PDA

View Full Version : $6.50 Turbo: 55 in BB with 3 limpers (BB t100)

illini43
10-18-2005, 02:44 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t4720)
MP1 (t1475)
MP2 (t1175)
CO (t1300)
Button (t1640)
SB (t1500)
Hero (t1690)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t100, MP2 calls t100, CO calls t100, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1690.</font>

<font color="black">My reads were that the limpers played way too many hands like many of the bad players at the $6.50 level. I didn't think they had anything here...they would have raised with a good hand.

Is this play too aggressive? Should I just check here and play for set value? </font>

pineapple888
10-18-2005, 02:50 PM
The idea is reasonable -- see "PVS" in the FAQ if you haven't already -- but all-in is highly questionable.

If you want to do this, pop it up to 600 or so. That's plenty to fold weaker hands.

illini43
10-18-2005, 03:12 PM
So if the blinds were lets say 100/200, would that make this play more reasonable with 900 already in the pot (3 limps + SB + BB)?

10-18-2005, 03:23 PM
I don't play turbos, but I like this play a lot.

All of these players are contending for the money. They know that they all stand in decent position and don't need to take a risk that would end this tournament for a couple hundred in the pot.

If you raised 500-600, you wouldn't fully be threating their tournament life.

I think you made the right play considering the amount you will pick up if no one calls as well as the odds you have if you run into and AJ caller.

If someone calls with a higher pair, oh well, onto the next. But, considering the chips you are picking up here, I think it is a +EV play in the long run and will move you into a much higher standing in this tourny.

I am a huge fan of this play.

-MG

pineapple888
10-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Yes, in that case you have no room for any raise less than a push.

At that higher blind level, it would be push/fold, because you wouldn't have enough set value to just call.

pineapple888
10-18-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you raised 500-600, you wouldn't fully be threating their tournament life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither would you be fully committing your tournament life.

The idea is to challenge your opponent's entire stack with only a portion of yours.

It's kind of a fundamental principle.

But whatever.

Hendricks433
10-18-2005, 04:50 PM
This is a $6.50 turbo by the way. I dont think I like this play. These are complete donks. I think their range could be wide here also Ive gotten stuck by people sandbagging and then they insta call with KK or AQ or something. Pop it to 600 like he said if you want to but whats your plan if someone pushes? Also your OOP so if they just call how are you going to play the flop? Push or check to him? I think this commits too many chips in a bad spot. I rather take a flop for free. Youll find a better spot to pick up chips easily.

pineapple888
10-18-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, in that case you have no room for any raise less than a push.

At that higher blind level, it would be push/fold, because you wouldn't have enough set value to just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, forgot that you are BB, so you would definitely have set value if you see the flop for free. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pineapple888
10-18-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a $6.50 turbo by the way. I dont think I like this play. These are complete donks. I think their range could be wide here also Ive gotten stuck by people sandbagging and then they insta call with KK or AQ or something. Pop it to 600 like he said if you want to but whats your plan if someone pushes? Also your OOP so if they just call how are you going to play the flop? Push or check to him? I think this commits too many chips in a bad spot. I rather take a flop for free. Youll find a better spot to pick up chips easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't make this move either on this hand, but if you're going to do it, at least do it right.

Nick M
10-18-2005, 08:21 PM
you say this like people at the 6.50s understand fundamental principles. I think you'll get called to many time for this to be a good play. I just check for set value. Unless i Had 1k or less in chips...than i'll push.