PDA

View Full Version : Pros on PokerStars - Does location matter?

Gamblor
06-02-2003, 11:44 PM
To what extent do people, especially pros, mess with people's heads when entering their location?
For example, would a pro disguise his city to hide the fact that s/he lives in Las Vegas?

I suppose an obvious follow up would be: In a general sense, are players from Las Vegas better online players or worse? Arguments could be made from both sides - A Vegas player is better simply because they live there and live in the Poker atmosphere, and can play live games against the best in the world consistently. On the other hand, Vegas players might simply be gamblers and play without having studied the game from a theoretical point of view.
I think argument #1 is far more likely, but generally, are Vegas players better than "other"?

beernutz
06-03-2003, 01:11 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
For example, would a pro disguise his city to hide the fact that s/he lives in Las Vegas?

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of the worst players I find on any site, including Stars, have Las Vegas as their hometown.

Gamblor
06-03-2003, 01:47 AM
Thank you for the answer - I find it amazing that in only referring to the first question, you actually answered my second question! No need to look a gift horse though...

Thanks beernutz

Frozen
06-03-2003, 02:50 AM
Generally, in my opinion:

Players better than average: Swedes, Brits, Norweigens, Californians.

Players worse than average: Aussies, Israelis, Irish, Poles, French.

Of course these are rough generalizations, every person is an individual, and racism is stupid.

MrHeadsUp
06-03-2003, 06:48 AM

maplepig
06-03-2003, 07:45 AM
there's no need to disguise it, observant players know who are the pros by watching the game, fish just doesn't care who's a pro.

dink
06-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Yes us Aussies will bet on anything,
and there are some shocking aussie poker players, I know I have won money off them especially my mates.

But hey spread the rumour that aussies can't play poker, it gives those of us who can win (I only just class myself in that category) a losing persona and we should be able to milk some of those other nationalities for some cash, especially those brits, we love to beat the Brits at everything and anything.

cheers
Aussie Dink /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

06-03-2003, 12:12 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Players better than average: Swedes, Brits, Norweigens, Californians

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pleased that you consider us Norwegians better than average.. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Sorry. Couldn`t help myself. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif (Probably a lot of spelling errors here aswell..)

Carl_William
06-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Concerning People of German Heritage:

Having mostly German bloodlines &amp; growing up in a mostly German type area in Ohio, I would estimate Germans as being average -- some very smart, some average, and some very stupid. They cannot be grouped into a class because they comprise a very wide variety of people -- some are very intelligent but most are just hard working common people. Germans are very versatile -- it can be shown that some of them excel in almost every field: music, science, engineering, math, farming, medicine, and sports(Olympics,soccer).... but just the same they are average Europeans.