PDA

View Full Version : Deathgrip on this straight

10-19-2005, 01:29 AM
When one person raises me, I think they're making a move. When two people do it, they're probably colluding. When it's 3 or more - MHIG.

5/10 table on Party, table is like a 30/5 with medium aggression, some horrible players and a few decent ones.

CO is 26/3/1.54, BB is 21/5/.43, UTG is a relative unknown with 10 hands on him, but his stats are like 60/6 if that means anything.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (20.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 24.50 BB

Comments on all streets welcome. I really wanted to fold to the cap on the turn but all I could think was how big the pot was and how my hand was the nuts on the flop. Plan on the river was to call one, hoping everyone had 3-pair, and fold to any raise.

Harv72b
10-19-2005, 01:39 AM
If your read on BB is over a good chunk of hands, you can pretty safely fold to his Turn 3-bet. 0.43 AF with that low a VPIP isn't going to check/3-bet with aces up. Without a firm read like that, I would've had a lot of trouble folding this hand, too.

I'd love to say that you should've just fastplayed the flop, but I don't see how you get anyone with KQ out of the hand anyway, let alone a flopped set. Just looks like tough luck if you did lose.

PITTM
10-19-2005, 01:42 AM
deleted

10-19-2005, 01:45 AM
Hi Harv.

I don't see how I can fold to the BB's 3-bet without a rock-solid read. He did seem to be a pretty good player but that's just two more bets in a monster pot. What I'm wondering is whether that read, compounded with UTG's cap, makes this a fold on the turn. Is one + the other a clear fold?

I agree, there's no way I could shut out KQ on this hand. I didn't want to raise the flop and make it two cold back to the other players because two thirds of the deck would still give me the pure nuts on the turn and might possibly keep someone in who was drawing completely dead. Is this wrong?

Harv72b
10-19-2005, 02:31 AM
I'm not folding to any guy that's played 6 out of the 10 hands I have on him, so I'm disregarding UTG's check/cap. And yeah, like you said, it'd take a very firm read on BB to make a fold on the turn reasonable.

As far as slowplaying the flop, you probably shouldn't have. There are no hands drawing completely dead to you on this flop other than two undercards, and anyone holding those probably isn't calling 1 bet anyway; anyone with a pair still has a shot at filling up, anyone with two overcards has at least a gutshot to a better straight. And while the pot isn't really big yet, it's not exactly tiny, either...so I prefer just raising the first time.

However, in this one case I can't see how that could have cost you the pot, as whatever these guys have on the turn would've been worth calling 2 on the flop with.

Shillx
10-19-2005, 02:39 AM
Holy crap raise the flop one time.

10-19-2005, 02:41 AM
Yah guess so. My position sucks and I hate making everyone call two cold but I suppose that's the best play. K, I'm convinced.

Joe Tall
10-19-2005, 03:14 AM
Why didn't you raise the flop?

10-19-2005, 03:20 AM
Verdict: No more being sneaky with the nuts, even when they're probably going to be good on later streets. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

CO flipped over AT for the sucker two pair, BB and UTG flipped up KQos for the chop and 'daz flipped up his sucker straight and got insulted by the maniac he'd been baiting for the last hour. I shall commit this moment to memory, the shame of losing, the shame of 2+2ers telling me I fcked up. No more calling with the nuts.