PDA

View Full Version : $20/40, those forum regulars: Pocket Sevens.

LarsVegas
10-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Online $20/40, full sixhanded table.

Very very aggressive game so far, I know 2 or 3 of the faces from previous play, and especially "KB" who come from my part of Norway and I've played and partied with live too. A couple of unknown faces, quite recently sat down, but as stated, very aggressive game, even by normal midlimit standards.

UTG folds, KB raises (he is always very aggressive, but a winning player at such, but tonight seems even more aggressive than normal), unknown - just seems to have been involved in a lot of pots too- (UN) coldcalls from cutoff, I 3bet 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif from the button, folded back to KB and UN who both call.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. KB checks, UN bets, I raise, KB 3-bets, UN caps, I call and KB calls.

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif. KB checks, UN bets, I call and KB calls.

River: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif. KB checks, UN bets, I fold and KB calls.

I know I messed up this hand BADLY somewhere. But where?

lars

tongni
10-18-2005, 02:14 PM
I would have folded preflop and on the flop when it's 2 more back to me. I like to isolate with mid pocket pairs against one person, or against two weak players, not vs two players so aggressive that you have to call a flop cap from.

LarsVegas
10-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I am a bit amazed by the lack of responses here. Given the results of this hand, it's turned out to be what I myself consider one of the most interesting hands I've played the last year.

UN showed 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif and KB showed 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and won the $650 pot at $20/40.

Okay, so I may have a fold/coldcall preflop here which would change the whole dynamics of the hand. But improve the cards to as little as 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, and I feel my preflop play is okay given the game conditions, my hand and position, and yet it would leave me with pretty much the same dilemmas after the flop.

I am struggling REALLY hard to set where I make my mistake in this hand, particularly if I give myself a slightly better pair preflop. Even Tens. How could I play a hand like that in the same situation here? Raise it up again on the turn?!?

lars

shemp
10-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Don't fold the river?

I wanted to say that what makes this hand hard is that the key player in this hand is unknown, but I don't think so. The pot is big, you got there however you got there, reasonably enough as it happens, call, it may be a small mistake against some 3rd wheels that you know who would *nearly* always give up against two other players and not make a desperation bet on the river. When you make that call on the flop, you've put unknown on a range of hands and KB on a range of hands that doesn't change as the hand progresses -- as much due to where the bet is coming from as much as anything else.

flawless_victory
10-21-2005, 06:39 AM
clearly you shoudve raised the turn... if youre not going to fold to the flop cap, raise the turn... as played i have no idea why you folded the river...

DeeJ
10-21-2005, 07:13 AM
In a very aggressive game you can be more passive and let your mid value hands earn more than they should. Either raise the turn (but you must know what you will do if it gets 3-bet) or simply call down. I wouldn't rate my chances particularly highly either at the river - maybe 10-15% - but with about 17 BB in the pot this surely has to be a call (notwithstanding Dcifr's recent post).

LarsVegas
10-21-2005, 07:31 AM
I know there is a mistake in here somewhere, but can I really raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet? Provided KB folds, I am getting something like 16-to-1 on my last call, and I guess I will be playing 2.5 outs on average (usually 2, sometimes 4 against 3-3 or even 5-5 and on some very rare occasions, 0 outs). And against an unknown player playing his very first real pot against me, there's always the added 2-3% chance that he's just a true maniac.

As for folding the river, which very well might have been a mistake, here's how I see it:

On the turn, I am getting 12.5-to-1 on my call. This is nearly enough to just draw to the two sevens and the occasional nine which could easily hold up against threes full and some flush draw / smaller pocket kind of hand. I also give my hand some very slight showdown value, but quite a few things I didn't like happened after my turn call:

1) The KB's overcall on the turn, leaving him behind me to act on the river after UN's bets.

2) The Ace (overcard) on the river. Another possibility of getting beat there. As I was, I wanted more undercards to the board, as results showed, undercards was excactly the only thing I needed to avoid here.

3) The river got bet again.

4) I didn't hit a seven (or nine).

But I guess the mistake lies in the river fold. I don't really fancy raising the turn with a dubious hand here, when I am unlikely to be drawing dead even in the face of a turn 3-bet.

lars

TStoneMBD
10-21-2005, 12:45 PM
i think 3betting preflop is a mistake. folding is terrible. id call. i really have nothing to say about postflop because it really depends on how aggressive these players truly are.

10-21-2005, 01:26 PM
I think you need to fold this on the flop to the checkraise cap. Let it go. I'm betting someone is in here with A 9 or 10-10. Release on the flop.