PDA

View Full Version : Disable sound for one application?

evil_twin
10-18-2005, 04:44 PM
I know this must be possible but has anyone actually written something that does this?

The idiots at pokerroom have changed their software so you get an annoying beep every time it's your turn. Unfortunately I already have the sound disabled in options, this particualr sound doesn't honour the setting.

Hopefully someone knows of a little program to strip sound from a particular application?

ghostface
10-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Try deleting the sound file.

MyMindIsGoing
10-18-2005, 05:05 PM
If the sounds are .wav files you can prolly just replace that sound with a blank one.

evil_twin
10-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Good idea but already tried and unfortunately it doesn't work.

The program recognizes the sounds are missing and downloads them when you first run. Deleting them after it has run is ineffective, I assume they have already been loaded into memory, since they happily play despite not being there.

Damn them!

SjPdX
10-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Don't delete the file, just edit it with a program like Adobe Audition (not sure of a free one) and delete the wave. Or just create a file named (sound).wav in a text editor and save it to the directory overwriting the other sound file.

evil_twin
10-18-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the sounds are .wav files you can prolly just replace that sound with a blank one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good plan. Sadly it doesn't work. The program obviously has some sort of checksum system and recognises that the file isn't the correct one, then downloads the new and much more annoying one into memory.

evil_twin
10-18-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't delete the file, just edit it with a program like Adobe Audition (not sure of a free one) and delete the wave. Or just create a file named (sound).wav in a text editor and save it to the directory overwriting the other sound file.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly it doesn't work. See my previous reply /images/graemlins/smile.gif

10-18-2005, 09:59 PM
mmmmh, modify it and place it in read only?

evil_twin
10-19-2005, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestion but this one doesn't work either. The auto updater fails then the program doesn't run. Argh!

I've tried editing the wav file as well, reducing the volume to something inaudible and various other things, all with no luck.

The checksum system they have on loading might just be as simple as checking the file size of each of these wav files, but I haven't yet figured out how to create a silent wav file of exactly the same size as the one they provide. It's probably an almost impossible task anyway, since I expect if the checksum was based on file size, it would be an exact to the byte check.

Anyone with further suggestions?

evil_twin
10-19-2005, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it is only the Pokerroom download software that has this awful new beep. The java version honors the "disable sound" option, so this is the workaround for now.

Not having player notes is a bind though.

10-19-2005, 06:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

E-mail them and give them hell? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif is it really that annoying? paradise as it too and you barely notice it...

evil_twin
10-19-2005, 06:57 AM
I've emailed them already /images/graemlins/smile.gif A fairly large fuss is being made on the Pokerroom "Pokah" forums as well, so I'm sure they will fix it with the next "upgrade". The problem is I doubt they will issue an upgrade for this one little fix, so we might be stuck with this for a while.

I usually listen to music or watch a movie via media player when playing, so it is rather distracting. When you've got 4 tables going you're getting a BEEEP approximatly once every 15 seconds, which kinda ruins any media experience.

I also just did create a wav file of the exact same size in bytes, but the auto-updater still managed to notice it was different and downloaded the beep on startup, so no luck there.

Guess I'm stuck with the java version, no stats, no notes, and no tracker for now.

evil_twin
10-19-2005, 10:12 AM
OK OK I've got it working sound free, it appears I was being an idiot.

Immediately on loading the program, before opening any tables at all, delete the sound. I assume the program only loads the sound when you open a table, so you need to delete the sound as soon as you run.

I realise that was probably pretty obvious to those who suggested deleting the sound, but somehow I managed to screw it up first time round and got the sound all the same.

Apologies for wasting peoples time, and many thanks for all your suggestions.