PDA

View Full Version : Don't You Dare...

03-01-2002, 04:51 AM
...question the President while we're fighting the war on terrorism. This is the kind of stuff that really pisses me off. We're not allowed to question or dissent while Bush's never ending war goes on? If it comes to that point, then I'm not an American anymore. How can Bush keep approval ratings so high with his idiot Republican buddies publicly bashing a fellow American for asking a perfectly sane question? IDIOTS. I can't believe thiese morons are in control.

03-01-2002, 10:04 AM
Assuming Lott and DeLay were quoted correctly in the article, what they said is not as bad as what Ashcroft said in the hearings which was really bad. They are not saying you can't dissent or you help terrorists. They are mostly saying Daschle is a piece of crap. Daschle must expect this. He is very political and plays a lot of manipulative political games himself. Usually he plays the games much more skillfully than the idiot Trent Lott. Trent Lott did nothing with the majority in the Senate and had a lot to do with losing the majority. Daschle is a better political player, but he should have responded much more strongly than he did here. Have a spokesman respond to this attack? No way, hit back hard. He could make Lott look really stupid here, because I don't think his comments were all that bad. And I can't stand Daschle. Daschle wants to run for President, but I think he knows he can't beat Bush in 2004 unless Bush does something really horrible in the next couple of years. He will have to wait until 2008, so he might as well hit Lott hard now.

I don't understand why you call our war "never ending." At some point there will be questions raised about what results we are getting in a given period of time. But we've only been at it a few months. Bush warned people the undertaking would take a while, but he shouldn't have had to because it is obvious when you consider the mission. The success we had in Afghanistan was amazing. We have not succeeded yet, but we have had success and accomplished a lot. Remember the naysayers before we started, you know, "... the Russkies had a Vietnam-type thing over there and..." Wars often take more than 3 months.

03-01-2002, 12:52 PM
I'm seeing things that scare me. Not fear of communists or terrorists, it's a fear of my own government. I don't see an end to the war on terrorism. Our actions, assuming we attack Iraq next, will only promote more anti-American sentiment. We're getting our talons into the Phillipines (didn't they ask us to get out a few years ago?) and Columbia. I see the war as an excuse to build up the military, massively increase the defense budget, and benefit big business. The few will get wealthier at the expense of the many. It's like I'm living through the Reagan administration all over again. When will it end? We've already got our next three targets in our sights, then I suppose we'll add Sudan and Somalia to the list. Those damned Somali's have it coming though, after that nasty black eye they gave us. They will always come up with an excuse to keep it going--they have to. War is big business. Why are we not attacking Iraq right now? We ran low on bombs, that's why. The war machine is cranking out more smart bombs as we speak. I think 9/11 was a blessing for Bush. If we didn't have the war on terrorism to focus on, then he'd be under the microscope.

I don't really know Daschle's background, but at this point the only politician I'm liking is Jesse Ventura. More on that later.

03-01-2002, 02:55 PM
Lott's comment was dumb.

The 'war' in the Phillippines will soon be over; the guerillas have been greatly reduced and soon will be gone for the most part. By the way they may not be much more than a large gang of thugs who practice kidnappings for ransom and who happen to have some al Qaeda ties. With US training the Phillippine government has been wiping them out at a pretty good clip recently.

The war on terrorism will take years, no doubt. However it is simply necessary. I don't think big business/big military is fueling this war...we were attacked. Terrorists are totally committed to further attacks upon us. It has been building for a long time--for decades terrorists attacked Europe (which did very little about it). Now the terrorists are more and are better organized, better-armed and far more dangerous. This is simply something that has to be dealt with.

03-01-2002, 04:52 PM
It definitely has to be dealt with, no arguments from me on that one. I just resent the implication that if you speak out against or question anything our government does, that you're an unpatriotic traitor. This goes against what I feel is the best thing about our country. I can move freely, congregate with whomever I choose to, and speak my mind without fear of imprisonment or other punishment. As long as I do it reasonably anyway.

My views on the war are more of a gut feeling. It's always been something that our government has had to protect us from. Communism, drug dealers, terrorists. They'll find something new when we tire of the current situation.

03-01-2002, 05:12 PM
I find Lott's remark a bit troubling and stupid, although it might have been more of a gut reaction than a well-thought out statement.

The fact is there have been, and still are, a lot of evils to combat in the world. Nazism, Fascism, Red Communism, and now Terrorism. Hopefully when we get through with this one there won't be any more but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't think the government 'found' any of these scourges in order to have something to combat; it's just reality.

03-02-2002, 02:58 AM
'I don't understand why you call our war "never ending." '

the administration has publicly stated that the war on terrorism will last at least a generation.

first they said years, then at least a generation, and then one time that it would last a 100 years.

if you dont believe me i can dig around for a link but im 100% sure. (not sure who said it, but someone speaking for administration).

brad

03-03-2002, 06:04 AM
Ripdog, maybe you can answer me this. Republicans are idiots. I'm assuming you're a Democrat or a supporter of the Democratic party. You can't believe Bush's approval rating goes up? First, look at who's being polled. Do you not find it wildly bizarre that Clinton's approval rating went up higher when he was in a sex scandel and lying to everyone in America? It didn't go up cause we had a smooth running economy, it did so cause he committed adultery with someone who was more than half his age, and an employee.