PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to legalize Pot?

etgryphon
10-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Hey All,

Interesting read on all of the pot threads on this board. I see a lot of peopel saying that pot should be legalized and tax. I personally think that this is a great idea. I do not think that it is a good idea to criminalize the drug. I think it is a losing battle for something that isn't really that dangerous. But, then I realized that I haven't done anything to actually change the laws like it do for my other political views (Gun Rights, Property Rights, Abortion etc.)

So I'm full of crap on this issue if I don't actually do something about it.

If you haven't done anything or plan to do anything: Why?

-Gryph

10-18-2005, 03:57 PM
I've volunteered/am volunteering on campaigns for people that want it legalized. I haven't lobbied for it specifically but it would be impossible to do that for every issue I stood for.

SheetWise
10-18-2005, 04:02 PM
I write my Congresscritters, and send money to NORML.

etgryphon
10-18-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've volunteered/am volunteering on campaigns for people that want it legalized. I haven't lobbied for it specifically but it would be impossible to do that for every issue I stood for.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is technically not true. The fact that you are posting on this forum means that you could send an email to the President, Congress, and Senate at the very least. Imagine if a couple of million people took the time to send a simple email to those people a couple of times a months. Technology is the great political liberator these days.

Things would change...

-Gryph

10-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Blah blah blah. Good point. Although I consider the time I spend at work on the computer reading and discussing politics as going to bat for certain issues, although that's a really pathetic way to do it. Anyways, I put my money where my mouth is and I get involved on a grassroots as well as federal level. Computer screen politics (I admit I do it, but I do a lot of other things as well) annoys the [censored] out of me.

Meech
10-18-2005, 05:13 PM
There should be another option there:

Voted Libertarian

Beer and Pizza
10-18-2005, 05:27 PM
I haven't done anything to legalize pot, murder, rape, theft, etc.

Sorry if I've let you down. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Autocratic
10-18-2005, 06:47 PM
I have been involved with the Drug Policy Alliance and NORML, and plan on interning at one or the other soon.

MelchyBeau
10-18-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm sure sending a letter to the president would work well. I can garantee that he reads every letter that is sent to him, and if you use a strong logical arguement you could persuade him to change his mind.

Melch

10-19-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who was it that said "open your mouth, and remove all doubt"?

did he know this guy?

natedogg
10-19-2005, 02:38 AM
What have I done? Since the 92 election I have never voted for a candidate who didn't come out and support ending the drug war entirely. In fact, I woudl never vote for a chicken-[censored] pansy who just wanted to "decriminalize" pot but continue prosecuting users of other drugs.

The War on Some Drugs is a joke.

The War on Poor People Who Use Drugs is a crime.

I'll never vote for anyone who doesn't say as much in their platform.

natedogg

Indiana
10-19-2005, 10:51 AM
I have much bigger concerns in my life than whether or not pot gets legalized.

Indy

etgryphon
10-19-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have much bigger concerns in my life than whether or not pot gets legalized.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you honestly realize the implication of just decriminalizing\legalizing pot would do to society. People tend to only look at it in terms of "I don't\do smoke so having it legal does't really matter..."

Just think if we legalized pot we would save 4.09 BILLION a year in criminal and Law enforcement. We would have on on the order of 500,000 people or so that would not be in jail. In addition, America spends around $10.5 billion a year on pot. If we levied a 4% tax on that, we are talking about 416 MILLION dollars in tax revenue with less health implications because it will be better regulated for safety. In addition, we will increase the production of hemp in the use of paper and other products and it will be more environmentally friendly.

Now, I have never done pot or intented to, I just am looking at the numbers and it doesn't seem to make sense to spend all the money. That is why I advocate the change of law.

-Gryph

vulturesrow
10-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Heck lets end the war on crime period. We havent been able to stop crime dang it!

Meech
10-19-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you donated to the catholic church?

10-19-2005, 02:35 PM
[censored] you. goddamn rape by holy men happens just as much in the other denominations, but it's only when a catholic priest does it that it makes news.

yeah, let's forget about the fact that the catholic church is the world's leading organizer and financial supporter of charities and non-profit organizations.

-eric, stout atheist-

Autocratic
10-19-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] you. goddamn rape by holy men happens just as much in the other denominations, but it's only when a catholic priest does it that it makes news.

yeah, let's forget about the fact that the catholic church is the world's leading organizer and financial supporter of charities and non-profit organizations.

-eric, stout atheist-

[/ QUOTE ]

Relax, man, he's pretty much joking. Besides, to compare other denominations' molestation incidents with the widespread coverups of the Church (which may be just due to its size) is ludicrous. But that's food for another topic.

Beer and Pizza
10-19-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not a member.

Do you pay school taxes?

(there are more cases of rape and pedophilia by teachers/coaches/employees in the public schools than in the Catholic Church - look up the statistics)

Autocratic
10-19-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not a member.

Do you pay school taxes?

(there are more cases of rape and pedophilia by teachers/coaches/employees in the public schools than in the Catholic Church - look up the statistics)

[/ QUOTE ]

Per teacher and with unwilling participants? I cry foul. Show me the stats, but I imagine it's hard to account for older teens who have affairs with teachers, since it's often still pedophilia, but there are clear differences.

Felix_Nietsche
10-19-2005, 03:16 PM
I have converted several people into seeing the the USA would be better off with legalized pot. All movements take time to germinate. Just writing a letter to a congressman will do NOTHING unless there are enough pro-pot voters to make a politician listen. If you just send a letter it will be filed away and nothing will happen because most policians believe supporting legal pot will be political suicide. Persuading people is the key. ESPECIALLY your typically republican church-goer. I found the best way is to organize debates between pro-pot vs the anti-pot crowd. Most people are surprised when the realize there is a lot of advantages to legalizing pot.

10-19-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-eric, stout atheist-

[/ QUOTE ]

Relax, man, he's pretty much joking. Besides, to compare other denominations' molestation incidents with the widespread coverups of the Church (which may be just due to its size) is ludicrous. But that's food for another topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh, sorry I tend to jump off sometimes about my former church because it always gets such a bad rap.

hypocrite that I am, I make priests jokes sometimes.

etgryphon
10-19-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have converted several people into seeing the the USA would be better off with legalized pot. All movements take time to germinate. Just writing a letter to a congressman will do NOTHING unless there are enough pro-pot voters to make a politician listen. If you just send a letter it will be filed away and nothing will happen because most policians believe supporting legal pot will be political suicide. Persuading people is the key. ESPECIALLY your typically republican church-goer. I found the best way is to organize debates between pro-pot vs the anti-pot crowd. Most people are surprised when the realize there is a lot of advantages to legalizing pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so cynical. I think everybody thinks that writing a letter doesn't mean anything. I know a couple of Congress people and they consider 25 letters about something an important development to look at. It can only help by writing the letters. I write the president and legislature on a weekly basis and I think it has an effect. Mostly on Gun Rights issues and I joined a couple of PACs with membership just in the thousands. It is really effective, at least in VA. I think political debates in college campuses are one of the best was to get things done.

BTW, I'm your semi-republican (libertarian-leaning) avid churchgoer who believes in legalized pot.

-Gryph

Beer and Pizza
10-19-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not a member.

Do you pay school taxes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Per teacher and with unwilling participants? I cry foul. Show me the stats, but I imagine it's hard to account for older teens who have affairs with teachers, since it's often still pedophilia, but there are clear differences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you like to bash groups perceived as conservative (the church) but you object when a liberal type institution (your typical public school) is exposed as failing.

Remember, the NEA doesn't act for the benefit of our kids, they act for the benefit of their union members. Should it surprise anyone that there are so many student victims in a world that puts their education and their safety as such a low priority?

10-19-2005, 03:50 PM
It also doesnt help that teachers are paid less than damn near everyone... some of our brightest stars coming out of college take one look at a teacher's paycheck and quickly walk the other way.

Meech
10-19-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But do other denominations systematically cover up, deny, and re-assign the guilty to fresh new congregations to begin anew?

The act itself, while dispicable, happens everywhere. The way the institution dealt with it is what is truly disgusting.

I really did not intend to hijack this thread -- but B&P tried to equate pot usage with murder, rape and other _real_ crimes.

Autocratic
10-19-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not a member.

Do you pay school taxes?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you like to bash groups perceived as conservative (the church) but you object when a liberal type institution (your typical public school) is exposed as failing.

Remember, the NEA doesn't act for the benefit of our kids, they act for the benefit of their union members. Should it surprise anyone that there are so many student victims in a world that puts their education and their safety as such a low priority?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't bash conservative institutions without merit, and I wasn't defending public schools in general, I was asking for statistics, which you never gave. I'll chalk it up to you being unable to understand the question.