PDA

View Full Version : Here's the probability question...

Toddy
10-18-2005, 08:18 AM
I figured easier just to post it. I got this question in my statistics class and i need help that shows the work. I appreciate any help.

The WPT selects 10 top players to participate in contest. Each of the 10 WPT players are blindfolded and told to pick from 2 decks of cards. 1 Deck is a rare binions original deck of cards worth thousands of dollars, and the other deck of cards is a replica worth $2. The Players are then asked to identify the Binions deck. If the players have no ability whatsoever to discern the more expensive deck, what is the probability that the more expensive deck will be correctly identified by:

A) More than half of the players
B) None of the players
C) All of the players
D) Between half and all of the players, inclusive
E) Exactly four players

Thanks if anyone can help me with this. I know its not exactly a holdem question.

10-18-2005, 09:27 AM
This is a very simple example of a binomial distribution. The formulas are very simple and available in your textbook. You can check your results against online calculators.

Good luck with your statistics class.

Toddy
10-18-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a very simple example of a binomial distribution. The formulas are very simple and available in your textbook. You can check your results against online calculators.

Good luck with your statistics class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay ill take a look.. We had 15 questions and i did the other 14 w/ no problem.. Ill have to look that up. Thanks.

Toddy
10-18-2005, 09:44 AM
IM using the formuals in the book. It uses the example of a coin being flipped 3 times. There are 8 different possibilites. For this is there 1024 possibilities? Im guessing i just to 2 x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2= 1024

10-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Here ya go:

http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m11024/latest/

It even has the specific problem that you're asking about and a binomial calculator. The web is a wonderful resource!

Toddy
10-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Cool. I just figured it out on paper.. Odds of getting 4 out of 10 is 26.25%

Also i can do the same math for all of the players and none of the players picking the correct deck right? IT will be the same answer, right?

10-18-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also i can do the same math for all of the players and none of the players picking the correct deck right? IT will be the same answer, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
LEARN TO THINK FOR YOURSELF. It is a valuable skill and you have to learn it sooner or later. And stop PMing me please, I've answered three and have better things to do than your homework.

SumZero
10-18-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LEARN TO THINK FOR YOURSELF. It is a valuable skill and you have to learn it sooner or later. And stop PMing me please, I've answered three and have better things to do than your homework.

[/ QUOTE ]

As punishment Toddy should write on the blackboard all 1024 cominations of picks by the people and count them to get the right answer.

Toddy
10-18-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As punishment Toddy should write on the blackboard all 1024 cominations of picks by the people and count them to get the right answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider it done. Actually Phil did help out alot thanks. Once i got the formulas going it was a peice of cake.