PDA

View Full Version : Bay101 hand

Ryno
10-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Bay101 40-80

I am not from NoCal so I am unknown to the table. I played several hours in the 80 game the day before with the villian - he would see me as tight, aggressive, but predictable. The villian (grey-haired Korean man) was described to me as "f*ing crazy" by a regular during that first session, and he does like to gamble. But he takes his time on the river and has made some tight folds so he is definitely a thinking player.

Villian limps in EP, I raise (or 2-bet, as they say up there) with AKo, 1 cold caller, villian calls.

Flop is K83 all diamonds (I do not have a diamond). Villian checks-I bet-cold caller folds-villian calls.

I'm rather surprised by the check-call. Not just that he's a flop gambler, and would love to raise it up with a big diamond, but he usually bets "loud", flinging the chips, and he is calling quiet.

Turn is the As. [Kd 8d 3d (As)].

Villian checks, I bet, he checkraises. Again, not flamboyant. I call.

River is a low diamond. He thinks for a long time, which is not unusual for him to do on the river, and then checks. I check behind.

Comments?

J.A.Sucker
10-18-2005, 01:05 PM
It was good to meet you. I was the regular from the other day (Saturday) that described the Korean guy as crazy.

I would 3 bet the turn here, but it's close. Can't see any problem with the way you played it, especially if you don't really know these guys.

Ryno
10-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Heh I thought you might be a 2+2er from some things you said - good to meet you as well. If I had been more talkative would you have stopped 3betting me all the time? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had him on a set, flush, or air that may or may not include a diamond. It was a strange line for him, that I had not seen him take. If he was just messing with me I wanted the 3rd bet on the river. But I am glad to get your opinion because you know him better than me.

BTW were you there when Jeff raised from the CO, I 3bet on the button, and he folded A8o faceup preflop? I had KQo. That ruled.

J.A.Sucker
10-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Yes I was. That was incredible, and I have never seen anything like it before. That one even got a grin out of Tommy A., who was sitting across the table. Jeff thought you were the biggest nit ever.

The 3 betting would have continued - too bad you kept outflopping me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

In your hand, Korean guy probably has an A, with either two pair or a diamond. Either way, get it in there. The river isn't a good spot for you. If he does have a set, he won't fold it, but maybe with your image, he would consider it.

Tommy Angelo
10-18-2005, 02:51 PM
"BTW were you there when Jeff raised from the CO, I 3bet on the button, and he folded A8o faceup preflop? I had KQo. That ruled."

I saw him do that. That creep. This happens everywhere I park myself. I play so good that everybody notices it and the smartest ones pick up on my best material and start doing it themselves. It's like I'm constantly shooting myself in the bootstrap or something.

Tommy

andyfox
10-18-2005, 08:41 PM
"he usually bets "loud", flinging the chips, and he is calling quiet."

I played a similar hand the other day, where I "felt" the turn check-raise coming. Like you, I had TPTK on the flop and top two on the turn. (There was only a two-flush on board on the turn, so mine played a bit easier.) In my hand, my opponent check-raised me on the flop and I 3-bet. He called the 3-bet with a sigh--an audible, body raising sigh.

Anyway, sure seems like your guy has a flush or set he's no longer proud of. My experience is that when a river thinker is thinking (as opposed to the fakirs) he's not folding to my river bet with a better hand than mine.

andyfox
10-18-2005, 08:42 PM
"the smartest ones pick up on my best material and start doing it themselves."

Interesting. In my game, the densest one pick up on my worst material and start doing it themselves.

I'm still thinking about which situation is better. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

elindauer
10-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Hi Ryno,

I'd bet the river and fold to a raise. Why? Well, he may call you with a weaker two pair. He may fold a set. He may fold a small flush! Who knows. This guy is crazy, and you don't know him well enough to know what he is going to do on this board. All you know is, he's capable of tight folds, and your bet certainly looks strong. So bet.

When in doubt, make the aggressive mistake. If he calls and you win anyways, hey, even better.

my 2 cents.
eric

steveyz
10-18-2005, 09:10 PM
I don't think villian is folding a low flush to a river bet. A set, maybe, if he puts you on AA/KK, but I see that as very unlikely as well.

elindauer
10-18-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think villian is folding a low flush to a river bet. A set, maybe, if he puts you on AA/KK, but I see that as very unlikely as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know this particular guy. Do you? All I know is he's "f*ing crazy" and capable of tight folds. In a live game, I don't think it's difficult to imagine him folding a small flush, and even less difficult to imagine him folding a set.

If he calls and shows a small flush, then fine, don't bet it next time. For one bet in a big pot, I'm going to find out.

No one bets without a diamond here? Then why should your opponent call? This guy sounds capable of following logic like this.

my 2 cents.
Eric

Ryno
10-19-2005, 02:02 AM
When he took his time on the river, I knew I was calling a bet, so it came down to what I'd do if he checked. I applied the 55% S&M rule. If I bet and he doesn't fold, am I good 55% of the time? I didn't think so. Will he fold hands better than mine? I figured that after taking that long to check, he now realized he had to call a river bet with a set, and certainly with a small flush.

He checks, and I insta-check behind him. He pounds the table. Good read, Ryno. Then he turns over A8o no diamond and MHIG. Oops. Nice read, J.A.

As for 3-betting the turn, I figured it was close, and if there were metagame benefits to be had, I would probably have done it (there weren't because I was leaving in a few hours).