PDA

View Full Version : what is a pooh-bah ?

dr_mabuse
06-03-2003, 04:33 AM
hi folks,

i am not english native speaking and just curious what exactly a pooh-bah is ?
maybe somebody can explain it to me ?

thank you in advance
olaf

Al Mirpuri
06-03-2003, 06:47 AM
The following is from the FAQ:

What are these titles about?

Everyone has a title within the forum. You will notice them below the Username in each post. Some titles are automatically assigned based on the number of posts a user has made, and some titles are assigned by the forum owner to denote official representatives of the company or other VIPs in the forums.

Here is the list of the standard titles and # of posts to achieve them:

0 stranger
25 newbie
50 journeyman
100 member
200 enthusiast
400 addict
700 old hand
1200 veteran
1600 Pooh-Bah
2500 Carpal Tunnel

dr_mabuse
06-03-2003, 07:00 AM
hi,

i was aware of that, but you did not understand my question:
i want to know the meaning of the word pooh-bah if there is any ?

thanks and bye
olaf

Dynasty
06-03-2003, 07:37 AM
For the best answer, watch several episodes of "The Flintstones".

Joe Tall
06-03-2003, 08:35 AM
A Pooh-bah is a leader of the 'Royal Order of Water Buffalo' on the cartoon 'The Flintstones', whereas the 'Buffalo' are an all-male social fraternity similar to the 'Elks' and 'Lions' clubs here in the States. The Grand Pooh-bah is the leader of them all.

How do I know this? I really don't know. I watched the Flintstones for a while when I was a kid. I've used Pooh-bah and 'Royal Order of Water Buffalo' in jokes for years amongst friends when there was a large gathering off all the 'boys'.

dr_mabuse
06-03-2003, 08:36 AM
hi,

isnt there a more explicit answer possible ? i will have a hard time finding an english version of "the flintstones" here ?

thanks and bye
olaf

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-03-2003, 08:37 AM
Pooh Bah is not an English term. Its origins (other than, as Dynasty cited, the Flintstones) are unclear. It may be meant to sound American Indian, for all I know.

Simple definition: "Grand Pooh Bah" - the supreme leader of a semi-secret club. Thus a "pooh bah" might have the connotation of "wise man", "shaman" or just "a$$hole who thinks he knows everything." /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

No offense meant there to those on the board who have achieved that status, but there's no test one has to pass, other than just posting a whole lot, to earn that title.

I mean, in 300 or so posts, I'll be a pooh bah, and that won't mean I know a damn thing more about this game than I did 6 months ago (although I hope I will have learned a little).

dr_mabuse
06-03-2003, 08:38 AM
sorry, simulatanously posted.

Easy E
06-03-2003, 10:16 AM
You have to almost double your posts just to be an old hand.... you have a long way to go before earning the glorious Pooh-Bah title....

You Klingons are all alike- glory-grubbing PITAs.....

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-03-2003, 10:49 AM
What is it, 1500 for Pooh Bah? Besides, my point was that just posting x times wouldn't make me an expert. My fault for being self-deprecating (a human characteristic) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

The glory is in the battle. qapla'

btw, it's spelled *petaq*, but majQa' for trying.

Homer
06-03-2003, 10:59 AM
A Pooh-Bah is a loser who spends too much time posting on this site -- like -- well -- me.

-- Homer

Cyrus
06-03-2003, 01:50 PM
The usage came from The Flinstones, as others pointed out. The dictionary websites provide the etymology.

Pooh-Bah or pooh-bah n. :
A pompous ostentatious official, especially one who, holding many offices, fulfills none of them.
A person who holds high office.

[After Pooh-Bah, Lord-High-Everything-Else, a character in "The Mikado" by W.S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan.]

Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

dr_mabuse
06-04-2003, 04:04 AM
thank you very much !

i am informed now.

olaf

Clarkmeister
06-04-2003, 11:11 AM
We'll give you the *real* answer in about 1580 posts sir.