PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night Football Moves

02-28-2002, 11:05 PM
John Madden in, Miller, Fouts, and Dickerson out. Thank God.

The only reason MNF ever had three announcers anyway was so a drunk Cosell wouldn't fall off to one side.

03-01-2002, 01:41 AM
Heard a great Cosell story. A woman approaches him at the airport and tells him how thrilled she is to meet him, what a great man he is, how much she enjoys his work, how honored she is to have seen him. Cosell stands up, bows, kisses the lady's hand and says, "Madam, the pleasure is all yours."

Loved Turturro as Cosell in the recent TV movie.

03-01-2002, 12:38 PM
Everyone bashes Miller and Fouts.

I was rooting for Miller, and I'm disappointed that he's out, but I don't fault the decision to drop him.

And I understand that when a network has to choose between Madden and Fouts, they'll take Madden every time (even though I tired of Madden's shtick about 10 years ago).

But what's WRONG with Fouts? I thought he knew the game, and was articulate.

Bobby

03-01-2002, 01:40 PM
although redundant, is fitting for the ABC execs and, now, 1/2 of the MNF booth.

John Madden has lost whatever he may have had as a sports broadcaster. His observations about the game are repetitive, obvious, and frequently incorrect. I have deliberately avoided his games for many years, when possible. When not, as for this year's SB, my avoidance mechanisms are reinforced. I didn't watch a lot of MNF this past year as I was pretty busy, but I can't see myself watching much in the future unless I have control over the volume. My prediction is that Madden will happily mail-in a season or two, collect paychecks, and then abandon ship.

And how badly must ABC execs think this year failed if they are willing to make wholesale switches from the current lineup to something so old and spent? The boys at Fox must be having a good laugh over this one.