PDA

View Full Version : Turns out important things DO come in the mail sometimes.

Slow Play Ray
10-18-2005, 08:26 AM
I just got pulled over for driving with expired plates. Luckily, the cop followed me into my work parking lot, and let me off with a warning and the advice not to leave the parking lot until I renew my registration (he could have had my car towed and impounded).

So the moral is - I think I should start checking my snail mail more than one every other month.

Los Feliz Slim
10-18-2005, 10:45 AM
The problem is that the signal-to-noise ratio on snail mail is so totally out of whack. I get 10 pieces of mail a day, and maybe one piece every three days that I need to see. The mass mailers disguise their BS to look like actual mail, and I end up not opening the *one* item I need.

Something needs to be done about this.

10-18-2005, 10:57 AM
I check my snail mail about once every 2 weeks. My mailman is very pissed off at me. Thats how long it takes to fill up my small mailbox in my condo and he ends up having to stuff the crap in there any way he can. He has threatened to stop delivering to my mailbox and force me to go down to the post office to pick it up if I keep neglecting to pick it up from my mailbox. But I dont care. I hate picking up/sorting through all the crap. I think %99 of the stuff i get through the mail is useless.

BoogerFace
10-18-2005, 10:59 AM
That's really wierd. Doesn't your inspection sticker expire around the month you need to renew you registration?

jakethebake
10-18-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got pulled over for driving with expired plates. Luckily, the cop followed me into my work parking lot, and let me off with a warning and the advice not to leave the parking lot until I renew my registration (he could have had my car towed and impounded).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ridiculous. Last time I got a ticket for this, the cop told me just get the registration taken care of and they'd waive the ticket. He also said since it would take me a couple of days to just keep the ticket and show it to the cop if I got pulled over again and they wouldn't give me another one.

Slow Play Ray
10-18-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

That's really wierd. Doesn't your inspection sticker expire around the month you need to renew you registration?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - it starts off his way, but I got a new registration when I bought Red Sox license plates. It can also get thrown out of whack if you wait until the first day of the next month to get your inspection sticker, which I also do often.

Slow Play Ray
10-18-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's ridiculous. Last time I got a ticket for this, the cop told me just get the registration taken care of and they'd waive the ticket. He also said since it would take me a couple of days to just keep the ticket and show it to the cop if I got pulled over again and they wouldn't give me another one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't get a ticket - just a written warning.

I paid it online and received a confirmation email that said they will mail the new registration and plate sticker, and I cannot drive without them unless I print out the email and keep it in my car...

astroglide
10-18-2005, 11:38 AM
i always ignore certified letters because i'm not going to drive to the goddamn post office to pick up a letter. everybody should be grateful that i've finally started reading my mail on a regular basis. god only knows who it is that's trying to contact me, or why, but i get a certified letters at least twice a year. it should at least say who sent the goddamn thing.

ghettorat
10-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Had the same thing happen to me in April. Luckily got pulled over in the town I grew up in by someone I knew. They told me to go back to my parents house and register online. My renewal was due in February, but had never come in the mail.

mmcd
10-18-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i always ignore certified letters because i'm not going to drive to the goddamn post office to pick up a letter. everybody should be grateful that i've finally started reading my mail on a regular basis. god only knows who it is that's trying to contact me, or why, but i get a certified letters at least twice a year. it should at least say who sent the goddamn thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see any reason to ever pick up a certified letter. I can't really think of anything good that could possibly be inside that envelope.

AceHigh
10-18-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it should at least say who sent the goddamn thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they told you who sent it you would KNOW not to pick it up, instead of just thinking you shouldn't pick it up.