PDA

View Full Version : Truly Blessed : Rambling

GuyOnTilt
10-19-2005, 02:31 AM
Talking with a friend over a v v good ribeye dinner tonight. What is the worst thing that has ever happened to you?

Actually thinking about this made me realize how good of a life I have been blessed to have so far. I really can't think of anything truly bad ever happening to me. I am blessed. And I am grateful. I have kind of realized this I think for a while now, and have tried to bless friends and strangers a like whenever I have the chance, even if it may be in the smallest of ways. But I had never actually thought about this specifically. And now that I have, I am that much more grateful. Every now and then I will have this discussion within myself, and it makes me strive to be that much more selfless and try to put others' needs and luxuries before myself. Every time I watch or read Motorcycle Diaries I have a session of massive self-reflection and get back to grips with reality. Things like donating to charities, supporting poverty stricken families, picking up the check at dinners with friends, taking a panhandler out for lunch and giving them the opportunity to have a real conversation with someone, blessing friends of my parents who I know to be stuggling financial with anonymous grocery store gift cards or whatever, etc.

Just doing things like that that are so easy to not do, but I feel like I should be doing when I really get honest with myself and am able to put my selfishness aside. Like not only "it's a nice thing to do", but something I really SHOULD be doing. I have been blessed in just about every aspect of my life, and it's my goal in life to remain humble and selfless when it comes to things like this. And it's not that I "owe" anybody or everybody in general anything. It's just something I feel I should do.

Anyway, drunken rambling. What's the worst thing that's happened to you?

GoT

GoT

imported_anacardo
10-19-2005, 02:39 AM
Long story short: I loved her, she died, and now I know what it's like to kiss a pink granite stone, in blazing heat, freezing cold, drizzling rain and dead of night.

Nonetheless, if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, then statistically I must consider myself very lucky.

manpower
10-19-2005, 02:47 AM
Life is sweet. I've only got a few broken bones to claim.

balkii
10-19-2005, 03:12 AM
nothing bad ever happened to me and I realized this recently. if anyone ever asks how i'm doing and i'm actually having a real shitty day/week or whatever i respond, "I can't complain."

TheMainEvent
10-19-2005, 03:26 AM
I'd have to say that nothing remarkably bad or good has ever happened to me. I guess I have been avoiding the variance, but I think I would prefer it the other way around.

Exitonly
10-19-2005, 03:43 AM
well my mom developed Glioblastoma Multiforme aka untreatable brain tumor, and in a period of 9 months, went from having nothing wrong (well besides be diabetic) to splitting head aches, a doctor telling her it was just a sinus headache, then the doctors deeciding, oh wait that's a tumor, after 6 months and countless hospital stays (and trips to Johns HOpkins) she's bed ridden in my house, where she'd die shorrtly after meeting up with the rest of my extended family for a thanksgiving dinner (at which she couldnt eat, beecause she had lost any control of her body, she jsut layed motionless).

--

That's the worst thing that's happened to me, and not for the obvious reasons, not the effect it's had on me, i've been able to handle it unnbelievably well, it doesn't bother me.. But what it did to my dad is what was real [censored] up..he completely gave up his life for those 9 months, he was just starrting up a company that needed him incredibly, but he just stopped it to take care of my mom 24/7, it was just amazing to see someone care that much about another person. And for him to have to go through what he did, was just completely not fair.

So yea, the worst thing that's happened to me, was having ot watch my dad lose the person he loved the most, to a terrible tumor that turned her into a vegetable slowly but surely.

---

</end sad story>
-

Anynways, he's coped now and it's made me and him have a better relationship, and now his business is just starrting to become profitable (2.5 years later).

Other than that, i too have had an incredibly blessed life, and it's awesome.

Weatherhead03
10-19-2005, 04:11 AM
Something very similar happened to my family. My dad was a normal healthy guy. Within the course of a year was diagnosed with colitus. After they couldnt cure what had or even control it he fell into a coma 7 months into his illness. About a month into the coma they finally figured out that he did not have colitus at all but some very rare disease that affects your Duodenum (where a major portion of your digestion and absorbtion occurs). His case was the fifth case ever to be recorded in the medical journal. He started to show stages of improvement. He woke from his coma and was talking again after 4 months. On January 6th we got a phone call saying that he had died from cardiac arrest. I guess your heart can only go so fast for so long.

Its funny how your loss affected your family almost the same as mine. Its only been 9 months now so its a little early to tell how everything will turn out...but then again life does go on.

irishpint
10-19-2005, 04:32 AM
i had an interview for dental school late week. they asked me what the biggest challenge i faced was. i couldn't think of anything (i should have said i'm a bad speller).

Vavavoom
10-19-2005, 04:42 AM
Worst thing that ever happened to me was my Grandfather dying. What was worse about it, was that we knew (His children, and me and my brother) his cancer was too far developed to be curable. The last time I saw him was June 10th 2001, just before I went out to resort (I worked abroad as a Holiday Rep)...

Whilst in resort, I got beaten up whilst asleep in bed after some dude thought I was sh*gging his girlfriend (She dumped in resort, extremely long story but I was innocent at the time)...So I took a hiding after he broke into my apartment....I didn't want to tell my parents back home, bu then I got a phonecall 11 days after this from my mum to say that he (my grandfather) had passed away the week before but didn't want to tell me...I got the first plane home for the funeral which happened to be the following day.

...in a way I was glad not to have been there to see his condition deteriorate but it hurt when i left as i knew this was the last time I was going to see him but he didn't know that....

Still hurts......

partygirluk
10-19-2005, 04:45 AM
I think the worst thing that has ever happened to me occured in the 1940s. I have been deprived of a great deal of family.

wacki
10-19-2005, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the worst thing that's happened to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Physically? Reconstructive surgery (plural). I'm still pretty though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Relationship wise? Walking in on her with another man wearing the outfit I just bought her.

Randomly? Dunno, witnessing a murder, witnessing a suicide, getting jumped by thieves and ending up with more broken bones than I care to talk about.... Hard to say what was worse.

To a best friend? T-boned by a drunk driver.... gone. Another best friend is gone for good because he got busted with copious quantities of ganja.

To a lady friend? Getting kidnapped and raped on a aid mission in africa. The local population was 90% HIV+.

I could write more....

Such is life.

wacki
10-19-2005, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the worst thing that has ever happened to me occured in the 1940s. I have been deprived of a great deal of family.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were like 20??
wtf

daryn
10-19-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf

[/ QUOTE ]

think nazis

uw_madtown
10-19-2005, 05:12 AM
The amazing thing is that pretty much anyone with the ability to post on 2+2, no matter how many terrible things that have happened in their life, should find themselves thinking this on occasion. Someone's always had it worse than you, and there's always plenty to be thankful for. Since I can assume none of us are starving in a third world country, I'm sure this is the case.

I would guess that, compared to most of the board, I've had more than my "fair" share of terrible events in my first 22 years of life. We all get caught up in the inane daily stuff--"I lost 50 BB today" or "I failed a test" or "I have so much work to get done in the next few days"-- but when it comes to thinking on your life from the larger view, I definitely find myself thinking how blessed I am than thinking how certain things should have happened differently.

To think otherwise is depressing and almost offensively self-centered. I like to think that most people I know, when it gets down to it, realize how lucky they are. Maybe they don't.

wacki
10-19-2005, 05:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

wtf

[/ QUOTE ]

think nazis

[/ QUOTE ]

I got that. Still, I thought he was still in school.

Richard Tanner
10-19-2005, 05:17 AM
Sorry Wacki, it would seem you've been through hell and "such is life" is modesty of a level I can only hope I would posses.
Sorry for your losses.

Cody

Shillx
10-19-2005, 05:35 AM
I got kinda depressed reading this thread, but I have to say that I feel very blessed for being in the place I am (with a roof, food and clothes). I have no complaints at all as it could be much much worse. I have been very lucky I must say eventhough it might not seem like it. I hope all the rest of you feel the same way.

Brad

Klepton
10-19-2005, 06:02 AM
i learned how to play poker.

Justin A
10-19-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

wtf

[/ QUOTE ]

think nazis

[/ QUOTE ]

I got that. Still, I thought he was still in school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think nazis again, and assume that partygirluk is young.

wacki
10-19-2005, 06:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean before he was born, I get it. Otherwise my comments still stand.

Why is it nobody is getting what I'm trying to say?

daryn
10-19-2005, 06:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean before he was born, I get it. Otherwise my comments still stand.

Why is it nobody is getting what I'm trying to say?

[/ QUOTE ]

everyone gets what you are trying to say. you thought he was 20 (which he is) but then for some reason you thought he was old? then you thought he was in school (which he is) but then it seems you questioned that thought.

wacki
10-19-2005, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but then it seems you questioned that thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh.... I guess when someone says "I've been deprived of a great deal of family" I think brothers, sisters, parents, etc.

I guess I just normally don't equate distant relatives that way. Ok, now I am starting to feel bad.

daryn
10-19-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but then it seems you questioned that thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh.... I guess when someone says "I've been deprived of a great deal of family" I think brothers, sisters, parents, etc.

I guess I just normally don't equate distant relatives that way. Ok, now I am starting to feel bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok but what about uncles, or great uncles, whose kids and so forth and so on would be relatives today?

wacki
10-19-2005, 09:05 AM
We are arguing semantics. If he said great deal of relatives, I wouldn't of been thrown off.

daryn
10-19-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We are arguing semantics. If he said great deal of relatives, I wouldn't of been thrown off.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, i was not aware we were arguing semantics.

family = relatives

DcifrThs
10-19-2005, 09:20 AM
my parents' 6 year long, and continuing battle (divorce).

showed me a side of life and love id rather not have seen. was very ugly at times. not worth reliving at present.

other than that though, im in the same boat as you GoT. i donate to charities since that is the easiest way for me to help out. and it actually started when i was gunna play james HU and he said, "why not donate $500 to charity instead of paying that rake?" i said "hmm, sounds good."

in any case, ive been lucky to travel all over the world and would like to give children the same fortune ive had. so if you hear of or know of a charity that facilitates that let me know.

good post GoT. most of us on this board are quite fortunate.

Barron

mslif
10-19-2005, 10:09 AM
All I have to say is that you are a lucky guy.
I can't even pick what is the worse thing that I ever happened to me, maybe being run over by a car at 16, being drugged at a bar and spending 2 days on life support, family/friends dying, ex-husband cheating...
Damn this thread depresses me.

ChipWrecked
10-19-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i learned how to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, this is among the worst things that ever happened to my wife. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Richard Tanner
10-19-2005, 04:05 PM
"Spending two days on life support"
I hate to pry and feel free to tell me to go [censored] myself, but what drug did they give you arsenic.

Cody

mike l.
10-19-2005, 09:36 PM
"What's the worst thing that's happened to you?"

someone stole my bike.

Clarkmeister
10-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Your baseball team has been truly blessed with umps that seemingly can't make a correct call ever.

wacki
10-19-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

family = relatives

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, this is my last post in response to you in this thread. The people I know use the term relatives to describe extended family. If somebody says family it normally is used to describe immediate family. Yes, I know they are technically the same, but they aren't used that way in everyday context. When people say "I'm going to hang out with the family" vs. "I'm going to hang out with the relatives" it normally means 2 different things. Why you had to make that last post I don't know. It's not like you said anything constructive.

Maybe this is just a regional thing. Kind of like how peachy uses papa for gandfather while nobody I know uses it for anything other than dad.

Sorry for hijaking your thread GoT.

whiskeytown
10-19-2005, 11:47 PM
had my heart broken by my first love.

That was the worst - nothing ever came close to that -

RB

10-19-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your baseball team has been truly blessed with umps that seemingly can't make a correct call ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmiester, please change your avatar back to the two chicks NOW!

[ QUOTE ]
Heart broken by first love

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a pretty low point in my life, other than that I really can't think of anything.

Clarkmeister
10-20-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Clarkmiester, please change your avatar back to the two chicks NOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a lot of requests for it. I'm likely to leave this one for a bit, then go to Chief Illiniwek for the Illinois basketball season. It'll be back eventually.

Voltron87
10-20-2005, 12:03 AM
leave that one for a while, or at least until bball season. that pic of pujols is absolutely [censored] badass.

Clarkmeister
10-20-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
leave that one for a while, or at least until bball season. that pic of pujols is absolutely [censored] badass.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's going nowhere for now. Unlike most on these forums, I don't disappear when my teams lose.

Emmitt2222
10-20-2005, 01:19 AM
I thought this was going to be a music thread by the title.

Anyway, my brother almost died from kidney complications when I was younger but I was so young that it actually didn't hit me too hard. Recently I went through 4 months of back pain and only now have I just found the cure for it. Somehow I have a common problem that almost no spine doctor could determine, even Columbia University, go figure. When I say backpain I mean lots of pain, basically not doing anything at all, including not eating because when you are in pain food isnt really important, so I've lost 15 pounds [150 -> 135, not like I was heavy]. Standing in the middle of your room at 4am because you can't sit or lie down because it hurts too much, while at the same time overexausted from sleeping 4 hours in 3 days you really have nowhere to go but up. It really forced things into perspective. When you have trouble making it from one day to the next and constantly keep telling yourself that you wish you were dead it makes you appreciate your health and your body in general so much. It also made me have much more empathy for old people because I literally walked like them. I must say though that because of my faith it was really a rewarding experience. I have a much richer understanding of others who have and are going through physical pain. I really avoided talking about my pain to anyone for so long because I hate to come off as whining, but I just felt compelled to finally write that out. Hope it isn't seen as complaining, it has been beneficial to my character.

gamblore99
10-20-2005, 02:01 AM
two come to mind.
1) crohn's disease. Numerous hospitilizations, two surgeries, medicine with bad side effects. Overall though this was a character building experience. Especially because of strong family and friends.

2) parents getting divorced. They had a very unpleasant divorce. My mom hated my dad for a while. Was very hard especially when my family used to be so close and supportive. Kind of felt like the ground was being ripped out from underneath me. I have long recovered from this.

Overall I have a pretty sweet life, with no real tragedies.

jba
10-20-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

family = relatives

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, this is my last post in response to you in this thread. The people I know use the term relatives to describe extended family. If somebody says family it normally is used to describe immediate family. Yes, I know they are technically the same, but they aren't used that way in everyday context. When people say "I'm going to hang out with the family" vs. "I'm going to hang out with the relatives" it normally means 2 different things. Why you had to make that last post I don't know. It's not like you said anything constructive.

Maybe this is just a regional thing. Kind of like how peachy uses papa for gandfather while nobody I know uses it for anything other than dad.

Sorry for hijaking your thread GoT.

[/ QUOTE ]

larry david is that you??

mason55
10-20-2005, 02:31 AM
I guess I'm lucky. I can't think of a single bad thing that's happened to me in my life.

Maybe God loves me because I've never made a mistake in my life either.