PDA

View Full Version : Price of beer

gulebjorn
10-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Since this is pretty hard to fit in a poll, we'll do it like this:

1. What country/city do you live in?

2. What is the price and brand of a regular beer over there?

3. Name one other brand you enjoy and the price.

Edit: We'll define a regular beer as 0.25L of beer from tap in a bar/restaurant/whatever.

Indiana
10-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Sam Adams is 6.99 for a six packy in Indy. Not bad considering a 6 pack in the Cayman Islands goes for 12.99. God I love my country.

Indy

gulebjorn
10-18-2005, 04:32 PM
I'll start.

1. Belgium/Tongeren

2. Stella Artois / $1.50

3. Orval / $2.50

Brainwalter
10-18-2005, 04:33 PM
At a bar, club, grocery or liquor store?

gulebjorn
[ QUOTE ]
Sam Adams is 6.99 for a six packy in Indy. Not bad considering a 6 pack in the Cayman Islands goes for 12.99. God I love my country.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about a regular beer your order in a bar/restaurant/whatever. Not a can /images/graemlins/confused.gif. Ugh.

swede123
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy is obviously setting up some kind of beer super-database. Give him all of these!

Swede

gulebjorn
10-18-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy is obviously setting up some kind of beer super-database. Give him all of these!

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious. Heard Sweden will drain your bank account if you wanna get drunk on any kind of regular basis over there.

Indiana
10-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Sorry. Indpls a beer at the bar (Sam Adams) would range from $3-$5. I paid $7.50 at Bavaria bar at Dam square in Amsterdam a few weeks ago however. Again, God I love my country.

Indy

tonypaladino
10-18-2005, 04:36 PM
The bars in NYC a pint of domestic beer ranges from $1.50 to $9+

rohjoh
10-18-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll start.

1. Belgium/Tongeren

2. Stella Artois / $1.50

3. Orval / $2.50

[/ QUOTE ]

Went to the LA Kings Game last week:
Stella Artois - $10.00, better than $8 they wanted for Bud.

astroglide
10-18-2005, 04:37 PM
i don't like beer or wine

Cancer Merchant
10-18-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I was talking about a regular beer your order in a bar/restaurant/whatever. Not a can /images/graemlins/confused.gif. Ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never seen Sam Adams in a can, but who knows what crap gets exported.

East Bay Area, California. Micro and imports run $3.50-$5 a US pint at mid range watering holes, macrobrew a buck cheaper. $9-$13 a pitcher (four or so pints).

Brainwalter
10-18-2005, 04:40 PM
1. Orlando
2. $1.75 Miller
3. $2.25 Killian's

swede123
10-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Yes, beer is expensive in Sweden. Typically at a bar you buy a half-liter glass (17 ounces) which will set you back $6-10. Now, this isn't anything fancy, it's usually the standard Swedish pilsner stuff which I'm not a big fan of.

Swede

[censored]
10-18-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much the same. I can't stand beer and I wouldn't really say I am fan of wine. I've had some bottles which were considered very good that I enjoyed but usually I am just left wondering what everyone is making a fuss about. Both IMO are things which people tend to really like because they believe they are suppossed to really them in order to be accepted. Although clearly i'm biased and probably wrong but that's how I've always viewed beer and (most) wine.

astroglide
10-18-2005, 04:43 PM
i think consumption of beer/wine would drop by roughly 98% if they suddenly contained no alcohol

i'll drink either of them occasionally. the taste no longer offends me, but the only reason for it is to ingest alcohol.

gulebjorn
10-18-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think consumption of beer/wine would drop by roughly 98% if they suddenly contained no alcohol

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously.

MonkeeMan
10-18-2005, 04:44 PM
My pool hall in Austin charges 2.75 for domestic and 3.75 for imports. I order Shiner Bock which is 3.75, I guess because it's imported all the way from Shiner, TX. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

swede123
10-18-2005, 04:45 PM
I'd agree with you as far as alcohol (whether beer, wine or liquor) being aquired tastes, and most people not initially liking this stuff. But once you train your taste buds to enjoy these things it definitely turns into much more than a social/peer pressure type of thing.

Swede

CollinEstes
10-18-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i'll drink either of them occasionally. the taste no longer offends me, but the only reason for it is to ingest alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be in that 2%. If something like say Arrogant Bastard tasted exactly the same but didn't have any alcohol in it I would still drink. But Bud, Miller, and Coors would be bankrupt.

Beer and Pizza
10-18-2005, 04:48 PM
This is the drink for you:

http://www.esworp.net/photos/photos-Thumbnails/968.jpg

CollinEstes
10-18-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My pool hall in Austin charges 2.75 for domestic and 3.75 for imports. I order Shiner Bock which is 3.75, I guess because it's imported all the way from Shiner, TX. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto for the prices in Houston. And I love to see resturants who list Domestic beers and Imported beers and Shiner Bock and Saint Arnold are listed as Import.

astroglide
10-18-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously

[/ QUOTE ]

so why do people pontificate on taste or have gormand debates over the artistic qualities of various esoteric brands? it sounds like an elitist competition to discover which cough medicine tastes the most 'interesting'. all the intense, vocal participants would shut right up and not care if they didn't have a cold.

canis582
10-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I live in a burnt out manufacturing city in Pennsylvania, Reading, and its usually 2 bucks or $1 during happy hour. Its either a pint glass or a 12oz plastic cup. I can only think of one or two trendy places where they try to make it $4.

mason55
10-18-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely love carbonated drinks. I can't drink more than half a soda without feeling sick though. Therefore, all that's left is sweet sweet beer, which I enjoy the taste of.

I love to get wasted too though, don't get me wrong.

astroglide
10-18-2005, 04:51 PM
carbonated spring water, diet soda, etc have ditto effects? (just curious, not working toward some kind of point)

CollinEstes
10-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Must be that Iron City garbage.

CollinEstes
10-18-2005, 04:54 PM
The same could be true about anything like Movies to Music don't you think. I enjoy beer like people like people like some indie bands noone knows about.

pokerdirty
10-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Irish Car Bomb - $8

Guinness - $5-$6

Leffe Dark - $6

in NYC

Indiana
10-18-2005, 04:56 PM
There are actually people who don't like cold beer?

WTF?

Indy

mason55
10-18-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
carbonated spring water, diet soda, etc have ditto effects? (just curious, not working toward some kind of point)

[/ QUOTE ]

Diet soda is even worse. I do drink a lot of Perrier but sometimes I want something with flavor. Besides carbonted water it's either some sort of soda or flavored carbonated water. Those flavored carbonated waters are pretty bad (I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners) so that just leaves beer.

If I'm at work or whatever I'm obviously not drinking beer thouhg, just Perrier.

pokerdirty
10-18-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much the same. I can't stand beer and I wouldn't really say I am fan of wine. I've had some bottles which were considered very good that I enjoyed but usually I am just left wondering what everyone is making a fuss about. Both IMO are things which people tend to really like because they believe they are suppossed to really them in order to be accepted. Although clearly i'm biased and probably wrong but that's how I've always viewed beer and (most) wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok [censored]. One day, you'll go through this change in life, called puberty. You will start to grow hair in different places, your voice will crack and squeek, your balls will drop, and you may even take a liking to females! After this stage, you should begin to develop a taste for alcohol.

MonkeeMan
10-18-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
which cough medicine tastes the most 'interesting'

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an easy one. Old school Robitussin, with the emphasis on 'interesting'.

BoogerFace
10-18-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the drink for you:

http://www.esworp.net/photos/photos-Thumbnails/968.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I vaguely remember a 1/5 of graves, a packet of red cool aid, and enough water to fill the rest of a gallon jug and a hike out in the woods with my high school buddies.

I was puking the next day.

Skjonne
10-18-2005, 05:10 PM
First sorry for not hi-jacking the thread like everybody else

1) Denmark/Copenhagen

2) $5 - Carlsberg

3) Westvleteren 12 - $10 (when available at all)

stinkypete
10-18-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since this is pretty hard to fit in a poll, we'll do it like this:

1. What country/city do you live in?

2. What is the price and brand of a regular beer over there?

3. Name one other brand you enjoy and the price.

Edit: We'll define a regular beer as 0.25L of beer from tap in a bar/restaurant/whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Toronto, Canada
2. Molson Canadian and Labatt Blue are probably the closest thing to "regular" beer. I don't know about 0.25L (who buys 0.25L of beer at a bar?), but a pint costs about 6.00 CAD on average, plus tip.
3. For some reason I like Carlsberg, and it costs the same. I don't bother with more expensive stuff - usually cuz I'm drinking from a pitcher with buddies.

gulebjorn
10-18-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay.

gulebjorn
10-18-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who buys 0.25L of beer at a bar?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, that's just the way it is over here. Some bars have 33cl glasses, but it's usually 25cl. In the Netherlands, it's even worse. You'll get a 20cl glass and pay more than we do in Belgium.

CollinEstes
10-18-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1) Denmark/Copenhagen

2) $5 - Carlsberg

3) Westvleteren 12 - $10 (when available at all)

[/ QUOTE ]

How often and where is Westy 12 available for you, and where do you live?

EDIT: nevermind just saw you were from Denmark.

Evan
10-18-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

it sounds like an elitist competition to discover which cough medicine tastes the most 'interesting'. all the intense, vocal participants would shut right up and not care if they didn't have a cold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup. Although I do like beer, I agree that the people bitching about drinking bud light or whatever are retarded.

tonypaladino
10-18-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the beers I like tasted exactly the same without any alcoholic content I wouls still enjoy them. Same thing with a good red wine.

Why does it bother you that people actually like the taste of beer and wine?

tonypaladino
10-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Oh, and I meant to mention it in my original reply:

Spaten Optimator, $7/pint
Best Beer Ever.

astroglide
10-18-2005, 05:45 PM
there are plenty of drinks i find more palatable or even likeable. some i would even drink on occasion even if they had no alcohol. when i first tried drinking i trained myself to drink warm, straight vodka from the bottle because i had no interest in flavor and only drank occasionally to get drunk. i ended up going to bartending school just to seek out drinks that i might actually like because i was flummoxed with wine/beer. as a certified 'mixologist' i think it's possible that i know more about mixed drinks than you.

as far as your response goes, you're basically playing right into me. you are probably the exact person i'm talking about. it doesn't bother me that some people like wine/beer, but the elitism irritates me, and i find it amusing that most would have nothing to do with it (this includes those that have already acquired the taste) if it weren't for alcohol.

rohjoh
10-18-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the beers I like tasted exactly the same without any alcoholic content I wouls still enjoy them. Same thing with a good red wine.

Why does it bother you that people actually like the taste of beer and wine?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, getting a buzz might have been what first brought you to drink beer, but people actually do like the taste. Why else would someone spend hundreds of dollars for a good bottle of wine? They could get a bottle of boones farm if all they wanted was a buzz.

MonkeeMan
10-18-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They could get a bottle of boones farm if all they wanted was a buzz.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could have back when it was introduced. Then it got popular. Then they lowered the alcohol content by about 20%. Then you couldn't drink enough of the crap to get a buzz.

So yea, it's all about the buzz.

astroglide
10-18-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why else would someone spend hundreds of dollars for a good bottle of wine?

[/ QUOTE ]

status? perceived value? the same reason people buy all sorts of things they can't fully appreciate or perceive. tennis rackets, audio equipment, you name it. consumerism is all about chrome. i've bought all sorts of things for appealing to such sensibilities.

i just find it odd that the beer/wine thing is fairly universally accepted snobbishness. there are all sorts of other things that are massively used/consumed/etc where somebody would be considered a prick if they took it so seriously or directly chided people whose choices were different from theirs.

it's funnier when you think about people emphatically arguing about the taste of something when they might drop it flat if it lost an element and managed to not affect the taste at all. i'm sure that this wouldn't be the case for everyone, but i think it would certainly be a wide majority, and it makes an interesting thought exercise to me.

rohjoh
10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

status? perceived value? the same reason people buy all sorts of things they can't fully appreciate or perceive. tennis rackets, audio equipment, you name it. consumerism is all about chrome. i've bought all sorts of things for appealing to such sensibilities.

i just find it odd that the beer/wine thing is fairly universally accepted snobbishness. there are all sorts of other things that are massively used/consumed/etc where somebody would be considered a prick if they took it so seriously or directly chided people whose choices were different from theirs.

it's funnier when you think about people emphatically arguing about the taste of something when they might drop it flat if it lost an element and managed to not affect the taste at all. i'm sure that this wouldn't be the case for everyone, but i think it would certainly be a wide majority, and it makes an interesting thought exercise to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it does make an interesting thought exercise. I tend to disagree with you on the wine, but I do think an arguement can be made for beer. Wine has been a staple of many civilizations for hundred if not thousands of years, and I think its appeal is not simply its alchol content. This is probably better debated in a seperate thread rather than hijacking this one.

astroglide
10-18-2005, 06:54 PM
i have no regrets about hijacking this thread. i think i gave it purpose.

i definitely agree with you that beer is a better example than wine in terms of the "drop flat percentage", but so much of wine today is elitism. i'm around it all the time.

James Boston
10-18-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course this is true, but that doesn't mean people don't like the way it tastes.

James Boston
10-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Northwest Alabama. Paid $2 for a Sam Adams Light at the bar I watched MNF at last night.

toddw8
10-18-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it does make an interesting thought exercise. I tend to disagree with you on the wine, but I do think an arguement can be made for beer. Wine has been a staple of many civilizations for hundred if not thousands of years, and I think its appeal is not simply its alchol content. This is probably better debated in a seperate thread rather than hijacking this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, beer has been around just as long as (if not longer than) wine and has been a staple of many civilizations as well.

HoldingFolding
10-18-2005, 11:09 PM
This thread might be more interesting if like were compared to like. I suggest a pint of Guinness (since that seems to be available in pubs the world over).

I'm a part owner in a pub in Osaka, Japan and we charge 850 yen (about USD7.75).

Skipbidder
10-18-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread might be more interesting if like were compared to like. I suggest a pint of Guinness (since that seems to be available in pubs the world over).

I'm a part owner in a pub in Osaka, Japan and we charge 850 yen (about USD7.75).

[/ QUOTE ]

I miss Iowa City. Before I moved to Illinois (5 or 6 years ago), it was easy to find Guinness for $1.50 a pint on special. $2.50 was the NORMAL price and available all over the place. Once I moved to Chicago suburbs, I found that the normal price for Guinness in bars was about $6 a pint (and this is a US pint). Too bad.