PDA

View Full Version : 5 handed ultraaggressive

King_J
06-03-2003, 11:27 AM
I seem to have a problem to beat the ultraaggressive 5handed game online... Its a 4-8$ fixed one.

My opponents are raising and chasing like crazy! They can open raise with almost any two cards.

Very often they just cold-call though. And I think that there is much money to be made.

Postflop they continue very aggressive, even though it slows down abit.

My strategy is to open raise with hands like AK-A7 KQ-KT and many suited connectors (such as JT and 89) I also openraise with any pair over fives.

On the flop I often check-fold if I have 2-3 callers with for an example AJ and the flop comes K93. If I am heads up though I sometimes just call down since they bluff very often.

They almost always pays me off when I have a hand so the valuebets are okey I guess.

I dont really have such a big clue why I dont beat this game more often than I actually do. And, I really dont know why. Plz give me a hand

stripsqueez
06-03-2003, 11:00 PM
ultra-aggressive 5 handed is a lucrative game

theres no simple answer as to how to play - the well worn tactics and advise apply - perhaps the most useful thing to say is more about the psychology of such a game - i dont really know but i suspect the more aggressive the school the more extreme your swings and that means the more crucial is it to have a disciplined consistent minset

dont chase - loose promotes loose - for example if you come across a button player who raises pre-flop every time with no callers before him you might play more hands in the big blind than you would against a different opponent but it is easy to get into a mindset of calling with anything

resign yourself to play a few rounds without playing a hand and resign yourself to getting bluffed out of some pots - your advantage comes from picking the right times and the disparity that tight , accurate choices have over wanton aggression - the more aggressive the more selective you can afford to be is a better mindset than chasing them

in practical terms i wouldnt and dont play as many hands as you suggest - no runners on the button i would normally raise with Ax but i throw it away everywhere else except the big blind for 1 extra bet (or making up the small blind)

none of this is to say you should not also be aggressive , but dont bluff guys who are in a minset of calling everything down - look for the opportunities to punish them when you do play ie reraise with 4-5 runners in the big blind with good drawing hands like KQ suited and if they fearlessly bluff into the turn check raise with top pair religously - if your at the back pick times to just call with good hands and enjoy watching your top pair of queens win a healthy pot when they show you J high nothing having bet all the way through from the front

hope it helps