PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading processor/RAM

tizim
10-18-2005, 10:14 PM
I recently built a computer with an Athlon 3000+ Venice processor and 1GB of Crucial Valueselect RAM. However, I'm datamining 20-30 tables at once with PT importing and PokerAce often running, and my CPU usage is usually at 100% because of PT. Obviously, things on my computer get quite hectic, especially when PT imports. Everything lags, and some programs freeze up.

If I upgraded to a 3500+ or 3800+ with 2GB of RAM, would I notice increased performance (ie. computer lags less when PT is importing, PT imports are quicker, PokerAce stats show up more quickly)?

Nomad84
10-18-2005, 10:32 PM
You've probably already tried this, but just in case... Have you played with the settings in PT? I have a really crappy computer and if I want to datamine for very long, I increase the time between imports to 20 or 30 minutes or even more.

BTW, where do you mine that many tables at once? I assume it's spread between multiple networks?

bort411
10-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Just change the priority setting of PT to "below average" in the task manager if that's what's causing slowdowns. It will use all available resources but not take any from other programs.

Also, what's your Hard drive/ pagefile setup?

tizim
10-19-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just change the priority setting of PT to "below average" in the task manager if that's what's causing slowdowns. It will use all available resources but not take any from other programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great idea, I'm going to try it.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what's your Hard drive/ pagefile setup?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use an 80gb Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 (might have misspelled it) with an 8mb cache. It was highly recommended on www.hardforum.com (http://www.hardforum.com) . Do you think I'd experience noticeably better performance if I upgraded to, say, a WD Raptor?

Nomad - Party Mine allows you to use distributed mining to mine on multiple Windows XP user accounts.

Nomad84
10-19-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nomad - Party Mine allows you to use distributed mining to mine on multiple Windows XP user accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you have multiple Party accounts or are you somehow able to log into the same party account from each windows xp user?

tizim
10-20-2005, 07:46 AM
I'm using multiple real money Party accounts (mine and my friends' dormant accounts).