PDA

View Full Version : When to take breaks when playing online?

10-18-2005, 11:25 PM
I heard you should take a break every 30 min. when playing. It could calm a person down and think about how he is playing. Whether it's still a good game or not. If they are not playing well.

What does everyone think?
Is there anybody out there have a regular break schedule?

mosquito
10-19-2005, 01:12 AM
I take breaks as needed. Usually between 1 and 2 hours, but sometimes less or more.

wall_st
10-19-2005, 05:18 AM
I am for every 45 minutes. I find I tilt/bore easily if I don't at least get up, walk around, go to the bathroom or get a small snack.

Poldi
10-19-2005, 11:36 AM
I ask myself every 30 mins if I am still playing well. If I am, I continue, otherwise not.
Gotta be honest with yourself..

Harv72b
10-19-2005, 11:23 PM
It varies widely depending on my mood. Sometimes I'm just not into the game (or starting to steam after a few bad beats), so I take a "break" after only 20 minutes or so. Other times I'm in the zone and play for 4 hours or more straight. FWIW, I generally don't play more than 2 hours straight when multitabling.

The length of the break also depends. Sometimes I'll just take a few minutes to skim through some threads on here and then get back to playing. Other times I'll end up quitting for the day. I'm a big supporter of Doyle Brunson's "play when you want to play" philosophy.

Warren Whitmore
10-20-2005, 07:06 AM
There is an old book out called "think and grow rich" by Napolian Hill. One of the things he advices is to always return to your job, hobby, etc better than the way you left it. If you take a break and clear your head splash water on your face, read a few lines of text, or something positive take as many breaks as often as you wish. If on the other hand you watch tV, grab a beer, or do anything else that will make you a worse player upon your return dont take a break at all.

10-24-2005, 05:03 AM
it depends on how tired I am. .. and how much my neck hurts..

SNOWBALL138
10-24-2005, 06:57 AM
Breaks are good if you are multitabling. If you are single tabling its not very important unless you are on tilt or something.

10-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Whether you are playing online or live, I think a proper gauge for taking breaks should be the number of hands you've played. I will typically break every 90-120 min playing live, which equates to approximately 45-60 hands. When I'm playing online I would need to break every 45-60 minutes, and even more when I'm multitabling. Every hand you are dealt takes a chunk out of your stamina.

stigmata
10-24-2005, 11:53 AM
I normally break something every hour or two. It depends. If i'm running bad I can break a mouse every 30 minutes. Sometimes I tilt even worse and a stapler goes through the window, or the cat gets kicked.