PDA

View Full Version : QQ on paired flop - How did I do?

FishyWhale
06-02-2003, 06:20 PM
3/6 full-handed typical game.

I raise with QQ utg, the loosest player on the table cold-calls in EP, another loose player calls in MP, button, a somewhat better player 3-bets (he wouldnīt do so with crap), I cap, all call. 4-way, 17sb.

Flop: 66T rainbow. I bet, EP and MP call, LP raises, I just call, other two also call.

Turn: T. I check, EP and MP checks, LP, bets, I hesitate but fold. How did I play it? Results later.

J.R.
06-02-2003, 06:48 PM
I don't see LP 3-betting pre-flop with JTs or such given your description. I would 3-bet the flop. It will make the turn play much easier. Dead money in the pot Rules! If LP 4-bets the flop, it will cost you 2.5 BBs to call him down after he has shown significant strength by raising at every chance- in that case you have to play poker, and folding is definately a possibility.

I would lead the turn after the 3-bet and fold to a raise. If LP calls the turn, I would check-call the river, especially if LP is prone to push overcards and bluff when given the chance.

Clarkmeister
06-02-2003, 11:39 PM
3-bet LP's flop raise.

FishyWhale
06-03-2003, 12:51 PM
River came a T for a board of T66TT and it got checked through. EP had 95s, MP had A2o, and LP had AKo, so I threw away the winner. Needless to say I felt quite sick after showdown, and I really donīt know who of the four of us played it worse: EP or MP with their absolutely horrid calls, LP because of his brainless aggression (I mean why raise the flop with AKo i.e. nothing when I could have a big pair or EP or MP a ten or trips???), or I because of my weak-tight play (but I guess LP still played it the best).

I have to agree with Clarky and the other poster about 3-betting because it was that loss of initiative which cost me the pot because thatīs what made the button bet out again, causing me to put him on AA or KK (and if he didnīt have it, a six or a ten would beat me too). Alternatively I could also have bet the turn and folded to a raise.

Thanks for your responses.

Zag
06-03-2003, 01:45 PM
I'm certainly not going to disagree with LP's playing, because he did exactly what I would have done, except that I would have bet the river, too. (It was clear to me, at least, that the two losers were also playing the board. Maybe one of them will drop to one more bet.)

Even if you assume that LP would only 3 bet from the button with Group 1 and Group 2 hands, which makes him pretty tight, then he could have:

AA (6 ways)
KK (6 ways)
AKs (4 ways)
AKo (12 ways)
QQ (1 way)
JJ (6 ways)

Of these, you are behind 12 of the hands and ahead of 22 of the hands.

Suppose that he would play all the pairs exactly as he did, and that he would play AK this aggressively only half the time. Therefore, of the hands he would play this way, 12 times you are behind, 14 times you are ahead, and 1 time you are tied. It is clear to call him down, IMHO.

FishyWhale
06-03-2003, 04:17 PM
You are correct in your analysis about calling him down - but there were also the two other players to worry about. If it had just been the button and me, I surely wouldnīt have folded.