PDA

View Full Version : stubbed toe and a nail falling off

gamblore99
10-18-2005, 01:08 PM
i stubbed my toe. it was not a hard stub,but my nail got cracked or something and looks like it may come off. it is still partly attached.

What should I do?

swede123
10-18-2005, 01:09 PM
http://www.deathonline.net/images/what_happens/saw.jpg
You need to show the other toes you mean business about this stuff.

Swede

BoogerFace
10-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Tape the the nail down and see a doctor.

4_2_it
10-18-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.deathonline.net/images/what_happens/saw.jpg
You need to show the other toes you mean business about this stuff.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly the only correct answer.

gamblore99
10-18-2005, 01:53 PM
booger, it looks like the doctor is going to be a huge hassle. LIke a 3 hour wait, and I have a lot to do today. Is there anyway around it? Do you have any experience with these things

wh1t3bread
10-18-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
booger, it looks like the doctor is going to be a huge hassle. LIke a 3 hour wait, and I have a lot to do today. Is there anyway around it? Do you have any experience with these things

[/ QUOTE ]

Just leave it alone. It will die, fall off itself and then regrow.

imported_ncray
10-18-2005, 02:04 PM
This just happened to me 3 weeks ago. I dropped my bike, kickstand first, on my toe, and it pried my nail off. I went to the doctor, but all she did was wash it and tell me to wrap it and put new antibiotic cream on each day.

gamblore99
10-18-2005, 02:06 PM
ok. whitebread and ncray I am gonna take your suggestion. Clean it and wrap it, that sounds easy and not so bad.

Thanks everyone for the help

dynamite
10-18-2005, 03:40 PM
This happened to me last year. You should clip off the part that is detatched. It's not going to stick back on to your toe. then wait about 6 months for toenail to grow in normal again.

gamblore99
10-18-2005, 04:07 PM
it really really hurts to walk. How long until this will go away?
As for clipping the nail, that sounds painful, and I think the nail is protecting the soft tissue underneath that would be exposed if I remove it.

jakethebake
10-18-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tape the the nail down and see a doctor.

[/ QUOTE ]

A doctor? Are you serious? Either pull it off or slap a dand-aid on if you must. It'll probably fall off anyway.

BoogerFace
10-18-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for clipping the nail, that sounds painful, and I think the nail is protecting the soft tissue underneath that would be exposed if I remove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only there were people who made a living at treating such problems....... /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

YSSCGTAD

Edit: infections suck

TheMetetron
10-18-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clip it. It's best let a doctor do it. You'd be amazed how much of the nail they need to clip off for it to heal correctly (not get ingrown, etc). When I did it, they gave me a local anesthetic. They took half my toenail off all the way down to the base.

Yeah, it hurts for a while until it heals.

J.A.Sucker
10-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Used to lose my toenail(s) every year skiing too much. It's not a big deal.

Put peroxide on it and keep it open, so as it doesn't get fungus. Sandals are a big plus, even though it looks gross. Eventually, the part of the nail that's coming off will die, and you can cut it off. If the entire thing is coming off, then pull it out - it hurts for a few minutes, but goes away fast - a big relief. It's amazing how long the big toenail is below your skin. It grows back in 6-12 months. In the mean time, the skin underneath gets tougher, and it doesn't hurt. Really, once the bleeding goes away from your stub, it shouldn't hurt. If you start seeing/smelling fungus, put some of that stuff on it from the drugstore. No need to see a doctor - people go to doctors too much.

CD56
10-18-2005, 05:07 PM
go see a podiatrist, not an MD