PDA

View Full Version : Were there gay native americans?

Jurollo
10-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Just a random thought. But in all the books I have read outside of a school setting about US history or anything even similar I have never heard the mention of a homosexual indian. Were there gay indians? Were there openly gay indians? If there wasn't gay indians what started homosexuality? I mean this sounds like a funny question to ask but it could have some merit on the seeds of homosexuality being sociological or psychological and this whole line of questioning comes from a stupid joke I heard a week ago. Discuss.
~Justin

send_the_msg
10-18-2005, 08:00 PM
can't liamas be gay too?

Blarg
10-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Shamans were sometimes gay. Some tribes had recognition of guys that were thought of as both men and women. They were thought to have special insight into the spirit world, I guess like Tiresias in Greek legend.

ddubois
10-18-2005, 08:08 PM
There was in Little Big Man - the character Little Horse.

JaBlue
10-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Who was Tiresias again? I just remember him being the one to tell Oedipus that he did in fact kill his father and marry his mother. The Greeks were sick.

JihadOnTheRiver
10-18-2005, 08:14 PM
yes. and i'm pretty sure they looked exactly like this.
http://www.officialvillagepeople.com/Pictures/Flip-1.jpg

Blarg
10-18-2005, 08:16 PM
My memory could be better, but I recall him as the blind seer who could see the future and had better insight not only because he was blind, but also because he had been both a man and a woman, and wound up a hermaphrodite. I don't remember anything else about him except he cropped up in a T.S. Eliot poem, The Wasteland, I think, and supposedly said sex was better as a woman.

Cancer Merchant
10-18-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who was Tiresias again? I just remember him being the one to tell Oedipus that he did in fact kill his father and marry his mother. The Greeks were sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was an old seer, who was turned into a woman when he killed a female snake having sex. Some years and adventures later, he was turned back into a man after killing the male of another set of snakes.

As one of the only people to be a man and a woman, Zeus, to settle a dispute with Hera, asked him who enjoyed sex more, men or women. He told the truth: women, and was blinded by Hera.

For fun, read Plato's Phaedo some time.

man
10-18-2005, 08:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas

scroll down to "gender." about 3/4 down the article.

RacersEdge
10-18-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm pretty sure the Indian in the Village People was gay.

10-18-2005, 10:19 PM
I hope by the time I have children that there is a vaccination for homosexuality. It would crush me to have to tell my 17 yr old son that he has been disowned and to go live with some distant relative if he turns out to be an ass pirate, but I'd do it without even blinking (not that it would crush me to expel the dirty [censored], but just the knowledge that my seed carried [censored] genes)

10-18-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the Indian in the Village People was gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the cop or the construction worker. They all seemed like they kept looking at each other during the YM part and then when CA came they turned away.

PoBoy321
10-18-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope by the time I have children that there is a vaccination for homosexuality. It would crush me to have to tell my 17 yr old son that he has been disowned and to go live with some distant relative if he turns out to be an ass pirate, but I'd do it without even blinking (not that it would crush me to expel the dirty [censored], but just the knowledge that my seed carried [censored] genes)

[/ QUOTE ] Awwww, it's nice to see that some people still believe in unconditional love. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PoBoy321
10-18-2005, 10:27 PM
I imagine that there were, although homosexuality was treated differently from the way it is today in nearly every culture. For example, in ancient Greece, homosexual relationships between an older man and a younger boy (like 17-20) were common as a way to introduce the boy to society. In Japan, samurai warriors often had homosexual relationships as a way to further solidify the bond between soldiers. There were, however, many cultures who shunned homosexuality, but it was mainly because they viewed homosexuality as a roadblock to the propogation of their familiy line. That said, I don't know what the native american view towards homosexuality was or if it was acceptable to be openly gay, but I can tell you with nearly 100% certainty that there were gay indians

asofel
10-18-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shamans were sometimes gay. Some tribes had recognition of guys that were thought of as both men and women. They were thought to have special insight into the spirit world, I guess like Tiresias in Greek legend.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, is there anything you don't know about? from your posts in OOT i gotta think you'd kick ass at jeopardy...

"does anyone know if plankton prefer doggy style or missionary?"

blarg: "actually plankton prefer the cowboy, ..."

HopeydaFish
10-18-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, is there anything you don't know about? from your posts in OOT i gotta think you'd kick ass at jeopardy...

"does anyone know if plankton prefer doggy style or missionary?"

blarg: "actually plankton prefer the cowboy, ..."

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...and what would follow would be a 3 paragraph dissertation on the mating habits of plankton. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HopeydaFish
10-18-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Just wow.

Cancer Merchant
10-19-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vaccination, no. But I'm sure future prenatal genetic testing will find the related gene, so you can abort your flesh and blood. Happy hoovering!

Warik
10-19-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Were there gay indians?

[/ QUOTE ]

No... no way. The Europeans brought that over too. Damn them!

HopeydaFish
10-19-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Were there gay indians?

[/ QUOTE ]

No... no way. The Europeans brought that over too. Damn them!

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard they gave the Indians blankets infected with gayness.

uw_madtown
10-19-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Were there gay indians? Were there openly gay indians?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://austinwm.club.fr/HTLM/Photos/T/Tatanka/Tatanka_-_Christopher_Chavis_04.jpg

Greg J
10-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Yeah I learned about one tribe where homosexuality was very out in the open. I forget the name of the tribe (learned about it in a Native American Art and Lit class I took as an undergrad like 6 years ago). One homosexual man took on the role of woman, taking part in division of labor that the women did, cooking and tending to crops. Gender wise, he was a woman, and treated as such. His partner was more masculine, doing hunting and fighting and such with the men. Basically, they fit into the typical male-female relationship pattern just like the rest tribe.

I thought that was pretty interesting. I wish I remember the name of that tribe. It illustrates the distinction between gender and sex (gender actually being a social construction, sex being an objective biological one).

tek
10-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Here's a hint:

I'll take Keemosabee for $100 Alex...

vabogee
10-19-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, that's messed up.

Fratony
10-19-2005, 01:01 AM
Just a thought, but maybe you should google your questions before you ask. Took me 10 seconds to find out there were.

do a find for homosexual on this page (http://www.crystalinks.com/nativeamericans.html)

Jake (The Snake)
10-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Tatanka was gay?

peachy
10-19-2005, 01:03 AM
uuumm this question shouldnt even need an answer....it has been around for 1000s of years...its not like any civilization was "different"

Jurollo
10-19-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just a thought, but maybe you should google your questions before you ask. Took me 10 seconds to find out there were.

do a find for homosexual on this page (http://www.crystalinks.com/nativeamericans.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't as much to get a concrete answer as to see what the responses were and who gave them. Half the fun is seeing what people have been exposed to things that others haven't before and not just searching on google and scrolling through pages of information. Not too mention the obligatory homophobia that was bound to show up in classic OOT style.
~Justin

Jurollo
10-19-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tatanka was gay?

[/ QUOTE ]
Him and Bam Bam Bigelow

http://www.weeklyvisitor.com/kevin/10/bigelow8.jpg

Bam Bam and Luna Vachon was just a facade
http://retro4.tripod.com/luna.jpg

God I miss early late 80s/early 90s WWF

stinkypete
10-19-2005, 01:31 AM
there were gay indians, but none of them were openly gay since there were no closets to come out of.

10-19-2005, 01:41 AM
Indians developed the gay vaccine (I forget the formal name for it), so, no, there were no gay Indians. Vaccination these days is expensive, so some Indians can't afford it.

Jurollo
10-19-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there were gay indians, but none of them were openly gay since there were no closets to come out of.

[/ QUOTE ]
NH!

Aytumious
10-19-2005, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If there wasn't gay indians what started homosexuality?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but I found this line to be hilarious.

JackWilson
10-19-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you were probably joking but being estranged from your family for being gay is really not that funny.

stigmata
10-19-2005, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound kinda repressed dude.

Reminds me of the Soho nail bomber, who set a bomb off in a crowded gay pub in London. The psychologist ascertained that his motive for the attacks was that he was "a repressed homosexual who was paranoid about his exceptionally small penis".

I think this is probably the case with you, too. There's obviously some unresolved issues burning away at inside.

uw_madtown
10-19-2005, 05:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tatanka was gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to imagine so.

[censored]
10-19-2005, 05:28 AM
According to Harley Race (http://www.livejournal.com/users/cmpunk/13570.html) he wasn't the only one

Scuba Chuck
10-19-2005, 05:32 AM
I'm having some interesting thoughts to the Lone Ranger and Tanto.

"Hi ho Silver"

Blarg
10-19-2005, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Awwww, it's nice to see that some people still believe in unconditional love. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, the kid should be disowned if he doesn't make first string on the football team.

man
10-19-2005, 09:08 AM
http://www.scabbed-wings.blogger.com.br/rickyfitts.jpg
edit: this one's funnier

imported_The Vibesman
10-19-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about it. There's no genetic evidence that you will pass your latent homosexuality on to your son.

Oh, and i don't know about Indians, but there's a song about eskimos:
I'm the only gay Eskimo
I'm the only one I know
I'm the only gay Eskimo
In my tribe

I go out seal hunting with my best friend Tarka
But all want to do is get into his parka

I'm the only gay Eskimo
In my tribe

Well me and Nukflukchukbuk
We both like blubber
But me I've got this crazy fetish for rubber

I'm the only gay Eskimo
In my tribe

I make a wish on the Northern Lights
That I can find a decent pair of whaleskin tights

I'm the only gay Eskimo
In my tribe

And the seals they sing now...
[seal noises]

These cold winter nights
Are taking their toll
I even get excited when I see the North Pole
See the North Pole...

I'm the only gay Eskimo
Only gay Eskimo
I'm the only one I know
The only one I know-oh-oh-oh
I'm the only gay Eskimo
In my tribe

masse75
10-19-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There was in Little Big Man - the character Little Horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was Little Bear. I thought he had pretty eyes...uh, never mind.

tek
10-20-2005, 03:17 PM
And I thought "quinn the Eskimo" was a gay song /images/graemlins/shocked.gif