PDA

View Full Version : When to take breaks when playing online?

10-18-2005, 11:39 PM
I heard you should take a break every 30 min. when playing. It could calm a person down and think about how he is playing. Whether it's still a good game or not. If they are not playing well.

What does everyone think?
Is there anybody out there have a regular break schedule?

jaxUp
10-18-2005, 11:50 PM
I think it really depends on the person. I don't have a regular break schedule. I stop whenever I'm tired or pissed off, or when something better to do comes along.

10-18-2005, 11:59 PM
I notice I start to make stupid raises and calls after about 2 hours playing 3-4 tables. I try to break for a bit every hour, which seems to reduce my mistake rate.

wegs the wegs
10-19-2005, 12:17 AM
There is usually a point, typically somewhere in between an hour and two hours into a session of 4 tabling where I can tell that Im just not as sharp. A bad call preflop, a dumb bluff, or knowing what my oppenent holds at the showdown yet still calling and losing just to make sure. I then unclick the autopost and wait until the blinds are on me, then break for usually an hour before going again.

jzpiano14
10-19-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is usually a point, typically somewhere in between an hour and two hours into a session of 4 tabling where I can tell that Im just not as sharp. A bad call preflop, a dumb bluff, or knowing what my oppenent holds at the showdown yet still calling and losing just to make sure. I then unclick the autopost and wait until the blinds are on me, then break for usually an hour before going again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want this kind of discipline...still working on it.

gabbahh
10-19-2005, 05:04 AM
I like to stop playing when either:
1)I start making mistakes (I normally do not make), or
2)I have been playing longer then 8 hours AND get tired, or
3)I can not find profitable games, or
4)I do not enjoy playing (not feeling like a million bucks)
When any 1 of the above points holds true I always stop.

When playing long sessions I like to take 5 minute breaks every two hours. I do this to rethink my game.

POKhER
10-19-2005, 05:15 AM
i dont take breaks, ill usually play for 5-6 hours straight and lately after loisng $120 at party 1/2 tables(beginners too) i've been tilting bad.

Taking a whole day off from actual poker.

I Guess now i'll take 30 minute breaks every 1-2hrs and may take 1whole day of a week. Playing 24/7 is not good.

Neurotoxin
10-19-2005, 05:16 AM
Breaks are necessary to avoid RSI (repetitive stress injuries) like carpal tunnel.

Mooski
10-19-2005, 05:57 AM
I take a 5 min break from the screen every hour or so, just because I have bad eyes. I do this at work too, so it's not just a poker thing. I use the time to get a coffee and clear my head a bit, I find it makes me more focussed (sp?).