PDA

View Full Version : I love whiskey thread

Buckmulligan
10-18-2005, 11:36 PM
I've recently acquired a taste for Jack Daniels and would like to explore elsewhere. I prefer whiskey on the rocks and know very little about other types. Any guidance or opinions on whiskey?

MEbenhoe
10-18-2005, 11:39 PM
check out Maker's Mark, pretty much standard advice on this topic

jonoo
10-18-2005, 11:40 PM
i like whiskey and ginger ale. sounds kinda nasty but its really good.

imported_anacardo
10-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Another easy-to-find, fairly inexpensive, good value to try would be one of the common "Glen" scotches - Glenfiddich, Glenlivet. I'm quite partial to Glenlivet, myself.

Asufiji2004
10-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Crown Royal

JihadOnTheRiver
10-18-2005, 11:48 PM
What kinda price range? In general I would recommend finding a Scotch at the highest possible price bracket that you can swing. Scotch is where its at for whiskey bro.

James Boston
10-19-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but are you aware of how many things fall into the whiskey category?

Jack Daniels is a Sour Mash Whiskey.
It's not technically bourbon, but I can't name any other sour mashes.

Scotch Whiskey, on the other hand, is a very different flavor. How far reaching are you trying to go here?

vabogee
10-19-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another easy-to-find, fairly inexpensive, good value to try would be one of the common "Glen" scotches - Glenfiddich, Glenlivet. I'm quite partial to Glenlivet, myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

scotch is a totally different animal from jack (or, for that matter irish whiskey and bourbon). if you dig scotch, you'd do well to try as many of these as possible:

The Six Classic Malts
http://www.diageobrands.com/brand_pages/classic_malts.htm

whiskeytown
10-19-2005, 12:59 AM
I tried to drink Jack and Jim Bean - trying to maintain some stupid idea of authenticity to some unwritten musician's code that I should be drinking one of those two whiskeys.

Then one night I was at a bar where Jameson was half price, and I fell in love with it. (bitch didn't love me back, but that's another story)

so I say Jameson Irish Whiskey. Also Tullimore Dew - think I drank that at the Excalbaur.

RB

SheetWise
10-19-2005, 01:00 AM
I share your love of sour mash -- try George Dickell.

Fratony
10-19-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, this is a very good "sipping whiskey" with a lower price tag. I actually prefer it to Jack, especially on the rocks. As far as higher priced whikeys go, I prefer Makers and Crown even though they taste very different IMO. I dont have too much experience with the upper upper price range stuff, but my buddy bought some blue label one time and it was magnificent (not worth the price for my taste though).

dblgutshot
10-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Do you guys just sip it?

imported_anacardo
10-19-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He just said "whiskey," right? Though he's starting with bourbon, of course. Yeah, get yourself some Maker's Mark or Knob Creek, if you want to stick with bourbon.

scotch and bourbon are two totally different animals. if you dig scotch, you'd do well to try as many of these as possible:

The Six Classic Malts

[/ QUOTE ]

MHarris
10-19-2005, 01:23 AM
I've taken a liking to good bourbons lately. I recommend Blanton's, Knob Creek, Booker's, Baker's, and the high-end Jack Daniels products.

Tron
10-19-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

scotch is a totally different animal from jack (or, for that matter irish whiskey and bourbon). if you dig scotch, you'd do well to try as many of these as possible:

The Six Classic Malts

[/ QUOTE ]

Any scotch will do, as long as it's not a blend, of course.

Fratony
10-19-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys just sip it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If by sip you mean drink in a relatively slow pace as in not chugging straight whiskey, then yes. I don't make sippy noises like kids drinking from a juice box though.

Fratony
10-19-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were unaware, Blue Label is a blend.

ChipWrecked
10-19-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing you're not insulting intelligence, because you are incorrect. While JD is a sour mash (as is all American bourbon), it is classified as a Tennessee Whiskey.

imported_anacardo
10-19-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were unaware, Blue Label is a blend.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's so money, and you don't even know it. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

jesusarenque
10-19-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've taken a liking to good bourbons lately. I recommend Blanton's, Knob Creek, Booker's, Baker's, and the high-end Jack Daniels products.

[/ QUOTE ]

You left out Woodford Reserve.

vabogee
10-19-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's not technically bourbon, but I can't name any other sour mashes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack is very similar to bourbon, but it is not made in Kentucky, therefore can not be called a bourbon.

Fratony
10-19-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My buddy and I did a blind taste test with this, makers, gentleman's jack, and maybe Dickel. We both agreed it was our least favorite, very strong alcohol kick to it.

[ QUOTE ]

He's so money, and you don't even know it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, if i bore you. Just started drinking, so it should make my posts a little more interesting.

vabogee
10-19-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn straight! Woodford is my favorite bourbon. (Although, I do love Old Crow when I'm in the mood to sip for flavor and aroma, but instead to induce unconsciousness--which does happen from time to time. /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

vabogee
10-19-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
did a blind taste test with this, makers, gentleman's jack

[/ QUOTE ]

gentleman's jack has a very flat but slightly smoky flavor. not a huge fan. original JD is much better IMO. And obviously, maker's is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you don't repeat this advice in front of a Scot or a scotch connoisseur. Sorry, I just cringe when I hear people say this stuff. I really want to know where this idea came from? I think it was just some marketing scheme of single malts that was very successful. Probably appeared in GQ or whatever magazine people read to learn how to be a man. What made Scotch the international drink of choice was blended scotch. Blended scotch is usually 65% grain whiskey and 35% single malt. Single malt is just what one distillery produces. A master blender must take several single malts like a chef does with ingredients to produce the same taste year after year. If the bottle comes with an age, such as 12 year old that specifies the age of the youngest scotch in it. Many blends could have scotches that are much older.

shant
Jack rocks is awesome.

imported_anacardo
10-19-2005, 02:01 AM
YOU JUST DON'T GET IT.

GOOGLE THE WORDS, THEN APOLOGIZE.

Fratony
10-19-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gentleman's jack has a very flat but slightly smoky flavor. not a huge fan. original JD is much better IMO. And obviously, maker's is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Never said it was good, just happened to be one of the whiskeys we had on hand. I can see how someone can like Woodford, i just find it to be rather harsh. Flavor is good though.

Fratony
10-19-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
YOU JUST DON'T GET IT.

GOOGLE THE WORDS, THEN APOLOGIZE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know its from swingers. Still not knowing what i should be appologizing for though.

vabogee
10-19-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you don't repeat this advice in front of a Scot or a scotch connoisseur. Sorry, I just cringe when I hear people say this stuff. I really want to know where this idea came from? I think it was just some marketing scheme of single malts that was very successful. Probably appeared in GQ or whatever magazine people read to learn how to be a man. What made Scotch the international drink of choice was blended scotch. Blended scotch is usually 65% grain whiskey and 35% single malt. Single malt is just what one distillery produces. A master blender must take several single malts like a chef does with ingredients to produce the same taste year after year. If the bottle comes with an age, such as 12 year old that specifies the age of the youngest scotch in it. Many blends could have scotches that are much older.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on with that. I happen to be a huge fan of the uniqueness of some of the premium single malts. but somewhere along the line there was a smear campaign against the blended brands that labeled them sort of an unhip grandpa-booze.

the finer blends like ballantine's and johnny blue/gold are just about unbeatable. in scotland, single-malts are known for their local character and tradition, while blends are renowned for the artfulness of their closely-guarded secret recipes.

god, whiskey's great. i'm going to go have a glass right now. lates!

Sephus
10-19-2005, 02:09 AM
deleted.

vabogee
10-19-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Never said it was good, just happened to be one of the whiskeys we had on hand. I can see how someone can like Woodford, i just find it to be rather harsh. Flavor is good though.

[/ QUOTE ]

right on. i could see how people wouldn't dig woodford. i'm just a huge fan. (i've even toured the distillery)

imported_anacardo
10-19-2005, 02:22 AM
Nah, you're cool. You're not the one who made a long-winded authority's post re: a simple movie quotation. Mad love. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

xadrez
10-19-2005, 08:55 AM
I prefer scotch whisky, personally. Espiecially the smokey ones from the islands (Laphroig, Lagavulin, Highland Park, Talisker, etc). Also, there is good blended scotch, just dont get Old Smuggler or some other disgusting crap.

Im also a big fan of Jameson and Irish Whiskey. Never really liked bourbon too much, but Im going to give it another shot. Woodfords was mentioned as a favorite in this thread, anything else? Id prefer something not too sweet, but I understand bourbon is that by nature.

imported_The Vibesman
10-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Jameson's when I can spend. Jim Beam when I can't. Drank a lot of Jack Daniel's as a teenager, can't even smell the stuff anymore.

mackthefork
10-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Isle of Jura (http://www.isleofjura.com/home.asp)

Very nice, fairly cheap.

Mack

glen
10-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Jack, Makers Mark, Jameson, and Jim Beam in that order for me. . . .

Slow Play Ray
10-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Maker's Mark
Glenlivet
Johnnie Walker Black
Jameson
Jim Beam Black

...are all good, standard bottles.

I also have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold I am dying to crack open.

RunDownHouse
10-19-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Its "Dickel," its made just down the road from JD, its a couple bucks cheaper, and its a whole lot better. If you like Jack/rocks, try Dickel before you go prancing about trying to find scotches.

mackthefork
10-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Good catalogue (https://www.lfw.co.uk/acatalog/Stock_Lists_Single_Malts_6.html)

Regards Mack

toddw8
10-19-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even like bourbon, but I've seriously considered buying a bottle of Woodford Reserve on several occasions. The packaging just makes it look so inviting. The bottle looks like a giant amber colored lollipop.

4_2_it
10-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Got a bottle of Basil Hayden as a gift and enjoyed it.

jaydub
10-19-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Single malt only has become the mantra of those that know very little about scotch but want to appear knowledgeable. Many people fit into this category, unfortunately, probably more than in the category of connoisseur. I agree that it probably started in a men's fashion magazine.

emil3000
10-19-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Very nice, fairly cheap.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a bottle of the 10yo at home right now, and I really don't like it.

A good introduction to scotch is something like a Macallan 12yo. A tasty and balanced scotch of moderate power, reasonably priced. If you want to try out the more peaty and smoky stuff, obviously you need to go Islay. The best introductory scotch from islay is IMO Laphroaig 10yo. Very complex, very powerful, smoky and peaty, and still remarkably balanced. Might be my favorite whisky of all times. For an outsider pick, I shared a bottle of Bruichladdich 12yo (http://www.bruichladdich.com/) with some friends this summer. Truly a remarkable scotch. The taste is not smoky or peaty so much as flowery and fruity, yet it is very powerful, the tastes wash over your tongue like a flood. Highly recommended, although I am not sure if it's easily attainable in the US.

ChipWrecked
10-19-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Its "Dickel," its made just down the road from JD, its a couple bucks cheaper, and its a whole lot better. If you like Jack/rocks, try Dickel before you go prancing about trying to find scotches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love it myself, even though it breaks my heart that they ship it to Kentucky for bottling /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Slow Play Ray
10-19-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i like whiskey and ginger ale. sounds kinda nasty but its really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmm...highballs...

oh yeah, and i forgot crown royale and tullamore dew in my recommendations.

Slow Play Ray
10-19-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys just sip it?

[/ QUOTE ]

most whiskeys, yes - but jack daniels was made to be done a shot at a time, with a big swig of coke as a chaser.

10-19-2005, 10:21 AM
if bourbon's your game, i highly recomend Van Winkle. you might have to look a bit to find it, but this stuff is the real deal. it's got some bite to it though, so for all you gentlemen jack fans out there, steer clear.

ChipWrecked
10-19-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

most whiskeys, yes - but jack daniels was made to be done a shot at a time, with a big swig of coke as a chaser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heartily disagree with this statement.

Slow Play Ray
10-19-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's okay - it's a sentimental thing for me.

not to mention a good way to get unspeakably drunk very quickly.

ChipWrecked
10-19-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's okay - it's a sentimental thing for me.

not to mention a good way to get unspeakably drunk very quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's why I didn't say 'you are wrong' because it's always personal when it comes to hooch.

johnnycakes
10-19-2005, 11:31 AM
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/images/bourbon/17c.1.jpg

mackthefork
10-19-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Very nice, fairly cheap.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

A good introduction to scotch is something like a Macallan 12yo. A tasty and balanced scotch of moderate power, reasonably priced. If you want to try out the more peaty and smoky stuff, obviously you need to go Islay. The best introductory scotch from islay is IMO Laphroaig 10yo. Very complex, very powerful, smoky and peaty, and still remarkably balanced. Might be my favorite whisky of all times. For an outsider pick, I shared a bottle of Bruichladdich 12yo (http://www.bruichladdich.com/) with some friends this summer. Truly a remarkable scotch. The taste is not smoky or peaty so much as flowery and fruity, yet it is very powerful, the tastes wash over your tongue like a flood. Highly recommended, although I am not sure if it's easily attainable in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah it's a little simple, no doubt you are recommending better gear here, but JD is simple too, I've met quite a few people who weren't in love with Jura, but I've never known anyone to object badly to it.

Regards Mack

Buckmulligan
10-19-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an obscure reference to my favorite movie swingers, not a naive reference. give the man a break.

Rduke55
10-19-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure scotch or small-batch bourbon would be the next place to go. I think these people are forgetting their whiskey-drinkin' roots.
Try some of the Irish whiskeys. For a light, mellow one Tullamore Dew is very good.
Also a good canadian whisky like Crown.

Rduke55
10-19-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Very nice, fairly cheap.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great call on the Macallan. I always say it's scotch for non scotch people. I love it.
I can't get bast the "band-aid" taste of Laphroaig. My wife loves it though.

lighterjobs
10-19-2005, 03:09 PM
http://www.petitewines.co.uk/jump_images/294_IMAGE2.jpg

Cancer Merchant
10-19-2005, 03:11 PM
I hear good things about Rebel Yell. It's just come available in my area, worth a try?

RunDownHouse
10-19-2005, 03:34 PM
I've killed bottles of Fighting Cock with some friends before. I can't believe anyone else has ever heard of it.

No, it wasn't a pleasant experience.

The Goober
10-19-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Single malt only has become the mantra of those that know very little about scotch but want to appear knowledgeable. Many people fit into this category, unfortunately, probably more than in the category of connoisseur. I agree that it probably started in a men's fashion magazine.

[/ QUOTE ]

My only experience with blended scotches have been cheap ones that taste to me like grain alcohol with peat flavoring added (and I think with a cheap blend the color actually come from food coloring, since there isn't enough old scotch in it to make it brown). I've never had a single malt that wasn't at least decent, but there are lots and lots of crappy blends. As long as they don't get snooty about it, you can't blame the uninitiated for going for single malts versus blends when in doubt.

The only good blended scotches I know of are in the $100+ / bottle range. Can you recommend some good blends to try?

James Boston
10-19-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While JD is a sour mash (as is all American bourbon), it is classified as a Tennessee Whiskey.

[/ QUOTE ]

All bourbon is sour mash? Didn't know that. The label on my bottle say "Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey." I always thought the "Tennessee" part was just reflecting where it came from, and "sour mash" was its classification.

lighterjobs
10-19-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've killed bottles of Fighting Cock with some friends before. I can't believe anyone else has ever heard of it.

No, it wasn't a pleasant experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

first time I ever drank it was before a music festival.

I drank a pint and sat outside in the blazing heat for the entire day.

the following few days were the most miserable days of my life.

mmcd
10-19-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While JD is a sour mash (as is all American bourbon), it is classified as a Tennessee Whiskey.

[/ QUOTE ]

All bourbon is sour mash? Didn't know that. The label on my bottle say "Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey." I always thought the "Tennessee" part was just reflecting where it came from, and "sour mash" was its classification.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the charcoal filtering that differentiates Tenessee whiskey.

mmcd
10-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Midleton Very Rare (http://www.internetwines.com/mb712074.html)

Jeffage
10-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Does anyone actually like the taste of whisky or do you just like getting drunk as hell on it (which I can appreciate). Personally I think it tastes like paint thinner but I wish I liked it. Beer is the only alcohol I drink (unless drunk to the point I can't taste shots).

Jeff

James Boston
10-19-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a side-bar, if you ever get the opportunity to visit their distillery, take a whiff of the grain alcohol as it goes through the charcoal. That's a smell that will stay with you for days.

10-19-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure if people are unaware of it or maybe they don't like it, but Crown Royal is one of my favorite whiskeys.

HDPM
10-19-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hear good things about Rebel Yell. It's just come available in my area, worth a try?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not nearly as bad as I expected for the price. Decent IIRC I have not had a lot of it tho. Worth a try I suppose.

HDPM
10-19-2005, 09:49 PM
We don't like it. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Buckmulligan
10-19-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone actually like the taste of whisky or do you just like getting drunk as hell on it (which I can appreciate). Personally I think it tastes like paint thinner but I wish I liked it. Beer is the only alcohol I drink (unless drunk to the point I can't
[ QUOTE ]

whiskey is the only liquor that i really care for, but i think it is very good. Tequilla is ok.

ChipWrecked
10-20-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a side-bar, if you ever get the opportunity to visit their distillery, take a whiff of the grain alcohol as it goes through the charcoal. That's a smell that will stay with you for days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I damn near passed out. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bob L
10-23-2005, 01:10 AM
Its hard to believe there has been no mention of Wild Turkey in this thread -a classic in this type of discussion.

10-23-2005, 01:17 AM
Jack rules

2+2 wannabe
10-23-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jack rules

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded

10-23-2005, 02:20 AM
Speaking of wild turkey, has anyone ever tried wild turkey rye? I've heard that it's supposed to be really good, but I've never been able to find it.