10-19-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Leaving her alone would have just probably made it worse, you did good.

Crimson
10-19-2005, 05:56 AM
Was she cute?

diebitter
10-19-2005, 06:00 AM
Thanks guys. You've helped settle my mind on this, I appreciate that.

I just hope she's okay.

Klepton
10-19-2005, 06:03 AM
at some point while talking to her you should have unbuckled your belt, just to see the reaction.

Matt Williams
10-19-2005, 06:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
at some point while talking to her you should have unbuckled your belt, and said, "I'll give you something to cry about." just to see the reaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

10-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Yeah you definitely should have dawbed away her tears with your scrotum.

Vavavoom
10-19-2005, 07:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tek
10-19-2005, 09:33 AM
I'd have folded preflop. The last thing one needs is to have someone else come by and think you hit her and call 911.

If it's not a real emergency I say keep walking.

4_2_it
10-19-2005, 09:38 AM
NH

mslif
10-19-2005, 09:39 AM
You acted very appropriately given the situation.

miajag81
10-19-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lazymeatball
10-19-2005, 09:43 AM
You should have made it obvious that you were aware of her condition and either didn't care or were somewhat bothered by it. This should have forced her to stop crying either through shame or awkwardness. Contrary to popular belief, sometimes it isn't better to 'let it all out.'

woodguy
10-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Perfect.

http://eur.yimg.com/i/xp/premier_photo/3/382685cfc7.jpg

Warik
10-19-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this thread is worthless without pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

asofel
10-19-2005, 10:35 AM
yep...pretty much perfect. ni han

Los Feliz Slim
10-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Personally, I go as far as asking if she needs help or anything, but not as far as offering to listen etc. But that's me, for you it sounds like you played it fine.

tonypaladino
10-19-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter666
10-19-2005, 11:49 AM
You should have taken advantage of her emotional distress. Without banging her in the end, this story is useless.

danzasmack
10-19-2005, 11:53 AM
One sunday night, around 9pm I was walking out of my building to go get some food. As I walked out, I saw a large woman crying face down in the street and a skinny man standing over her. She was screaming "get off me!" I asked her if she needed some help and the guy told me to [censored] off and started screaming at me.

In a calm manner, I simply replied I was going to call the cops. I went back in, called the cops, and told the man the police were on their way. The woman seemed thankful and she got up and started walking towards the building, away from the man.

Weird thing was that when the cops got there, they tried to get away. wtf?

diebitter
10-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I have no idea how to handle couples in this situation, so I got off light.

Again, thanks all you guys that helped me get a line on this. You can stop now.

Tards can carry on - you amuse me.

LeatherFace
10-19-2005, 12:35 PM
What would you have done if it was a man crying instead of a woman?

diebitter
10-19-2005, 01:30 PM
I don't know for sure. You never do know for sure with emotional stuff, until you actually get there.

I think I would, but I'd also offer to leave as well as stay and listen. If I were crying in public and another guy offered some help or something, I'd rather be left alone, I'd reckon. I think offering to leave to a woman would be a bit hurtful.

That's what I'd do - don't know if it's right, but that's what I'd do, as you're asking.

arod15
10-19-2005, 01:32 PM
You did fine, and silence is not a bad thing....

M2d
10-19-2005, 01:33 PM
tell him to grow a set?

tek
10-19-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cops would rather handle an armed bank robber on crack than a domestic dispute. A couple fighting is just -EV...

jakethebake
10-19-2005, 01:36 PM
She was clearly hysterical. I'm pretty sure you were supposed to slap her.

Aloysius
10-19-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I go as far as asking if she needs help or anything, but not as far as offering to listen etc. But that's me, for you it sounds like you played it fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would've been my play before reading this post. Unless she's a complete loon, I now see that offering to listen is both gentlemanly and may result in banging her later on.

Well played.

stabn
10-19-2005, 01:48 PM
You did far better than i would have. Well done.

imported_The Vibesman
10-19-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She was clearly hysterical. I'm pretty sure you were supposed to slap her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Try to get in a "What the Hell's the matter with you anyway?"

FouTight
10-19-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One sunday night, around 9pm I was walking out of my building to go get some food. As I walked out, I saw a large woman crying face down in the street and a skinny man standing over her. She was screaming "get off me!" I asked her if she needed some help and the guy told me to [censored] off and started screaming at me.

In a calm manner, I simply replied I was going to call the cops. I went back in, called the cops, and told the man the police were on their way. The woman seemed thankful and she got up and started walking towards the building, away from the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of this time I was at a bar and drank WAY too much and was throwing up all over the place.

I went out side and sat in the parking lot trying to get some fresh air and collect myself before my ride home, and, this fat girl came up to me out of no where and said "Man, you ain't lookin' so good, here, have a mint"

I apprecaited her kindness, the mint didn't help.

I think in the situation of the OP, you may have done a LITTLE too much, but if so, not by much.